Thread: coconut flour page

ezzirah is offline Junior Member

coconut flour

Shop Now
    I am thinking of investing in a big bag of coconut flour and playing around with it. I am very new to paleo, so I don't know how it taste in recipes. Does it give everything a coconut flavor? If so, is it strong coconut flavor or does the taste "sit in the background"?

Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The thing about coconut flour is that it isn't a substitute for any other sort of flour when you're looking to bake. You will have to use it in recipes that were developed for baking with it. I find most recipes that use mostly coconut flour use lots of eggs. I don't much care for that eggy taste and texture, and I try to avoid excess eggs anyway. So while I have it, it doesn't get used much in my household.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    You probably won't need a big bag of it either. It is a very thirsty flour and a little goes a long way. Check out some of the recipes at Tropical Traditions or Tiana and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. One or 2 pounds of coconut flour may last you quite a while. Some recipes only call for a couple tablespoons.

If I use it in cooked items, the taste is barely detected. If I use it in baked goods, you can taste it more but it's not an overpowering sweet or coconutty flavor to me. Although, if a person is not partial to coconut flavor, they will taste it and may not want to eat the item. Happens in my house all the time
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I don't find the coconut taste to be very strong in baked goods, but I like coconut and am fairly used to the flavor so I may be slightly desensitized. It is a very dense, absorbent flour, as noted above, so be prepared to commit a lot of eggs to the cause. Because it is so dense, you don't want to pack it in to your measuring cups, just scoop and sweep across the top to level. Make sure to sift also, as it tends to be clumpy.
    Another trick you can use is unsweetened applesauce, which will help create a more moist finished product. Also, let whatever you are baking cool fully before you taste-test, fresh-from-the-oven coconut flour baked goods tend to taste very "eggy".

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's pretty mild up to ~25% of a recipe. IME it backfires in numerous ways above that.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    while i like the flavor of coconut, i don't like tasting it in lots of things, all the time.

if you're new to paleo/primal, i'd suggest backing off making faux baked goods. they're still calorie bombs of dubious nutritional benefit and for now it might be best to focus on whole, real foods.

i sometimes use coconut flour as "breading" for baked fish and that's quite good.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

photocat is offline Member
    I detest the taste of coconut. That said, coconut flour and coconut oil are staples in my life --- so no, there is no coconut taste for either (though they smell quite coconutty when you open the container). Coconut flour soaks up liquid so you cannot just sub it in. Search out recipes specifically designed for coconut flour or you will have a disaster. I've never personally used it for baking but I use it as the breading to coat my chicken nuggets. Coconut oil is my main cooking oil and just about the only moisturizer (body and face) I use.

ezzirah is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies! I am still so new to this lifestyle that I just know if this is going to work for the long haul I will need to bake. I love it and it is just what I do. I am glad to hear that coconut flour is successful with the right recipe. I am giving myself a "clean 30 day start", however, that I agree with.

Thank you! I am sure I will have many, many more questions in the days ahead and I appreciate the advice!

Metta,
    Ezz

Trianixy07 is offline Junior Member
    I often cook with coconut flour and I don't see any difference in taste, some people say it adds slight coconut flavour but I don't feel any difference. And it is much more healthy that regular flour. Here is the recipe of coconut flour pancakes that I like to make.
    Last edited by Trianixy07; 08-16-2013 at 05:19 AM.