Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes, sugar etc. page

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member

Tomatoes, sugar etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've read the Primal Blueprint, but I think I need to get a clearer picture about sugar, especially in tomatoes and tomato products. Apparently, tomatoes are high in sugar, natural sugar. I'm interested in making my own sugar free ketchup. It would invariably start with tomato sauce or paste. Yesterday, using tomato paste, the can said "tomatoes", nothing else yet there was sugar and carbs in the nutrition list. Is this natural sugar and OK to use more of as it's found in natural foods? I've lost the weight and reached my goal and I seem to be holding steady at 115 lbs, plus or minus a pound. I'd like to expand my eating a bit, while staying primal. Is sugar, sugar, wherever I find it, natural food or processed or does natural sugar in unprocessed food behave differently in my body? I need to mention that sugar and sweetness are a "trigger point" for me and I really try to avoid sweet stuff or 1 Oreo and I'm headed down the road to disaster. I'm planning to re-read the Primal Blueprint again and possibly discover if I missed any information. This question also applies to natural carbs. Last week I got brave and baked a yam, worried I might gain weight because of the carbs I took 3 days to eat it. If there is something in the archives, would you point me toward it?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Tomatoes are fruit. They have natural sugar. So do carrots. So do onions. You can make the ketchup from regular tomatoes, but chances are it will not be sweet enough since most tomatoes in the grocery store are not ripened properly and 'sugariness' does not develop. If sugar is a huge concern, do not eat more than 1 cup combined of fruit and tubers a day.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Since you are not trying to lose weight there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying naturally occurring sugars and carbs in the form of whole foods.

I understand about trigger issues but I really think that there is a world of difference between oreos and some tomato paste. Oreos are refined sugar combined with refined starch. That hits your bloodstream all at once and can definitely cause problems.

Some people are extremely sensitive in this regard and an indulgence in fruit can send them straight into the oreo bag but I don't think that's you.

From your other threads I also know that you are eating plenty of good fats like coconut oil, so you are pretty balanced.

Tomatoes are one of the few plants I still like on my mostly meat diet. Delicious.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    A. do not fear sugars from natural food sources such as fruits and vegetables.

They are not full of the refined crap in an oreo.

B. If you feel that a food is going to cause you to go too far and cause you to slip into binge territory because of the sensation of sweetness then monitor that food or moderate it until you feel that you are in control of it instead of it controlling you. Overcome your fear of it... you dealt with eating that yam. You controlled your reaction to it. You ate it slowly. Success. Maybe you could eat a larger portion next time keeping in mind that you are still within your caloric needs for the day(if there is ever weight gain from eating carbs after carb restriction and you are within your caloric needs it is simply a bit of water retention and will pass), keeping in mind that you are in control of your interaction with that yam, and have another successful experience.
    This seems to be more about your thinking and eating recovery... forming a good positive strong relationship with food where you are in control.

Best wishes.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Tomatoes are fruit. They have natural sugar. So do carrots. So do onions. You can make the ketchup from regular tomatoes, but chances are it will not be sweet enough since most tomatoes in the grocery store are not ripened properly and 'sugariness' does not develop. If sugar is a huge concern, do not eat more than 1 cup combined of fruit and tubers a day.
    I planned to punch up the sweetness with some Splenda, just enough to sweeten the ketchup a little more. I won't be starting from whole tomatoes, I just want to mix something together from sauce or paste. ("no sugar added" type) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Since you are not trying to lose weight there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying naturally occurring sugars and carbs in the form of whole foods.

I understand about trigger issues but I really think that there is a world of difference between oreos and some tomato paste. Oreos are refined sugar combined with refined starch. That hits your bloodstream all at once and can definitely cause problems.

Some people are extremely sensitive in this regard and an indulgence in fruit can send them straight into the oreo bag but I don't think that's you.

From your other threads I also know that you are eating plenty of good fats like coconut oil, so you are pretty balanced.

Tomatoes are one of the few plants I still like on my mostly meat diet. Delicious.
    There are quite a few natural sugar and carb foods I'd like to try. Peas is one along with carrots. I've also noticed that onions are on the high end with carbs. I've lost 130 lbs. and a great dread is that I'll step on the scale (once a week only) and see a weight gain. I've dropped over 100 lbs 3 times and 3 different ways in my adult life. Primal, by far has been the easiest but now, I think I'd like to find something else to do although I plan to eat Primal the rest of my life.
    Forgot to add, your picture is lovely!
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 08-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    A. do not fear sugars from natural food sources such as fruits and vegetables.

They are not full of the refined crap in an oreo.

B. If you feel that a food is going to cause you to go too far and cause you to slip into binge territory because of the sensation of sweetness then monitor that food or moderate it until you feel that you are in control of it instead of it controlling you. Overcome your fear of it... you dealt with eating that yam. You controlled your reaction to it. You ate it slowly. Success. Maybe you could eat a larger portion next time keeping in mind that you are still within your caloric needs for the day(if there is ever weight gain from eating carbs after carb restriction and you are within your caloric needs it is simply a bit of water retention and will pass), keeping in mind that you are in control of your interaction with that yam, and have another successful experience.
    This seems to be more about your thinking and eating recovery... forming a good positive strong relationship with food where you are in control.

Best wishes.
    Thanks, that encourages me. I plan to add a little bit slowly here and there. I believe you are all saying that natural sugars and carbs react in the body differently from processed sugar and carbs. So there is no need to regard them the same as a processed sugar cookie. Is this right? If so, great! I'll just start slowly.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    There are quite a few natural sugar and carb foods I'd like to try. Peas is one along with carrots. I've also noticed that onions are on the high end with carbs. I've lost 130 lbs. and a great dread is that I'll step on the scale (once a week only) and see a weight gain. I've dropped over 100 lbs 3 times and 3 different ways in my adult life. Primal, by far has been the easiest but now, I think I'd like to find something else to do although I plan to eat Primal the rest of my life.
    Forgot to add, your picture is lovely!
    My goodness. That is a lot of size changing. I can see why you might be apprehensive but you are home now. This is not a diet you go on or off, it is a new way of living.

Congratulations on your success.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My goodness. That is a lot of size changing. I can see why you might be apprehensive but you are home now. This is not a diet you go on or off, it is a new way of living.

Congratulations on your success.
    Thank you. I know I can do Primal for the rest of my life. Just small steps while I creep up on a broader eating plan. Naturally, you know that being the obsessive type, I'll be on and off the scale a lot. Once I'm confident the weight is stable I'll get over it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I planned to punch up the sweetness with some Splenda, just enough to sweeten the ketchup a little more. I won't be starting from whole tomatoes, I just want to mix something together from sauce or paste. ("no sugar added" type) Thanks.
    Do you think you ketchup could go without sweetening the ketchup. It is likely the sweetness itself is a trigger for you, not whether it is sugar or some other sweetener. Americans have particularly sweet food. Sauces in other parts of the world are flavourful, but rarely sweet. Having succeeded so well in shedding the weight, I can understand your desire to reincorporate some of the old foods, but this is perhaps one bridge you need not cross.

I ditched sweeteners about thirty years ago and found that I adjusted and after a while didn't miss them. Interestingly, when I ditched wheat about four years ago, I found that vegetables like carrot and onion seemed sweeter than they had. So now I enjoy the natural sweetness of foods. When it comes to cooking, I just leave the sweeteners out of sauces, maybe adding a little bit more salt to lift the flavour
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast