Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomatoes, sugar etc. page 2

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Do you think you ketchup could go without sweetening the ketchup. It is likely the sweetness itself is a trigger for you, not whether it is sugar or some other sweetener. Americans have particularly sweet food. Sauces in other parts of the world are flavourful, but rarely sweet. Having succeeded so well in shedding the weight, I can understand your desire to reincorporate some of the old foods, but this is perhaps one bridge you need not cross.

I ditched sweeteners about thirty years ago and found that I adjusted and after a while didn't miss them. Interestingly, when I ditched wheat about four years ago, I found that vegetables like carrot and onion seemed sweeter than they had. So now I enjoy the natural sweetness of foods. When it comes to cooking, I just leave the sweeteners out of sauces, maybe adding a little bit more salt to lift the flavour
    I'd probably do best tapering down the sweetness until I didn't notice it was missing.

Paleobird Guest
    I agree with peril about ditching the artificial sweeteners as well and getting your taste buds reoriented to reality. They really do shift. For me eating cherry tomatoes tastes like eating candy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    For me, naturally occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables are not triggering at all. A bite of chocolate, on the other hand.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    For me, naturally occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables are not triggering at all. A bite of chocolate, on the other hand.
    I'm not really concerned about natural sugar triggering a "sweet frenzy". The natural sugar I'm concerned with is in higher carb vegetables and fruits, that I didn't eat as I lost weight, giving me an insulin spike. Many of those sugars you don't even taste. I just want to increase my variety of food now and hold my weight where it is. Probably what I should have asked originally was, does my body treat natural sugar in food, such as peas, the same as it deals with processed sugar? I think I need to take small steps, trying one food addition at a time, and checking the scale, after eating it for a fair amount of time to see a reaction. Obviously, 2 Tbls. of coconut oil a day has caused no increase. When I weighed after a week, I had gone up a half pound but then, just as quickly, came down that same half a pound.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 08-13-2013 at 09:13 AM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you know weight fluctuations of even a couple pounds are totally normal, so well done on not freaking out.

no, the body will not react the same to a tomato as it will to a snickers, but instead of making "ketchup" with sweetener, why not just make a good salsa?

if you're very worried, be sure to consume higher-carb veggies/fruits with some fat and protein at the same time. that will slow the insulin response.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

rusty1257 is offline Junior Member
    This recipe for ketchup is pretty good. No need for sweetener.

Nailed it! Ryan Wilder’s Wicked Easy Paleo Ketchup | Not In Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by rusty1257 View Post
    This recipe for ketchup is pretty good. No need for sweetener.

Nailed it! Ryan Wilder’s Wicked Easy Paleo Ketchup | Not In Moderation
    Thanks, I plan to give it a try!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I planned to punch up the sweetness with some Splenda, just enough to sweeten the ketchup a little more. I won't be starting from whole tomatoes, I just want to mix something together from sauce or paste. ("no sugar added" type) Thanks.
    I do it all the time, though I prefer marinara to ketchup & normally make marinara. Basil for me makes things taste sweeter + I like the combo. I am not a fan of Splenda at all. Tomato dishes are the only ones where I like the taste of maple syrup. Ot I use balsamic vinegar for that v.special tang. Rhubarb is my other beloved condiment.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I do it all the time, though I prefer marinara to ketchup & normally make marinara. Basil for me makes things taste sweeter + I like the combo. I am not a fan of Splenda at all. Tomato dishes are the only ones where I like the taste of maple syrup. Ot I use balsamic vinegar for that v.special tang. Rhubarb is my other beloved condiment.
    I had forgotten about basil, it does lend a sweeter flavor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12