Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plateau/Not losing weight page

Emelie is offline Junior Member

Plateau/Not losing weight

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys! I really need your help and I'm sorry if you're tired of this question.

I need to apologize for my English, it isn't my first language!

Okay I guess this is going to be quite a long text! I am 22 years old and I have been primal for a little over 1,5 years, and on a low carb diet for 3 years with 4 months not sticking to the plan before I went fully primal.

I was a child of poor health, born underweight and I was not breastfed more than for 4 months since my mum couldnt produce enough milk. I live in sweden and here every kid is recommended to drink a drink made of wheat, corn starch, vegetable oils and skim milk (sigh, still recommended) so of course I had to drink that until I was about three, every night and every morning, plus a few meals of pureed corn and whatever my busy mum could cook for me. I was sick, underweight with eczema and I had to remove my tonsils when I was 5. After that I could eat when I was sick too, before I couldnt because they were so swollen I could barely breathe. After that surgery I put on so much weight, and I was soon borderline obese. My appetite was huge and I didnt know why. My hormones went crazy and it seemed like I entered puberty when I was eight. Of course my friends at school picked on me and my only friend was also very chubby, so we together started to diet, when we were 9 years old. I was very active, I was a swimmer and played football, did martial arts and jogging, but my energy was constantly low. I did all those sports because I and people (nurses, doctors, parents) told me I needed to because of my weight. Because I ate so little, very low fat and moved so much I didnt gain more weight, and two years later I was just overweight. But my problems with food had started and I developed a eating disorder before seventh grade (12 years old). I ate to little and binged on weekends or when my body needed the energy. I never looked anorectic, never once my weight dropped under 63 kilograms to my 164 cm. I was in the normal range but still a lot larger than friends. My parents (they are great, I really need to point that out) was also overweight and tried all kins of diets at home. When I was 16 I moved to another city and lived by myself and decided to start to eat "healthy" for real. I followed the nutritional recommendations in sweden and restricted my calories even more. When I met my boyfriend he told me I really needed to eat more than one breakfast bowl of milk and cereals and a salad per day. Still my weight was around 65 kilograms and if I ate more I would put on lots of weight. At one point I ate around 800 calories per day. My BF helped me a lot without really knowing how huge my problem was, and I slowly started to eat more every time I was with him, when I was alone I didnt eat enough though. I did this and only put on 3 kg which felt pretty alright. I felt okay in my body, I wanted to lose more but I really couldnt but I never took any drastic measures like throwing up my food and so on, I wanted to be healthy and happy and I knew that was not the right path. I was a pretty smart kid and I soon realized I had a problem. When I was 18 I found the GI method and soon after the low carb high fat diet. I dropped to 61 kg and felt great, and I started to eat more and was eating approximately 1800 calories a day. Then I fell of the wagon during vacation, and in three months I had gained over 8 kg (!!!!) I started to think something was seriously wrong so I went to the doctors for a thyroid test. NOTHING was wrong. After the fouth month eating normal I went fully primal, ditched all grains (on the LCHF diet I still ate grains but very little as I was only watching my carbs) and ate less dairy, no vegetable oils. By this time my mind was almost healed from the bullshit eating nothing crap I had been struggling with for the past 10 years. I didnt count calories except for once and it was around 2000 on a normal day. For the first month on the primal diet I gained 5 kg (!) and it took me three months without cheating and eating perfect (no paleo treats, no paleofied SAD meals either) to start losing weight. I lost 4 kilos in three months, and there I am today. Yes. It has been 14 months since I lost anything. I have lost 2 kilos more though, when I was doing a whole30, but even though I was so close to 100% perfect low carb paleo and even more after those 30 days (except some cheese perhaps twice a week and butter instead of coconut oil/ghee) and I felt no other difference than the weightloss on whole30 so I'm not motivated to do all the extra work just for 2 kilos.

I still have pounds to lose, according to my BMI I'm in the overweight range and I was not before I went paleo/primal. I feel so much better though and I know this is right. I've been Primal for a little over 1,5 years as I said before, and been eating pretty well (LCHF) for 3 (2,5) years. I haven't been starving myself for almost 3,5 years. I abused my body for many many years, but I have seen people doing worse and still recovered within a year.

I am perfectly primal, I have tried being perfectly paleo (not eating dairy) for a couple of months when I was not doing a whole 30. I have only eaten a few paleo treats ever, I do not normally eat fruit. I have tried IF, I have tried eating more carbs for a while with no change (no gain, no weightloss) in the past months to experiment.

I do PBF inspired workouts 2x 30 min a week, I don't do any kinds of cardio but sprint every once in a while and walk for at least an hour to work each weekday. I have gained some musclemass but my body composition is still the same.

I'm just tired of this constant struggle. I don't want to think about my weight anymore but just living the primal life without worrying. If I do stop caring about my weight for a couple of weeks and eating a little more/ maybe snacking on nuts I can gain up to 3 kg. I'm just so sad that I have dropped all eating disorders but I still have this body image and constanty worrying about my weight. When Jason Seibs "the Paleo Coach" came out I bought it and I read it two months ago and started to work on my body image, I threw out the scale and started listening to my body. I havent eating much more than normal and havent changed the diet. But still, three more kilos when I weighed myself for the first time today. It defintitely put myself int the overweight category and it puts me in a total weightloss of 3 kg since I first started.

Please please give me your thoughts on this. I'm sorry for the length of my post but I guess the background story is very important here. I havent seen anybody in the primal/paleo community with this problem. When I hear, "I'm not losing weight" they have been primal for maybe a month.
    Last edited by Emelie; 08-14-2013 at 10:59 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Have yo uhad your hormones tested? Progesterone, estrogen, estradiol, testosterone, and pregnenolone. I suspect that you may still have some hormonal issues given your background.

How are your energy levels now? Anything other than the lack of weight loss bothering you?

How much do you eat & what do you eat?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I do PBF inspired workouts 2x 30 min a week
    So is this heavy weights or body fat kind of workouts or sprinting or both? Just out of curiosity as well, how tall are you?

It sucks that you have had so much trouble, but it sounds like you are in a better place now. Plateau's suck, I know.

I'm not familiar with the 'paleo coach' - is what you're doing anything like intuitively eating? Paying attention to when you are hungry, when you are not etc.. Are you finding that you are hungry or full or somewhere in between on your current diet?

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I am a male 188cm and 82kg, I eat around 2100cals per day for fat loss.

With your background I would focus on good food choices and habits first, and enjoy the improvements in health and vitality. Focus on fitness goals and forget the weight loss for a while.

At some time though, you may have to evaluate your intake
    Last edited by thriveful; 08-13-2013 at 07:50 AM.

No, I haven't tested anything but my thyroid! I guess I have hormonal issues too, but I was hoping I could fix that with proper nutrition:P Maybe I need to call the doctor.

My energy levels are better, I stay awake all day and have no problems with sleep, but they are not perfect, I wish I had more energy. No blood sugar crashes though and I dont fall asleep on the couch after dinner. I forgot to mention that I got adrenal fatigue during my last year in school about the same time as I started eating low carb for the first time. I got very depressed but it lasted for about 8 months, I cant handle stress well today but I'm happy. I feel perfectly healthy today except for the energy.

In calories I don't know, I eat til I'm full, I eat about as much as my boyfriend who is also primal but naturally very thin. Last time I counted I ate about 2100 calories. I have a large appetite today I guess but I still eat pretty normal amounts.

I eat vegetables and meat. Mostly wild game, fish or grassfed beef. Cauliflower and cabbage all the time, I occasionally make bone broth, eat at least a big jar of Kimchi or saurkraut a month. Lots of avocado. Salads.

Today I ate two eggs fried in organic butter, half an avocado and 7 homemade meatballs and a cup of coffee. For lunch I ate this The Urban Poser:: Masala Cauli-Fried Rice (Grain Free, Vegan, Paleo, Primal) -leftovers with roasted chicken, about a normal sized soup bowl. I haven't decided whats for dinner, we are going out to grill with friends so I think it will be something easy, maybe two grilled paleo friendly sausages with kimchi-slaw and a salad of lettuce, tomators and red bell pepper. Water to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    So is this heavy weights or body fat kind of workouts or sprinting or both? Just out of curiosity as well, how tall are you?

It sucks that you have had so much trouble, but it sounds like you are in a better place now. Plateau's suck, I know.

I'm not familiar with the 'paleo coach' - is what you're doing anything like intuitively eating? Paying attention to when you are hungry, when you are not etc.. Are you finding that you are hungry or full or somewhere in between on your current diet?
    2x30 min sessions of weight lifting, and sprinting sessions when I remember 2-3 times a month maybe. I am 164,5 cm, about 5 ft 5"!

I eat 3 meals a day and sometimes some snacking between meals, mostly walnuts, but not everyday unless I'm sleep walking

I actually feel pretty hungry often. When I'm full I feel satisfied, not unpleasantly full, but as I dont want to eat much more than the males around me I often restrict my self and therefore feel hungry. I really don't like feeling hungry, It reminds me of olden days! I'm also afraid if I will restrict my calories again, lose all the weight I want and then I'll have to be hungry 'til the day I die because otherwise I will gain everything back.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    For us Americans, you're 5 feet 4 inches tall, and your weight fluctuates between 134 pounds and 143 pounds.

For your height, 2100 calories is too many calories, even if the calories are fat and protein. I know that we're supposed to say "eat until you feel full." The reason for this is that our hormones will be fat adapted, and our stomachs will feel full enough to say "stop eating" right at the proper amount of calories. However, this doesn't work for everybody. Since your metabolism has been so erratic over the years, and your hormones are bit off, maybe your stomach doesn't feel full when it should?

What would be a good calorie amount for this poster for about 10 pounds of weight loss? I would say 1600 or so.

EDIT: From what I've seen on this forum, nuts are actually NOT good, especially for women. Anytime I see a new thread about plateus and weight problems, it seems that the poster is ALWAYS eating nuts. May help to cut the nuts.
    Last edited by oxide; 08-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    toss the bmi chart out the window. it's a chart made by actuaries, not humans.

it doesn't factor real people's frames or even if you have boobs. i'm small, only 5'2", but with big bewbies, and when anorexic with size zero jeans falling off me, the bmi chart said i was "normal".

even the fittest pro athletes would be considered overweight/obese using this chart because of their muscular builds.

stop snacking on nuts.

focus on whole healthy foods and activities you enjoy and just forget the scale for awhile.

you admit your body image is skewed. fretting about bmi and 2 kg isn't going to help or fix that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It sounds from your history like you may be celiac and still suffering from absorption problems, if you are eating that much food and maintaining your weight. You could continue to eat as you are, or you might want to look up the SCD diet.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others about snacking on nuts. It is so ridiculously easy to overeat them, a serving size is so snall you hardly realize you're eating 1000 calories' worth.

What's a day's worth of food look like for you?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast