Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do about fruit? page 3

fresa is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    But if your goal is strictly fat loss, and not performance based, ditch the crossfit...do strength training 2x/week, walk a lot, and eat low carb (I would recommend 1-2 pieces fruit and 1-2 sweet potato/day) with sufficient protein (1g/lb of lean mass).... thats my advice and its congruent with the PB if that happens to be what your following.

Disclaimer: The above is what worked for me and is congruent with the PB. I understand that counting calories, eating fruit and lots of carbs, or chopping off an extremity may also result in weight loss. So yes there are other ways, this is just the way that I prefer as you eat in a manner consistent with ancestral/traditional nutrition.
    I'm with Neckhammer on this. Of course, the other advice in this thread might work for some, but I would spend weeks in frustrated tears wondering what was wrong with me and why I wasn't losing weight if I ate fruit with gay abandon, as some here have suggested. Grok didn't have unlimited access to fruit year round, so that is how I play it too. For me, that is what works. To each their own though; if anything proves that, it's this forum!

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    nobody is saying that fruit isn't primal, but eating mountains of it isn't recommended as a fat-loss technique in the pb either.
    You're 6'4'' so you've got a lot more wiggle room than most, but if I were cutting any fruit, I'd drop one of the banana's. Two seems like a lot.

Also, it's summer. Eat melons instead

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think the deal with primal is that it is a lifestyle and the eating supports an activity level that lacks the day to day intensity of CrossFit. He pretty much doesn't support CrossFit.

Since I started CrossFit, I'd say I am closer to paleo than primal. I still eat the clean foods, but eat less fat and more carbs. I think above all, you can't have it both ways. You can't eat a ribeye, potatoe, butter, sour cream, banana and chocolate. You can eat a ribeye, butter and chocolate OR you can eat sirloin, potato and a banana. For me, the leaner meats, less fat and higher carbs make my workouts better. And I focus on protein above all.

I try and eat per the WOD. On a lifting day, lots of protein, more fats, less carbs. Yesterday was Filthy Fifty so I ate a lot of carbs and starches, protein and much less fat. My dinner was a protein shake with a lot of fruit as I literally could not fathom eating something high in fat.

I'm now down two dress sizes and up 5 lbs since starting Crossfit about 3-4 months ago, so I'd say I am putting on lean mass and burning fat. The trade off is that I do believe I carry around more water weight, which is OK with me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

nobody is saying that fruit isn't primal, but eating mountains of it isn't recommended as a fat-loss technique in the pb either
    And pretty much Mark Sisson doesn't advocate CrossFit. His "primal" weight loss fitness suggestion is a lot different intensity than CrossFit. I think you need to follow the primal system for it to work. So it is probably not the best nutrition to follow for constant high intensity working out. Just like eating more carbs isn't going to really cut it for the lower intensity PB workout.

Another thing, while I am making points. A really hard intense holy shit sprint workout kills my appetite. And if I go into a workout like that feeling for lack of a better word, satiated, it just shuts me down. I like being a little hungry. A lot of primal is based around eating in a way that you don't feel hungry.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Another thing, while I am making points. A really hard intense holy shit sprint workout kills my appetite. And if I go into a workout like that feeling for lack of a better word, satiated, it just shuts me down. I like being a little hungry. A lot of primal is based around eating in a way that you don't feel hungry.
    i find any intense workout to shut down my appetite for awhile too, even if i go in in a fasted state.

i disagree though about "eating so you don't feel hungry." if you're not eating lots of junk/grains/sugars you're not falsely tripping the switch that screams "EAT RIGHT NOW ZOMG IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!" and many on here seem to find no hassle in going 12+ hours without eating. i find even if actual hunger rears its head, it's pretty easily tamped down. like you, i like feeling hungry sometimes. keeps me better in-tune with what and when i eat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

speednutsII is offline Member
    Eating fruit is not the same as drinking a coke. The reason high fructose corn syrup is such as problem is that if you took a 32 ounce coke and tried to cut enough sugar can to equal the sugar content, you'd need a sugar cane 8 feet long. It's physically impossible to eat that much sugar. However, you process sugar from corn, concentrate it and then dilute it with a small bit of soda water and bam...you magically have concentrated sugar.

Imagine now this sugar content in all your foods.

Fruit has a very smart amount of sugar in it and it releases very slowly in the gut. There is no worry about fruit. In addition, fruit has a lot of important anti-oxidants and nutrients. I'd say eat away...at least until we kill off the honey bee anyway.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Make fruit time an excuse to try new fruits, as well.

M.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    It makes a bit of difference as carbs have a higher thermal effect than fats.
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Significant?
    I find fat has a thermal effect that carbs do not. Eating a very high fat diet in the winter means I'm never cold. Carbs? Not at all. Fat greatly increases my energy level for many hours with no crash. It makes me do stuff to burn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by soslono View Post
    Been at this a few months but I have a couple questions regarding fruit. Going by the numbers fruit quickly puts you over the limit for carbs/sugars. Fruit consumption for a typical day for me consists of 2 pears, 2 bananas, and a bunch of berries. I'm at a good weight (6'4" 200lbs) but would like to lose some body fat and replace it with muscle (crossfitter averaging 3x a week). So with regards to the fruit question:

1) Is that too much, and if so, any good alternatives?
    2) I'm eating whole fruit (nothing canned), raw, and organic....should i even care about the numbers?
    Both these questions can be answered for you by n=1 experimentation. Try it and see how it works for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123