Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting disheartened by lack of weight loss............ page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Getting disheartened by lack of weight loss............

Primal Fuel
    Hey there,

So, it's been almost 2.5 months, and I'm not shifting weight.... It's now starting to get me down, and loose hope.

I have about 20lbs to lose, or in other ways, a fair number of inches to lose - either would be acceptable.

For the main I have been eating primal, I've dropped dairy too which was perhaps stalling me, and no massive difference noticed at all.

I'm a bit unable to do the physical side of things through an injury to my back, but I've managed to up my walking to about 1.5 hours a day.

Typically my diet is something like this:

Morning - coffee w' cream / 2 splenda's / coconut oil
    Lunch - canned tuna w' mayo or recently home made meatballs and crustless quiche
    Dinner - chicken or steak fried in butter and olive oil with cauli & brocolli
    Snacks - bananas / avocados / apples

I'll admit to eating carbs every now and then but in the main (5 out of 7 days min) I've been keeping to the above, and when I do eat bread or something, it's a burger bun or bread roll, or tablespoon of pasta salad etc.

All the posts with people dropping in the first week makes me feel like I'm totally off, which from what I know is not true, but can anyone help?

I'm at least maintaining and I think it's about 1500 calories on average a day I'm consuming - my other stats are below.

thanks in advance for anyone who can help - I really really do appreciate it.

PG!!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

fresa is offline Member
    This might help you, if you haven't seen it:
    17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

My immediate reaction to your diet is ditch the splenda, and go full primal (aka no gluten ever!) I know that's hard, but I do think it would make a difference. It doesn't sound like you are very overweight or obese (50 or more lbs), like a lot of those people who see a huge drop initially are. Those last pounds will be harder, particularly if you are still eating wheat, or are not primal in general, on the weekends. Others might have different advice, that is just my two cents!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    How are you feeling otherwise? Did you start eating primal w/ any diagnoses for pre-existing issues?

While I don't think the Splenda is the reason for not losing weight, you might want to swap that for Stevia or eliminate the sweetener altogether. Artificial sweeteners are pretty nasty.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How are you feeling otherwise? Did you start eating primal w/ any diagnoses for pre-existing issues?

While I don't think the Splenda is the reason for not losing weight, you might want to swap that for Stevia or eliminate the sweetener altogether. Artificial sweeteners are pretty nasty.
    I'm trying LOL! - I have already as I was having alot of berries with heavy cream plus a tonne of splenda, and that has gone - no changes...........!

I've come into Primal from a low carb diet (a la Atkins-ish) but never ate any of the frankenfoods. I was not eating alot of fruit or veg and was eating alot of dairy. That has changed to the opposite now I think.

It's frustrating that there may be something I'm doing that is obvious. I keep switching things up, like not having brekkie / having brekkie, eating dairy / not eating dairy, eating fruit / not eating fruit, having some white carbs such as potatoes / not having them and so forth...........

I'm not overly stressed, I am a good sleeper, I'm reaping the other rewards (skin / mentally brighter / no more arthritis), so I'm confused about the stall so early on in the game.

Hey Ho -

thanks for the support guys - I really need it right now and I hate asking for help / advice, goes against my nature
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    You know, looking at what you're eating, you may be having too much sodium in your diet. I know that, early on, high sodium content in my meals made me retain water and not drop a pound at all. It was really apparently on football weekends, where I'd have salty meats and salty cashews. I figured out when football season started that the high sodium stuff and I didn't agree, so I dropped them.

I later worked it back in slowly after I hit my initial goal of losing 60 pounds.

The tuna is canned, and the mayo certainly has its fair share of sodium in it.

Your snacks with Banana's and Apples, though certainly Primal, also contain a good bit of sugar as well. Fructose isn't evil but early on it can derail you/stall you out. It did me. I went fruit free for my first 5-6 months Primal to make sure it didn't mess me up.

Finding a good snack food is tough, but meat and cheese work well for me (a slice each usually helps curb the hunger).
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pinot-Girl!

At your weight/height, you're pretty close to a healthy weight. Losing weight is a lot harder when you don't need to lose much. It takes longer. When someone has aver 100 pounds to lose, it goes fast at first, but it's not your case. Keep going, you'll get there, it just takes longer. Also, walking is a very good exercice. I have 10 pounds to lose and they are hard to lose! Walking helped lose 5, in a year. I'm now at my last 5 pounds and I know it will take a long time. My advice would be to not eat late, keep walking, be patient and don't go lower than 1500 cal a day cause you will stall for real and then gain.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Waterlily; 08-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you have started training recently, your body may be re-composing i.e. adding lean tissue when loosing fat, so that may be one reason why the weight does not move! I don't agree with those posters that say Splenda is generally bad, but some people can react against it, as to everything else. Also check up the amount of calories in added fat and make sure that you measure accurately, that's VERY important, especially when measuring energy dense food...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Thanks guys,

Right, I'll drop the fruit to special occasions as I was having at least one piece, if not 2 a day. I'll swap out for some sliced meats and cheese. I'll add hard cheese back in as I don't have a lactose issue and dropping it didn't seem to make a diff.

It's mainly the tummy that is feeling puffy (not from wheat puffy, that has gone) but there is some blub there for sure.

I'm happy to be walking again, it's something I wasn't able to do for the first 6-7 weeks as I was suffering alot with an SI joint issue which is clearing up thanks to a 'back healer'.

The other thing I was thinking was dropping my coffee's from 2 to 1 and with that the splenda, so thanks - that will be changing in the morning.

Feeling more hopeful - I REALLY appreciate it.
    PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If you have started training recently, your body may be re-composing i.e. adding lean tissue when loosing fat, so that may be one reason why the weight does not move! I don't agree with those posters that say Splenda is generally bad, but some people can react against it, as to everything else. Also check up the amount of calories in added fat and make sure that you measure accurately, that's VERY important, especially when measuring energy dense food...
    When you say 'added' fat, do you mean the coconut oil in coffee and butter on veggies etc?? I currently eye ball it, so maybe that needs to change too.
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Feeling more hopeful - I REALLY appreciate it.
    PG!
    Good to hear!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast