Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaved heads and shampoos page

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member

Shaved heads and shampoos

Shop Now
    I just read through the entire thread about not shampooing, but didn't really see any responses from guys with shaved heads. My head is shaved (1/8" approx) and I love it. I started shampooing every other day a month or two ago, but haven't really noticed a difference.

I'm curious if any guys with short or no hair have tried not shampooing completely?

I'm starting today and will track my results. I've always had small amounts of dandruff from an unhealthy scalp, and get the occasional pimple or blemish on my scalp, but get a fair amount around the bottom of my hairline around my neck. Hopefully this works! *crosses fingers*

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I havent used soap or shampoo in months and I recently shaved my head to 1/8". Ill let it grow out for a few months before shaving again. I shower in COLD water and havent had any issues. I did get sunburned pretty badly over the weekend and found that virgin coconut oil is just as good on the skin as it is in food, including the scalp. If your scalp is feeling dry, try massaging some coconut oil into your hair.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    A few weeks ago I started shampooing only every third day or so. My hair is about 1/16 to 1/8". I buzz it pretty regularly.

I was still getting some dandruff even after taking the hair right down, but I haven't seen a spec in the last few weeks. I'll keep tabs on it for a couple of months or so though before I rule out coincidence. It's nice not having to wash hair every day though.

I tried the cold shower thing too the other day. It's funny because I can jump into a cold lake fine, but I really, really had to force myself to stand under that cold water in the shower. Like I had to get mad, make faces, and swear at the water. Felt good towards the end though.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    A few weeks ago I started shampooing only every third day or so. My hair is about 1/16 to 1/8". I buzz it pretty regularly.

I was still getting some dandruff even after taking the hair right down, but I haven't seen a spec in the last few weeks. I'll keep tabs on it for a couple of months or so though before I rule out coincidence. It's nice not having to wash hair every day though.

I tried the cold shower thing too the other day. It's funny because I can jump into a cold lake fine, but I really, really had to force myself to stand under that cold water in the shower. Like I had to get mad, make faces, and swear at the water. Felt good towards the end though.
    Haha, I've been easing myself into cold showers. Started sometime last week when it spiked to around 85 in Michigan, and I don't have air conditioning yet

Do you just do straight cold water, or spike it with a little turn from the 'Hot' knob?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    ill start with a tiny bit of hot mixed in to start, but not even to the point of the water being warm and will get to all cold as quickly as possible. I find it helps to really engage your core and control breathing. No more soap/hot water also cleared up all kinds of skin issues, blackheads etc.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    I've always had small amounts of dandruff from an unhealthy scalp, and get the occasional pimple or blemish on my scalp, but get a fair amount around the bottom of my hairline around my neck.
    You have a confounding variable: sunglight and resulting vitamin d. This alone at this time of year, depending on latitude, will boost your body's innate immune response thereby reducing the fungal infection that causes sebhorrheic dermatitis and the acneic breakouts.

During the winter, optimizing 25(OH)D levels through supplementation will take care of both.

BHA/salicylic acid appied sparingly but regularly will also treat both, but not as effectively as D most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    I was still getting some dandruff even after taking the hair right down, but I haven't seen a spec in the last few weeks. I'll keep tabs on it for a couple of months or so though before I rule out coincidence.
    See above.....the increased vitamin D production in spring and summer is more likely the helpful factor.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Not a guy, but I kept my head shaved for nearly 10 years. I never used shampoo when I shaved my head, and never had trouble with dandruff.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I don't always shave my head...but off and on I do (it's shaved right now... to the skin) and I don't shampoo it or anything when it is shaved... I do use a shave oil when shaving (shave secret if you are familiar) and that leaves my dome feeling awesome... it also prevents the greasy bald head thing that some people get... my head skin feels like the rest of my skin just very very smooth

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    I shave my head. About 2 months ago I stopped using soap or shampoo; I just make sure to scrub really well. You'll experience a few weeks of over-oily scalp and/or skin when you quit, but since that my dandruff has gone away as has the occassional body pimple. An added benefit is that my wife (who doesn't know I stopped using soap or shampoo) thinks I smell a lot more "manly" than usual.

Lean Body is offline Member
    I use shampoo regularly even after I shave my head, I don't shave my head too often but when I do that I will keep on shampooing regularly, I don't know what's wrong with my head, but I easily get a dandruff whenever I don't use shampoo even when I was bald.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast