Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Vibrams? page

ziok is offline Member

Which Vibrams?

Shop Now
    Hello all!

So at my local Sun and Ski shop Vibrams are on sale roughly half off.... I have been looking into getting some already (as well as preparing myself by doing a lot more barefoot!)

However, I am still torn on which pair to get. I have read reviews, as well as arguments for and against Vibrams in general. I wanted some additional opinions.

My uses:

Sprinting (most important) This would be done on grass, dirt, pavement, as well rocky/wet paths.
    General daily use

I was thinking KSO treks or Komodos. The Bikila look to be more for distance but I am sure they would work for my needs also. Any thoughts?

Alexis47 is offline Member
    I bought the Seeya LS for pavement sprints, and general use. Not sure how they'd hold up on other terrain. The KSO treks or Spyridons may be a better option for that.

One tip: try to get something without laces you have to tie. It's a pain to have to stop while sprinting to tie your shoes. That might just be because I, according to my friends, suck at tying shoes, but whatever.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on how much ground feel and protection you want. I think the Komodos are a good all-around VFF.

Of course, it depends on how each model fits you. For me, the Komodos are a little more snug than the Bikila, Trek and Spyridon. YMMV

If you're doing much in rocky areas, you might want a little more protection like the Spyridon.

ziok is offline Member
    I hate stopping to tie shoes.... lol

ziok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    It all depends on how much ground feel and protection you want. I think the Komodos are a good all-around VFF.

Of course, it depends on how each model fits you. For me, the Komodos are a little more snug than the Bikila, Trek and Spyridon. YMMV

If you're doing much in rocky areas, you might want a little more protection like the Spyridon.
    It seems the Komodos in theory are the best for me. I want to have a lot of freedom with terrain but the Spyridon are the most expensive...however, I will still try them on.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    I have the Treksport and it's a great all-around model. You can easily sprint in them on most terrains, and they're perfect for hiking. Comes with one velcro strip to secure over your foot.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I love my Seeyas but they are very light and very thin, not good for running terrain IMO.

I also ADORE my KSO Treks (the leather ones). One of my best pair of VFFs IMO. Great for off road. Very durable, thicker more rugged bottoms, but still good and comfy for all surfaces.
    One of the things I dislike most about VFF is that they have discontinued the sale of that really excellent kangaroo leather line here in the US. I feel like I need to go to Europe for shoes!

My Bikalas are my least favorite pair... I'm a woman and bought the men's shoe(which is built wider according to the company) because I couldn't get my foot into the ladies, and the men's is still too snug to be 100% comfortable. I pretty much only use them for when I'm out with the guys in the 4x4 trucks and I know my feet are going into the sludge at some point.
    If you have a narrower foot you may have a better experience.

I know that the Spryridon was named one of the top 10 minimalist shoes of the year... but I don't have a pair of those to speak for.

I do also have a pair of men's Speed LS in the super spiffy green/gold color... of course, laces. But I wear those as kick abouts for the color anyway.

All of my other pairs are casual wear VFFs. Smartwools, Performas, Performa Janes, Mocs, and such.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ziok is offline Member
    You can't get the kangaroo leather anymore?! I wanted to try those! Oh well! It seems the KSO Treks or the Komodos may be the best for me from what I read here. I will look also at the Spryidon too, if no other reason but to try it on. However, it may be out of my price range.

Thank you all for your advice!

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I have the Spiridons, be aware that I find that on pavement the lack of laces means that they are not as secure and may be more blister-prone. I feel the tread also wears quickly on pavement. Would recommend 100% for hiking/bouldering that sort of application though (to be fair it is a trail-running model).

ziok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    I have the Spiridons, be aware that I find that on pavement the lack of laces means that they are not as secure and may be more blister-prone. I feel the tread also wears quickly on pavement. Would recommend 100% for hiking/bouldering that sort of application though (to be fair it is a trail-running model).
    I had wondered about blistering in VFF in general. It seems sweaty toes confined in material would cause all kinds of issues but have not seen much about it other than the scenario you mention above and others very similar to it...

I would be doing a mixed terrain (due to where I live). I tend to sprint with my 6 year old. (its a game to him) and occasionally we run on the road in front of our house....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast