Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new fasting schedules, more grok-inspired? page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

new fasting schedules, more grok-inspired?

OK Im reading up on Martin and leangains since Ive seen it mentioned here several times now. I've recently tweaked my weekly fasting schedule, doing more of an alternate day thing, where on those days (M<W<F) I have about a 20 hour fast (8 sleeping, the rest day time) and break it with a 800-1000 calorie single meal at 5 or 6 pm. Then eat normally the next day (one AM meal (aroung 7:30 am) of about 800 cals, and one evening meal (around 7:30 pm) of about 700 cals, with the 12 hour no eating period in between.

Im not usually so calorie focused, I just figured I would phrase it that way for quick reference. I eat 2/3 calories in fat, average 115-120 grams of protein a day (i have LBM of around 100 lbs), 100 grams fat daily, and avg 30-50 carbs a day. Even though the meal is big on a fasting day, I dont really care, because my goal is not really fat loss, but rather cell repair and renewal that comes from the 20 hours of abstaining from food.

I am doing this because I felt that lunch was getting a bit redundant, as I sit at a desk in my office during the week, and am not being active during this time, and usually wasnt hungry for lunch, but ate anyway because I didnt want to waste food, but felt like I was eating too often. I have learned that my body was meant to go longer than 4 hours without food just fine! I used to do just one 24 hour fast a week,with a smaller fast-breaking meal, but I like this better

Anyway Im trying this new schedule out starting this week. To me, fasting makes eating so much better. Mindlessly and unnaturally shoveling food into our faces, when we are never truly hungry (6 small meals a day crowd) makes us less sensitive to how the food effects our energy levels, and more prone to overeating. I feel like grok probably had two big main meals during his day, and spent the rest of the day at leisure or working on shelter etc. It takes a lot of energy to procure a high fat high protein food source (aka hunting and killing an animal) therefore I assume he ate larger meals less frequently and had lots of time in between meals, and also expended a lot of his energy in a fasted state. and im rambling....

Does anyone else have similar ADF fasting schedules or experiences?
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-01-2010 at 07:34 AM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I have a theory that we do best when the fasting is random rather than routine. Nothing else to add

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

abdominator is offline Junior Member
    very well said cillakat.
    you sumed it up .

been 45 hours of undereating for me.
    just back from a sprint workout feels amazing.

can feel the real hunger now, gunna break it with 20 whole organic eggs

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't do the alternate day fasting schedule per se, but I do have alternating days due to the way my own schedule tends to work out a lot of the time. Some week nights I only eat once and on others I have a normal dinner and then a supper (usually just bacon and eggs). Moving my eggs and bacon to supper has completely removed my weekend attachment to breakfast as well. Now, I don't eat breakfast or lunch pretty much ever.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I've implemented the 16/8 fasting/fed protocol from leangains and I've noticed a huge difference in body composition after switching to this method about a month ago.
    I grok, therefore I am.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    HOLY CRAP 20 eggs! lol, that's like two cartons!!! yeah, it's more fun and natural for me to just make the fasts random, but like mark said, some people are more spontaneous than others. Some people like to plan things out. I think i fall in the middle, but just skipping meals when im not hungry is so much fun! I tend to to skip breakfast more in the weekends.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

abdominator is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    HOLY CRAP 20 eggs! lol, that's like two cartons!!! yeah, it's more fun and natural for me to just make the fasts random, but like mark said, some people are more spontaneous than others. Some people like to plan things out. I think i fall in the middle, but just skipping meals when im not hungry is so much fun! I tend to to skip breakfast more in the weekends.
    lol grappler did i mention they are gunna be cooked in ghee and coconut milk.
    i love it wen i say, to top that i have a 28inch waist .

p.s “The best of all medicines is resting and fasting”- Benjamin Franklin.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I have a theory that we do best when the fasting is random rather than routine. Nothing else to add

I see your point, but modern life, with jobs, college courses, social events......it makes sense to me to plan out my fasts. If I didnt plan them, my constant access to food in this modern life would probably mean that I would never fast at all.

And ,of course, I wont be sticking to this schedule for the rest of my years, either. Next month I can switch up the days, extend or decrease the no-food period, or whatever. Honestly, it will most likely change week- to week. (and that includes weeks with no fasting at all)

There is also a high probability that I will not eat exactly according to plan either, as things come up in day to day life, and will probably result in my making minor adjustments in my eating through out the week. I often plan out each of my meals, since I cook almost everymeal, and find myself making significant adjustments to these plans too! Things just never go exactly as planned

So, yes, I have "planned" my fasts, but does that make them rigid, un-spontaneous endeavors? No. For instance, I know when Im going to fast, but my body, however, does not! The signals of hunger I receive during the fasts is my body asking for food, wondering where it is, and dealing with out it.

"Plan your progress carefully; hour by hour, day by day, month by month. Organized activity and maintained enthusiasm are the wellsprings of your power."--Paul J. Meyer
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-01-2010 at 08:43 AM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
    I've implemented the 16/8 fasting/fed protocol from leangains and I've noticed a huge difference in body composition after switching to this method about a month ago.
    I tried what I thought was the correct approach to leangains by eating a light lunch, working out, eating a large meal soon post-workout and another pretty big meal not long before going to bed, but I definitely gained some flab doing that. I was probably just going way too high on calories; I "supplemented" with copious amounts of heavy cream, heh. Any tips Lovestoclimb? I see all the awesome results on Martin's blog, and I want to follow suit.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think that the idea of fasting unplanned sounds better too, but with work and events going on all the time I kind of have to have things planned. The old plan was to eat breakfast lunch and dinner anyway. I also wish that my workdays weren't planned either that I could come and go work whenever I wanted, but my employer wouldn't tolerate that much eccentricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast