Thread: Dangers of grain fed/industrial foods page

DennyB is online now Senior Member

Dangers of grain fed/industrial foods

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I try to do paleo/primal the best i can (for the past year+) , but cut corners for budget concerns. My meats and eggs are usually the Sams or supermarket variety, my fruits and vegetables aren't seasonal or organic. What kinds of dangers am i looking at witheating standard supermarket paleo foods as opposed to eating grass fed/organic foods?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I can't find where Mark has written about this right now, but he's covered this in his blog. Eating the right foods, if subpar quality, is still preferable to eating a standard American diet with lots of grains and the wrong fats, not to mention the additives. Barring extreme food sensitivities, you should do quite well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    For people who don't live in a region where a variety of foods are grown locally year-round, there is no option to consume only local foods in season. And that's most people. If you can get local fruit and vegetables in season and you can afford it (mostly they're a lot more expensive here), then go for it. But if not, don't feel guilty about buying your produce.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't buy organic anything. I eat 90% primal but organic produce and meats are too expensive. Overall, I don't think it's hurting me much, considering my diet is excellent otherwise.

I believe the quote is "don't let the perfect be an enemy of the good."
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I can't find where Mark has written about this right now, but he's covered this in his blog. Eating the right foods, if subpar quality, is still preferable to eating a standard American diet with lots of grains and the wrong fats, not to mention the additives. Barring extreme food sensitivities, you should do quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    For people who don't live in a region where a variety of foods are grown locally year-round, there is no option to consume only local foods in season. And that's most people. If you can get local fruit and vegetables in season and you can afford it (mostly they're a lot more expensive here), then go for it. But if not, don't feel guilty about buying your produce.
    +1 for both of those.

For me it came in stages. I was dragged kicking and screaming to paying more for non-CAFO foods. Example: Non-dairy creamer $2.99, Half 'n' Half $3.99, Pastured half 'n' half $4.99. For me it wasn't so much affordability as my thrifty (cheap) nature. So, starting with stuff at the top of the food chain, I started buying the better quality. I still don't buy organic veggies 100%, and CAFO eggs somehow make their way into my refrigerator, though any grass fed meats look down their snobby noses at those poor eggs. My version of local is anywhere on the planet, because if I can get grass fed NZ beef less expensively than I can get the same meat locally, I'm going to buy it.

IOW, do the best you can. If you eat regular grocery store meat, you might want to trim some of the fat and replace it with fats from coconut oil, olive oil, etc. Also, if you can possibly swing it, try to at least get organic chicken liver if you eat it. Even at $5/pound, if you eat a half pound a week, it only comes to $2.50 for the meal plus whatever sides you have with it. Oh, and maybe peel any root veggies you eat if not organic.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I get grass fed beef but I do NOT buy organic produce. That would bankrupt me. I rarely eat chicken and pork anymore because the cruelty-free, organic type is too expensive. Fish are my go to food, especially canned sardines.

I would quote something I read somewhere... Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Do what you can. Avoid grains and crappy oils and you're doing better than most people.