Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The benefits of running? page

Buster11 is offline Senior Member

The benefits of running?

Primal Fuel
    Hi I was wondering if running gets rid of stored glycogen reserves and clears your system? What other benefits does running have

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    You are always burning a mix of sugar and fat, harder you run, the more sugar you burn and the less fat, and vice versa.

Endurance running probably doesn't have many upsides on the health front, but building/maintaining some sort of aerobic base is a good thing most likely. That said, I would favour fast 5k runs over long slow distance stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    You are always burning a mix of sugar and fat, harder you run, the more sugar you burn and the less fat, and vice versa.

Endurance running probably doesn't have many upsides on the health front, but building/maintaining some sort of aerobic base is a good thing most likely. That said, I would favour fast 5k runs over long slow distance stuff.
    Thanks went for a run on the reason ill today. Started off with a slow jog at 10 for 10 minutes and then for the remaining twenty minutes I was doing 15 for one minute and 9 the next followed by 15 again (you get the picture) is that good?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster11 View Post
    Thanks went for a run on the reason ill today. Started off with a slow jog at 10 for 10 minutes and then for the remaining twenty minutes I was doing 15 for one minute and 9 the next followed by 15 again (you get the picture) is that good?
    Yes. HIIT will get you the fat burning benefits, (if that's what you are after), more so than long runs at steady pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Yes. HIIT will get you the fat burning benefits, (if that's what you are after), more so than long runs at steady pace.
    Cheers for the info, great to hear as I killed it on the treadmill today. Thanks

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hi I was wondering if running gets rid of stored glycogen reserves and clears your system? What other benefits does running have
    Right intensity helps up regulates GLUT4 pathway. A way for your muscles to take in glucose without having to crank up insulin so you get double benefit... reduced blood glucose circulation and lower insulin need. But this is in no way relevant just to running. Weight lifting, wrestling, climbing.... ect. all would do the trick.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Right intensity helps up regulates GLUT4 pathway. A way for your muscles to take in glucose without having to crank up insulin so you get double benefit... reduced blood glucose circulation and lower insulin need. But this is in no way relevant just to running. Weight lifting, wrestling, climbing.... ect. all would do the trick.
    great thanks, just had goji berries and blueberries with full fat natural yoghurt so basically it will have less effect on my body?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    great thanks, just had goji berries and blueberries with full fat natural yoghurt so basically it will have less effect on my body?
    Which type of effect? I mean I wouldn't worry bout it either way ..... sounds like you had a good workout, enjoy.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It makes me feel super great when done at will. I do prefer swimming but I find no shortage of parks 'round here and a complete absence of a warm ocean. coastal folks are lucky! Erm, running is still better than sitting on ye butt.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    So endurance running is fine to build a large aerpbic base, im well versed with the work of Phil Maffetone etc, did a lot of heart rate work myself on the past.

There has beem quite a bit of research suggesting that a shitload of cardio over time has detrimemtal effects on the heart wall, so I think that chronic cardio for the sake of it is not advantageous unless it os your sport or you love it. Running 50-60 miles a week left me skinny fat and knackered all the time

I think that running is fine, but shorter distances are preferable for me. Other than the sport element, how often do u need to run 10 miles? For base building, I think that mixing walking, jogging, sprinting, crawling etc into a workout more mimics our ancestral behaviour than jogging for 2 hours at 150 bpm.

Horses for courses

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast