Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much protein for 15 yr old guy? page

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

How much protein for 15 yr old guy?

Shop Now
    I'm a little confused about protein intake. My husband and son started SS about 3 weeks ago, they lift 3 times a week. Son is 15 weighs 150 lbs. and is 5' 11", so on the thin side. I just read Mark's post and he suggested eating 1.8grams per kilo. It sounds like DS should be getting at least 100 grams of protein a day.

Why do you guys think, does that sound about right? DS eats way less than that, I've been telling him he needs to eat more protein, but he says he's not that hungry. I suspect coming from a middle aged mom (not-buff) it's easy for him to dismiss my advice. I sent him Mark's post and a chart of the protein content of various foods.

I also think Hubby would benefit from increasing his protein too as he wants to lose some weight. They are doing a lot of research on properly lifting but they haven't focused on diet, other than eating primal. Will they see a significant improvement if they increase their protein?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Protein is a funny thing. I was reading Mark's post today too. I am about 160lbs, and really eating more than 120g of protein a day gets to be a bit of a chore. Thats like 1.5 lbs of meat. The only way I'm gonna eat more than that is through artificial supplementation. So in the end I think if your energy intake is high (fat or/and carbs) then the amount of protein you need to consume comes down a bit. If you are being restrictive of energy in any manner then you really better have plenty of protein to retain lean mass.

Honestly I would not micromanage a 15 year old kid. Eat primal. Eat meat/protein with every meal. That would be the extent of it where it my child.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    If your son wants to grow muscles, he needs to eat like he's in a Buffet line. He should eat to the level of mass he wants. 100 grams of protein should be the minimum not the goal. What I mean is if he wants to be 200lbs, than he should eat like that is what he weighs. It will be hard to overeat protein if he doesn't have an eating disorder. Most people will get nauseous when they get to their upper limit. Carbs will help him also. GOMAD really does work. Not so much advice for your Husband, except abs are made in the kitchen. Its very easy to out eat your workout.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    ALL the protein. What's he squatting? I'm surprised he's not hungrier by now if he's DTP.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    At the age of 15 I was in pretty good shape, but skinny as hell, weighing 144 pound and 6.2 tall! So I started drinking 3 liters of semi-skimmed milk per day in addition to the rest of my food, and after one year I was up to 170 pound and still no fat on my body! Then I bulked up to 190 pound at 17 years old and gained some fat that I soon stripped off...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    ALL the protein.
    Dangit, that was gonna be my answer.

Yeah, he's gonna have trouble overeating protein at that age and starting weightlifting. Pack it in.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I limit meat to dinner for expense reasons but also get a lot of eggs (boiled, fried, or sneaked into other foods), bone stock, gelatin desserts, and higher-protein dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta, paneer). For a teenager I would definitely err on the high side.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

The thing is he doesn't "pack it in". I don't want to micromanage his diet, but he it seems to me he eats very lightly.
    Here's what he's eaten so far today:

8 oz cocoa made with raw goat milk & 2 pieces of bacon
    He was going lifting with his Dad so I told him he should eat something, I made him a shake with:
    8 oz goat milk
    1 egg
    1 T almond butter
    1 small banana
    4 strawberries
    He drank maybe half of it. He said he wasn't that hungry.

I thought the lifting would make him have an appetite, but I haven't seen it yet. He usually eats better at dinner but it's not a huge amount; he'll have maybe at most 4 oz of meat or fish, 1 small potato and some veggies.

The one type of protein he really likes is homemade jerky. Last time we made it we just put it in a big jar next to his computer so he would just snack on it. I think I'll just have to keep making jerky.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I thought the lifting would make him have an appetite, but I haven't seen it yet. He usually eats better at dinner but it's not a huge amount; he'll have maybe at most 4 oz of meat or fish, 1 small potato and some veggies.

The one type of protein he really likes is homemade jerky. Last time we made it we just put it in a big jar next to his computer so he would just snack on it. I think I'll just have to keep making jerky.
    So, how does DS feel about all this? Is he anxious to get huge? 15 is young for a man. He may not have the hormones to get maximum benefit from lifting at this age, especially if he tends towards thinness. My son is 21 and he is only just now settling into something more man-like than his kid body.

My recommendation is to make good foods easily available to him and give him positive feedback for choosing good food over junk. IMO, the two most important things about lifting at this point are quality time with his father and getting comfortable in a serious gym. Whatever lean mass he acquires in the next 5 years is gravy. If he (or his dad) complains about lack of improvement in the gym, then generic comments about some people being hard gainers, the benefits of sufficient protein, etc would be appropriate, but too much interest his actual progress will probably not get you what you want. Teenagers are like cats, you can only outsmart them if they have no idea what you're up to.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Thanks Laura, it's nice to hear from another mom. DS isn't anxious to get huge, but he seems to lack stamina, when I read Mark's post I thought it might be that he wasn't getting enough protein. He has other health issues so it could be from that.

He is spending quality time with his dad and together they are working on perfecting their form. Hubby mainly wants DS to learn good/safe lifting form and habits. Both are okay with their progress.

DS doesn't eat much junk food; almost everything he eats is homemade and primal. I gave him a list of foods and their protein content so he can make informed choices. I think he may be one of the hard gainers, which is fine. His appetite is just so different from what you typically hear about teen boys and very different from how my brothers were growing up, they could power down enormous quantities of food. In the long run I know he is developing healthy eating habits (he never over eats) and is learning to lift properly. I probably should't worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast