Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plateau/Not losing weight page 3

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    Mot really sure why you are looking to calorie/carb cycling at this stage, these are kind of 'advanced' techniques for when you are really trying to hit ideal body comp IMHO.
    +1 to this. Carb cycling and refeeding are prmarily for people who want to get a really good six-pack (stomach muscles), or for people who do heavy workouts.

IF (intermittent fasting), i.e. skipping meals is also optional. By the way, the meal that you skip does not have to be breakfast. You could eat a big breakfast and skip dinner.

For the moment it's better to dump the nuts and get your calories down to ~1700 and see where that takes you.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Emelie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    we can't tell you what will happen in the future. we're just peeps on the internet, not fortune-tellers.

pick a plan and stick to it for at least 2 weeks. see what happens. personally, i did well tracking my intake on fatsecret and now like cronometer since it tracks micros too. programs like those give you hard data so you can really see what you're doing and what might need changing.

agree about the protein. it's the most sating. don't skimp and use calorie/nutrient dense sources like red meat, offal, fatty fish, shellfish and eggs. with foods like those you don't need to "add" fat to your diet -- it's already on the plate.

as for this:

finding that happy place will take some work and will probably not be what it was. you will need to make adjustments and they will need to be for life. eating a few nuts is not the same as eating 1000 cals worth everyday. an ounce of almonds is only about 20, ya know? but after awhile, you stop thinking about them as a staple and it no longer feels like deprivation. 1600 cals may be all you need, or you may find your body tolerates more. or less. it's all n~1.

have you had your d levels checked? i discovered mine were quite low. after i got them back up with d3 supps, and began taking k2 as well, foods that i craved, like nuts and cheese, no longer were problem foods for me. we can't always tell what the body is asking for, so it's important to get yourself balanced and create an environment in which to listen better.

Thank you!

I feel like I have been trying different macro-ratios a lot, both higher carb (around 100 grams a day), moderate around 50 and keto with close to zero carbs. I have tried eating more than 100-120 but then my energy goes way down during afternoon with my blood sugar and I don't want that No change on the scale though.

I have the same program as the swedish dieticians use for food tracking on my computer and I've used that for calorie counting and macro tracking when I have bothered so I will use that more often the upcoming weeks.

Yes I've checked my vitamin D levels, I live in the most northern parts of sweden and if the 45 degree rule is right we just get our Vit D during two hours a day in june-july. I was seriously low all winters before I started taking vit D supplements about the same time I got primal. My levels are all right now. I don't really crave nuts, I just get so hungry between meals sometimes and never have anything better to snack on. Maybe I'll try making my own jerky. It doesn't seem to help much eating more each meal either, dunno why I'm so hungry! I can deal with eating 1600 calories if I'm not hungry!

First time low carb, I lost pretty much weight (I was 20 pounds lighter than today). When I fell off the wagon and ate pretty bad and more than I had prior to low carb for a few months, I gained a lot. It sometimes feel like that ketogenic experiment destroyed my metabolism once and for all, why else did it work the first time but not the second?

This diet is perfect for pretty much everything besides this. I no longer have allergies, eczema, acne, no longer bloated or constipated, I haven't been sick more than once since I started (ironically during my whole30, but probably because of a new job and lots of new people) and I used to be real sick at least three times a year. I used to have herpes breakouts very often and I have only had it twice and that was at the same time I got sick and once after a gluten binge. My hair is growing thicker and in a more vibrant, blonder tone than before! Damnit body, why are you still overweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondl88 View Post
    If you think due to one or two reasons you can eliminate these factors, then I will advise
    you to try weight loss supplements such as the fat burners and appetite suppressants. They
    will help you a lot in you quest to lose weight.

I hope you follow these tips and I wish you good luck. You can read more
    on how to lose weight http://goo.gl/IerPQr
    No thanks I'm going to do this without pills in a healthy way.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i have been vlc for 4 years. i do not believe it destroys your metabolism, but do think gaining/losing/gaining DOES. it's not something that is infinitely elastic, and the body does not like change -- it prefers stasis and will fight to keep it.

if you're hungry between meals, you need bigger meals and possibly more protein. snacking gets lots of people in trouble. i eat twice a day, around 11 and then 5-6, and most often my biggest meal is the first one.

eta: keep some hard-boiled eggs in the fridge and snack on those til your appetite is more regulated. if you don't want an egg you may not be actually "hungry."
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
    No thanks I'm going to do this without pills in a healthy way.
    Emelie, Diamond 88 is probably a spammer or spambot, a poster who comes to the forum just to advertise some junk product. You can always pick them out because they want to buy something and they give a web address for a badly-designed website. And they usually post less than 5 times before moving on. Note that this was the spammers third post.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    +1 to this. Carb cycling and refeeding are prmarily for people who want to get a really good six-pack (stomach muscles), or for people who do heavy workouts.

IF (intermittent fasting), i.e. skipping meals is also optional. By the way, the meal that you skip does not have to be breakfast. You could eat a big breakfast and skip dinner.

For the moment it's better to dump the nuts and get your calories down to ~1700 and see where that takes you.
    Do you think it could be harmful to try a carb refeed and see what happens? If I do it it will be totally primal, sweet potatoes and plantains was my plan. Although I like the idea of lots of sushi I don't really want to eat lots of rice.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Thank you!

I feel like I have been trying different macro-ratios a lot, both higher carb (around 100 grams a day), moderate around 50 and keto with close to zero carbs. I have tried eating more than 100-120 but then my energy goes way down during afternoon with my blood sugar and I don't want that No change on the scale though.

I have the same program as the swedish dieticians use for food tracking on my computer and I've used that for calorie counting and macro tracking when I have bothered so I will use that more often the upcoming weeks.

Yes I've checked my vitamin D levels, I live in the most northern parts of sweden and if the 45 degree rule is right we just get our Vit D during two hours a day in june-july. I was seriously low all winters before I started taking vit D supplements about the same time I got primal. My levels are all right now. I don't really crave nuts, I just get so hungry between meals sometimes and never have anything better to snack on. Maybe I'll try making my own jerky. It doesn't seem to help much eating more each meal either, dunno why I'm so hungry! I can deal with eating 1600 calories if I'm not hungry!

First time low carb, I lost pretty much weight (I was 20 pounds lighter than today). When I fell off the wagon and ate pretty bad and more than I had prior to low carb for a few months, I gained a lot. It sometimes feel like that ketogenic experiment destroyed my metabolism once and for all, why else did it work the first time but not the second?

This diet is perfect for pretty much everything besides this. I no longer have allergies, eczema, acne, no longer bloated or constipated, I haven't been sick more than once since I started (ironically during my whole30, but probably because of a new job and lots of new people) and I used to be real sick at least three times a year. I used to have herpes breakouts very often and I have only had it twice and that was at the same time I got sick and once after a gluten binge. My hair is growing thicker and in a more vibrant, blonder tone than before! Damnit body, why are you still overweight?
    Re the blood sugar crash, just dont eat carbs until the evening. If you workout a lot eat more carbs on those evenings. Or just set a carb number, say 100 g a day, set protein at 1g /lb bw, rest is fat to take you to daily calories.

The carb ratios are likely somewhat irrelevant unless you are metabolically really broken. Just set calories and macros and stick to it for a while. No panic changes. Monitor weight and body comp and tinker as required.

Even use a simple TDEE calculator to start, the numbrrs are arbitrary, just make a start and watch your body.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    This diet is perfect for pretty much everything besides this. Damnit body, why are you still overweight?
    Haha my sentiments exactly. I eat within the primal food list for health, but I have to tweak it for weight loss. Still working on the tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    Re the blood sugar crash, just dont eat carbs until the evening. If you workout a lot eat more carbs on those evenings. Or just set a carb number, say 100 g a day, set protein at 1g /lb bw, rest is fat to take you to daily calories.

The carb ratios are likely somewhat irrelevant unless you are metabolically really broken. Just set calories and macros and stick to it for a while. No panic changes. Monitor weight and body comp and tinker as required.
    p
    Great plan. I will upper my intake of carbs to about 80 grams at first. But, either my professional calculator is completely wrong or I forgot how to eat carbs. I must have eaten less than 20 grams of carbs the last few months. Do I really need about 400 grams of already baked sweet potato to reach 80 grams of carbs? I dont think I ate that much when I tried eating around 100 grams carbs a day so I might have failed then. Unless my computer program is wrong. All other vegetables I eat besides squash and pumpkin are all very low carb. I think I actually eat around 100 grams or less of sweet potato when I think I have a high carb day. Plus all the vegetables and maybe a banana. Hmm.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Yep, it's a lot of sweet potato or rice to hit 100g of carbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123