Thread: When you eat carbs... page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

When you eat carbs...

Shop Now
    and you are glycogen depleted, what does your body do with them? 1. Burn them for energy, 2. Store them as glycogen? What is its first priority?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I believe if you are glycogen depleted, they will be burned as glucose and probably used in the brain first , since our brains prefer glucose....?

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I think they would go to glycogen replacement.....?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Ah, a question I can not answer but would like the answer too. Mark? Anyone?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    someone light up the bat symbol so Mark can come answer this.

My guess was just a guess. But Im fairly certain if you are glycogen depleted, the carbs will not be stored as fat cells, as that only happens when our glycogen stores are already full. I still think a primal person consuming some carbs with low glycogen levels will probably result in the carbs being burned as glucose immediately for things like internal repair especially in the brain, or stored inside the muscle tissue, replenishing the glycogen, but not contribute to excess fat.

Panthek is offline Junior Member
    I think it would depend upon 1. How insulin sensitive you are, and 2. How recently you worked out (which is somewhat related to the first point). If you are insulin-sensitive and have recently worked out, I think the carbs will go towards glycogen replenishment, definitely not be stored as fat (assuming you are glycogen-depeleted)...not sure how much would actually be used for real-time energy (as opposed to using fat stores). Maybe that depends upon what intensity you were/weren't working out beforehand???

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Ive always wondered this. help!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    The first priority will be storage. In fact if you are truly depleted you could continue to burn fat while eating a ton of carbs. In the order of 400 to 500 grams. The UD2 diet and any type of cyclical diet (carb up, re-feed days) is based on this principle. If your muscles are depleted of glycogen you are insulin sensitive period.