Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting disheartened by lack of weight loss............ page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    When you say 'added' fat, do you mean the coconut oil in coffee and butter on veggies etc?? I currently eye ball it, so maybe that needs to change too.
    "Eyeballing" added fat such as cream, mayo, butter and coconut oil is the highway to failure on a diet, just saying...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I would be discouraged also after 2.5 months. I think maybe I would start getting accurate measurements and tracking. You won't have to track forever, nor measure forever, but it might be a good idea too find out exactly how much you're eating. All you need are measuring spoons, measuring cups, a food scale, and an online tracker.

Don't lose heart!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    You don't mention your age and if you've had kids/been pregnant?

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I would be discouraged also after 2.5 months. I think maybe I would start getting accurate measurements and tracking. You won't have to track forever, nor measure forever, but it might be a good idea too find out exactly how much you're eating. All you need are measuring spoons, measuring cups, a food scale, and an online tracker.

Don't lose heart!
    Thanks - I'll get some small scales and measuring spoons. I was tracking my foods but guessing weights etc. so prob not 100%!!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    You don't mention your age and if you've had kids/been pregnant?
    40 years and never had kids or been pregnant....! Have always been on the heavier side of things apart from the one time I worked in retail and was on my feet for 40-50 hours / week, then I slimmed down a tonne (I also ate v poorly and drank alot). I'm now tea-total.
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I have/had a lot more (90-100 lbs) to lose than you. So far I've managed to lose 55, with 30 of them lost through primal in the last year. I don't count calories/fat, but I do watch carbs. My sweet spot seems to be between 20-50. I can do 1-2 days a week higher carb, but never really go above 120, and still lose something that week. I treat potatoes & bananas (only fruit I eat) as "treats" on the higher carb days, not something I can have every day. My diet mostly consists of meat/fat/veggies. If I have a "cheat" meal, something like pizza and beer for example, I know there will be NO loss that week and usually a slight gain. Some have it a lot easier in the losing weight department. Not me, I have to be strict with carbs & non-primal food if I want to lose.

Thanks for your insight Stacy15.

Think I've got great things to work on - and these last 20 or so pounds are not going easily. At my heaviest 2 years ago I was topping out at roughly 170lbs, so I know I've made progress in that time. But nothing for months is sooooooooooooooo disheartening!!!

PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I would also ditch the Splenda! Google the affect of Splenda on insulin and you'll find links to a study that shows its affect on the body (I'd give you the link but don't know how to do it from my phone).

I know you're not having a lot, but every little thing you can do helps! If I sweeten something I use stevia/erythritol which while not perfect is better than Splenda and other artificial sweeteners.

Also I know you have an injury, but have you looked into all your options with regard to more weight bearing exercise? Anything that increases muscle mass is great for shifting body composition! There may be some things you can't do, of course, and you may have to watch how much you lift, but there may be some beneficial exercises that would be appropriate for you to perform.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing broth? Very nutritious and great snack. To add to what Iron Fireling said, with your injury it might be difficult to do weights but could you add some ankle or wrist weights to your walk. Maybe take one big walk a week, double your daily walk one day a week.
    Life. Be in it.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Typically my diet is something like this:

Morning - coffee w' cream / 2 splenda's / coconut oil
    Lunch - canned tuna w' mayo or recently home made meatballs and crustless quiche
    Dinner - chicken or steak fried in butter and olive oil with cauli & brocolli
    Snacks - bananas / avocados / apples

I'll admit to eating carbs every now and then but in the main (5 out of 7 days min) I've been keeping to the above, and when I do eat bread or something, it's a burger bun or bread roll, or tablespoon of pasta salad etc.

Drinking a lot of calories - I would suggest eat a breakfast made of food (eg leftovers or vege omelette) or switch to tea without the cream and oil.

Still lots of non primal things - splenda, canned tuna, mayo, bun, roll and pasta. They really should go. It adds up over time, and stops you exploring all the wonderful primal options. The meatballs and quiche sound like a much better option. Add a salad or soup and you have a decent meal.

Dinner sounds good but fruit is high carb and agree that meat or cheese or an egg would be a better choice. However snacks should not be necessary during weight loss phase anyway. Just have proper meals.

Another plug for weights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast