Thread: Trail Mix recipe??? page

spearchick is offline Member

Trail Mix recipe???

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am looking for a good way to make a spicy trail mix with different nuts and seeds. I really like a "Tex-Mex" style trail mix, but everything you can buy at the store has the sesame pieces and other various fillers that I don't want.

Looking for ideas to 'spice' up my nut mix!

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    I'd choose whatever nuts/seeds first, coat them with olive oil (just drizzle over the nuts while on a baking sheet), then sprinkle with cayanne pepper/paprika/red chili flakes to your spicy-ness threshold, then add a little bit of salt (maybe a touch of garlic powder as well). Bake at a lower temperature, say 300-325, for a while until the nuts are dry. Stir them around every so often, maybe every 20 minutes. I think it might take 45 minutes to an hour at 300, you'll just have to see what works.

Sounds yummy though, I don't usually do a spicy trail mix!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's carries Spiced Thai Chili and Lime Cashews that are wonderful. You could use that as a base and add whatever else you want.

spearchick is offline Member
    thanks! If the nuts are already roasted, can I roast them even more or will it ruin them?

I've never done this myself before

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's generally recommended that you buy raw (or what we call raw...nuts are pasteurized now too) nuts so that you can roast them yourself, thus controlling the amount of roasting they get and the subsequent amount of oxidation (less is better). Plus, I find that it's not so easy to get roasted nuts that aren't coated in soy/canola/safflower oil, so I go for raw.

I've never re-roasted nuts, so I'm not sure if they would get to dry or not. Good luck! Let us know if you create something delicious
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan