Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting disheartened by lack of weight loss............ page 3

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey there guys,

Thanks so much for all your replies. I appreciate it so much.

I got so pissed off and down yesterday that after sailing / racing, I had ice cream at the Yacht club afterwards with dinner...... I was just in that 'f*ck it' mood which is not cool.

I haven't had canned tuna and mayo since making my own quiche and meatballs and have to say I don't want to switch it back. I had on reading, switched to drinking only my coffee in the morning w' CO, but now I'll swap back to a nice eggy breakfast and will start drinking green tea. Ditching the coffee will not be easy, but I don't like it black......

My injury is improving finally (albeit slowly) - and I'm able to walk 1.5 hours a day, usually I have a pack on my back as I walk to work with gear to change into for sailing. I'm thinking of trying the sprinting and how it goes. As I'm changing the muscles in my body I'm reluctant to try and do the weights my body is so twisted, and strengthening that twist doesn't sound like it will be good long term. I'm thinking of waiting till I'm straighter which will come in a few months.

Really appreciate everyone's guiding thoughts and ideas, I also have to start being a bit more aware of what I'm eating and to stop sabotaging myself.

Big high five to y'all!

PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    I had on reading, switched to drinking only my coffee in the morning w' CO, but now I'll swap back to a nice eggy breakfast and will start drinking green tea. Ditching the coffee will not be easy, but I don't like it black......
    PG!
    I drink my coffee with one sugar cube and a splash of creme. I don't think it hurts anything, personally, although this morning I had three cups (well, maybe more like 2/2.5, because I refresh the coffee and I don't add sugar every time) and I was really wired. I wanted to do, like, martial arts or go for a long run or something. Sadly, I was at work so that didn't happen.

Good luck on everything!

primalbeauty is offline Junior Member
    Just wanted to chime in and offer my support. I am in the same boat, it is very hard to go 100 percent. Have been practicing this at 70 percent for a while without significant change on the scale. I thought the beauty of primal was not having to measure? I have about 10 lbs to lose. I was thinking about measuring everything too - body and food wise. How often are you weighing yourself? Sometimes weighing every day gets frustrating. I am thinking that limiting the cheese and the fruit would help. I am about your age and have been on birth control pills for about 20 years, was also considering looking at non hormonal options to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by primalbeauty View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and offer my support. I am in the same boat, it is very hard to go 100 percent. Have been practicing this at 70 percent for a while without significant change on the scale. I thought the beauty of primal was not having to measure? I have about 10 lbs to lose. I was thinking about measuring everything too - body and food wise. How often are you weighing yourself? Sometimes weighing every day gets frustrating. I am thinking that limiting the cheese and the fruit would help. I am about your age and have been on birth control pills for about 20 years, was also considering looking at non hormonal options to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Hey PB

Perhaps we can buddy up and support one another? I'm happy with this 'diet' as it's helped in other areas which I suspect I should be more grateful for, but the daily threads about how amazing the weight drops of others is disheartening.

I am going to take further steps and start eating brekkie, less salt, and measuring a bit more than I have been. Going to ditch the coffee and fruit till I see a change and up the water too.

I measured about 4 weeks ago, and perhaps I should again to see if there is a change. I weigh myself randomly every few days but haven't for a while. I go by how my clothes feel for the most part and how my tummy sticks out when I'm sitting.

I came off birth control a few years back, it took me a long time to get my cycle back - had been on them 20 odd years. I take ibuprofen for pain, which may lead to water retention I've heard. Hmmmmm.....

PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I got so pissed off and down yesterday that after sailing / racing, I had ice cream at the Yacht club afterwards with dinner...... I was just in that 'f*ck it' mood which is not cool.
    It was kind of something like this that led me to make sure I bump up my calories once in awhile when calorie restricting. I'd get on these plateaus where I didn't lose weight for more than 10 days and I'd get so pissed off (I was being really strict) that I'd eat like 50% more than normal. The next day, I'd see a one or two pound drop. That happened two or three times when I realized that it might be a good way to break a plateau. IOW, don't beat yourself up for the ice cream.

Our bodies are incredibly adaptable. My personal opinion only is that for some, free eating, low carb, or even restricting calories isn't enough. I've seen a number of posts on here and heard from friends offline that low carb gets the first 40 pounds off fairly easily, and then something else has to be done. Whether it's changing up macros, counting calories, changing up exercise, etc.

I think that might be why some people have success with UpDayDownDay if they stick with it. Of course the problem with anything often sticking with it.

I feel your pain. Losing weight, especially for women, is a complete and total bitch.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It was kind of something like this that led me to make sure I bump up my calories once in awhile when calorie restricting. I'd get on these plateaus where I didn't lose weight for more than 10 days and I'd get so pissed off (I was being really strict) that I'd eat like 50% more than normal. The next day, I'd see a one or two pound drop. That happened two or three times when I realized that it might be a good way to break a plateau. IOW, don't beat yourself up for the ice cream.

Our bodies are incredibly adaptable. My personal opinion only is that for some, free eating, low carb, or even restricting calories isn't enough. I've seen a number of posts on here and heard from friends offline that low carb gets the first 40 pounds off fairly easily, and then something else has to be done. Whether it's changing up macros, counting calories, changing up exercise, etc.

I think that might be why some people have success with UpDayDownDay if they stick with it. Of course the problem with anything often sticking with it.

I feel your pain. Losing weight, especially for women, is a complete and total bitch.
    Hey,

Although I have no real proof, I spent this past weekend (3 days) on a boat, and racing. I tried to eat primal, but not able to do it 100 or even 80% and ironically I felt slimmer after? No idea if it was in my head, but I believe I'd done more exercise (lifting sails is hard, as is moving from rail to rail and having to hang on for dear life!!!), but I think I had more carbs than I would have had normally.

I'll keep playing around with it - I'm currently forgetting to eat lunch for most of the week, and eating a big dinner.

Progress not perfection and I will try not to beat myself up, and I won't be going back to the old diet of donuts and pizza's that is for sure......

Cheers again guys,
    PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

leighlu is online now Senior Member
    I second the bone broth. Adding a cup a day of home made broth unlocked the door for me. Maybe a coincidence but the week I satrted it I broke a three month plateau and have kept on losing.

speednutsII is offline Member
    Generally takes a few months to shift your metabolism. That's why so few ways of eating (i.e. diets) tend to work for people. They are usually too difficult to keep up for the few months needed to see some results. I'd give it 4-5 months if possible. In addition, ditch the cream and especially the splenda.

Gypsykim is offline Junior Member
    I too have not had the greatest weight loss. I didn't do this entirely for weight loss, but I seem to go up and down a few pounds here and there, but overall, down about 5 pounds since the starting full on the end of April. My husband on the other hand, needs to buy new clothes.

We are all different, just give it some time and keep at it. You will at least be healthier.

English Rose is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Pinot-Girl

Hope I can encourage you a bit with my experience. I too am 5' 4" and when I started to adopt the primal lifestyle weighed 136lbs so although I carry some excess fat I wasn't much above my ideal weight. I started with 2 primal meals a day generally (with the odd cheat meal from time to time) and no snacks but still had oats for breakfast on weekdays as I had done for years. I didn't think this make a huge difference if majority of what I ate was primal and I'd cut out gluten by cutting out all other grains. I did this for about 3 months and lost no weight although I could see I'd lost some fat from my middle so I was benefiting from this way of eating. However I knew at some point I should remove the oats from my diet but couldn't come up with anything as quick and easy that appealed to me first thing in the morning. It wasn't until I looked into IF that I realised breakfast wasn't as important as I'd always been brought up to believe and this would solve my problem - I didn't need to find something to replace the oats I could just skip breakfast. In order to try and keep my energy levels up I decided to go with bulletproof coffee instead. In 2 weeks totally grain free I've dropped to 130lbs. I'm assuming this is through giving up the last of the grains as, although my calorie intake may have dropped a little as well, I don't think that would be by a sufficient enough amount to account for 6lbs.

I would suggest that if you can you try 2 weeks completely free of grains ands see how that goes for you. I believe that it made a big difference to me and I didn't find it hard at all as once I'd given up the oats I was surprised to find I totally lost all cravings for grains.

Best of luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast