Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To those that have lost alot..... page

adam204 is offline Member

To those that have lost alot.....

Primal Fuel
    Of weight over months or years, did you suffer a plateau after the first month or two? Then the weight started to shift again?
    I'm 2 months in and for the last 5 or 6 weeks am stuck at the same weight. Im running at a slow pace 3 times a week( max of 75% max heart rate to burn fat not glycogen) , lift heavy 2 to 3 times a week and eat 90% primal/paleo. I do eat dairy and drink coffee but not to excess, maybe I should do a whole 30 without these two things . Im in an active job, on my feet all day. Ive got another 7lbs to loose before im happy.
    Just looking for some similar stories I guess to keep me motivated.
    All the best,
    Adam.
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think of "a lot" in WAY different terms, but now that I'm here... My experience is more with people losing a lot like 100+ pounds a lot and amongst my friends and myself a stall after 2-3 months seems very very common.

It is my personal opinion, based simply on observation and not on any hard science, that one cannot lose for months and months steady, or at least a lot of bodies can't. Im a big believer in periodic refeeds and gaining a little.

But that whole thing with losing smaller amounts, and the kind of regains I am talking about are the whole amount you have to lose... I have no experience with this.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Tinker75 is offline Junior Member
    Yes, the plateau is common. I am still on my path, but I did experience those flat spots and probably will again before I reach my ideal weight. The first one was at the 200lb mark, down from 215. Ten again at 195 it flatened out for weeks. Last one was te 190 mark that seemed to stick around foreve, no I am at 188 and dropping. I am 5'7" so the lost weigt has made a huge difference in my appearance and mobility. I do not eat dairy, but nobody is taking my coffee away! Keep doing what you are doing and don't give up. I am willing to bet that the plateau is as much psycological as it is physical.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I dont know if you would think what I lost is "alot" but for my size I thought it was (40ish lbs, 5ft tall). I struggled with the last 5ish pounds for a long time and I still do after vacation. Usually after weeks of being really strict they just come of all at once. Dont really know why. What I do know is that they're "vanity" pounds. I think my body would prefer not to let those go, in case I starve or get sick or something, but I force it to anyway. If you are only 7lbs away, something similar may be happening to you. Or it could just be a good-ole weight loss stall, which is very common and you just have to stick out anyway.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

adam204 is offline Member
    Thankyou for your replies. I managed last year to get down to 12 stone (168lbs), but I wasnt strict paleo back then. About 70/30 with some bingy weekends! But I was running alot whilst training for a half marathon. My running now is slower, although I'm nearing half marathon distance on my longer runs. Sorry if my first post seemed biased. "Alot" means different things to different people. Thanks again.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I've lost 75 pounds so far from my all-time high. Lots of plateauing, occasional lack of motivation to keep doing whatever I was doing at the time, then motivation to get back and find something (often something else) that works and stick with it.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    Of weight over months or years, did you suffer a plateau after the first month or two? Then the weight started to shift again?
    I'm 2 months in and for the last 5 or 6 weeks am stuck at the same weight. Im running at a slow pace 3 times a week( max of 75% max heart rate to burn fat not glycogen) , lift heavy 2 to 3 times a week and eat 90% primal/paleo. I do eat dairy and drink coffee but not to excess, maybe I should do a whole 30 without these two things . Im in an active job, on my feet all day. Ive got another 7lbs to loose before im happy.
    Just looking for some similar stories I guess to keep me motivated.
    All the best,
    Adam.
    7 pounds could be water....

At your "level" weight loss is more about dialing in the specifics. perhaps you need more sodium, or less. perhaps you have that ONE food which triggers an inflammatory response.

if you had said 30 my answer would be different,

@7 we are talking micromanaging
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    7 pounds could be water....

At your "level" weight loss is more about dialing in the specifics. perhaps you need more sodium, or less. perhaps you have that ONE food which triggers an inflammatory response.

if you had said 30 my answer would be different,

@7 we are talking micromanaging
    This.

I have shifted 65 lbs. The first 30 dropped off easily just by going low carb. Then I hit a big stall for 5 months and had to start restricting calorie and then the last 35 moved.

Your idea of doing a whole30 is a good one. It helps to identify and eliminate the factor that is the problem for you.

caseyam is offline Junior Member
    Also if you're working out that much more than you used to you could be adding muscle while still losing fat. So even though your "weight" hasn't changed your body still can be changing.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This.

I have shifted 65 lbs. The first 30 dropped off easily just by going low carb. Then I hit a big stall for 5 months and had to start restricting calorie and then the last 35 moved.

Your idea of doing a whole30 is a good one. It helps to identify and eliminate the factor that is the problem for you.
    The bolded part is about where I'm at. I've lost 37 lbs since November, but it's kind of stalled recently. Cut way back on dairy and started working out more, and I suddenly dropped 2 lbs in a week. Now I've stalled again, but granted I haven't been really bearing down these last couple weeks like I was.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast