Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to go 100% Primal...STAT! page

damnposeurs is offline Junior Member

I need to go 100% Primal...STAT!

Shop Now
    As the title says, I need to go 100% primal STAT!

Here's why:
    I'm a size 20, 6'0", 300 lb, 23 year old recent college graduate, unemployed since graduation in June.

I've always sought some kind of diet or lifestyle change since about sophomore year of high school, and in my search I have cultivated a well-rounded knowledge of health and fitness. However, I do have to admit the Paleo style of eating is ultimately a new challenge. In cahoots with this challenge is the fact that I am not doing a thing until I find a job -- it's a lot easier to eat, eat, eat when you're at home most of the time.

What is motivating me is healthy mix of vanity, childhood bullying, health issues, wanting to set a good example for my family, and prevention. My father, aunt, and grandmother have suffered from cancer, the latter of which recently passed away last December. My sister is pre-diabetic and has hypothyroidism; my mother has hypertension; and my brother doesn't see the doctor so that's unknown territory -- we are all obese.

My last successful dietary change was with HCG. I lost 60 lbs but quickly regained that during an unhealthy relationship that just drained every ounce of motivation (read: energy to cook) right out of me.

A lot has happened since then and I just can't quite get the motivation to say no...the crazy part is this is less restrictive than HCG and I did that with flying colors (3 years ago...)! I'm about 50% Paleo at the moment and I can almost immediately feel the changes in my energy level....that is until I abolish that with some kind of carb.

Additional motivators:
    1. I was just called "husky" this very day. "Hot damn, husky, look at you...can I come upstairs for a little while?" No.
    2. I've been called "Miss Thickums." "There you go, Miss Thickums, thanks." Ugh.
    3. My favorite, this one came from a homeless man: "Well f*@% you, you fat f@#$ing big a$$ b$%#&!"

I simply do not want to be known as being "thick" or described as "that heavier set girl."

4. I honestly think my weight is keeping me from getting jobs.

I've been doing very low carb so far so: grilled meat, low carb veggies (eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, kale), fruit (berries, figs, cherries, some melon), coconut oil, avocado, ghee. I'm trying to shoot for 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs.

Any advice on getting past the initial hump? Brewed tea as a craving killer (I've always been a sweetener gal but I even gave that up last year)? Water as a gap filler? Also, how much do you adhere to the "no water with meals, 30 before, 30 after" guideline?

Pics:
    Last week
    http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/gp/toby90/283NhD

About three weeks ago
    http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0094009/gp/toby90/G842bW
    Last edited by damnposeurs; 08-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What you are trying to do is very, very, very, very hard. I would suggest finding a group of local support that you can get eyeball to eyeball with. That may be a meetup.com exercise group or Overeaters Anonymous (whether you think you have food addiction or not, you are facing 99% of the same issues).

Also, I think you need new motivations. Negative motivations don't work very well. What GOOD things do you get as you lose weight? Picture yourself confidently striding into that first day on the job. Mean Girl from third grade needs to be left behind y'know.

And lastly, don't blame your circumstances. The one thing I know for sure is that circumstances have NOTHING to do with it. You could be exercising three times a day because you don't have a job- which is what anyone with a job is going to say is their excuse. So remember, anything about circumstances isn't real, it is just cover for the choices you are making.

I am coming at this from the perspective of someone who has recovered from Obesity III twice and is on shrinking round the third.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Britt is offline Senior Member
    My advice is try to eat without becoming obsessive over numbers (calories, weight, pounds lost). Stress can be a total dampener on weight loss.

And start a journal to keep track of your food, exercise, feels... whatever you want. I've found the accountability and support to be invaluable.

Primal Blueprint Fitness (free ebook for signing up for newsletters) is a great intro for exercise too.

Nomnompaleo.com and Chowstalker.com are two of my favorite recipe sites, as well. Excuse the truncated post; using my phone.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Britt; 08-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

LinD is offline Member
    http://FastMetabolismDiet.com by Haylie Pomroy

Since I don't eat grains, I did get brave and used gluten-free 'grains'... quinoa, quinoa flakes, millet, buckwheat, and amaranth.

Three meals a day plus two snacks.
    :-)

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Don't overanalyze, just eat real food. But before you eat, stop and think WHY you are eating. At first plan to eat 3 meals/day and 2 snacks. Before eating the snacks, ask yourself if you're truly hungry. If not, perhaps you're bored, then go take a walk. If you still want the snack afterwards, eat it, and feel good that you also got in a walk. You do not have to be hungry to lose weight, you do have to learn to recognize true hunger though. Cut out wheat and you may find the cravings go away and your sweet tooth is satisfied by ripe fruit. Don't try to primalize/paleoize foods at first, just eat real food.

Tyse is offline Junior Member
    Good luck girl! You can do it

LoafingCactus: I usually am a positive person, this job hunt thing is really taking its toll on me. I was actually just discussing with my mother the other day, "what are you looking forward to most when you lose weight?" Her response was, "fitting into seats easily", mine was, "buying clothes without having to worry, and being healthy." I go through my good days and bad days like most.

Britt: I agree on not over analyzing numbers, so would that work well for now in terms of weight loss? I'm only truly worried about my carb intake to maximize my loss.

Thanks everyone!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    4. I honestly think my weight is keeping me from getting jobs.
    Maybe your negative self image is keeping you from getting jobs. If weight alone was a deciding factor of employ-ability, 2/3 of North Americans would be out of jobs.

I simply do not want to be known as being "thick" or described as "that heavier set girl."
    Then don't. Who says other people get to define you. And incidentally that 'husky' comment sounded like a compliment.

Any advice on getting past the initial hump?
    Suck it up and power through. THIS IS NOT A DIET. No need to deprive yourself. Eat primal foods that you enjoy and are highly satisfying.

Water as a gap filler?
    Drink water because you're thirsty, not to stave off hunger. If you're hungry, EAT a meal. Get used to experiencing true hunger, and learn not to associate the emptiness of hunger with the other negative emotions you're carrying around. Hunger is just your body's way of telling you to refuel.

Also, how much do you adhere to the "no water with meals, 30 before, 30 after" guideline?
    What is this now????
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

What is this now????
    There is a part in the PB book where Mark states,
    "Don't drink during meals, try to drink 30 minutes before as drinking during will dilute vital digestive enzymes. Also try to wait 30 min after as it will do the same."
    Something along those lines.

My thinking was if this is the case (people follow this rule and I'm not) then maybe my body isn't fully absorbing nutrients and thus doesn't feel as satiated? Just wondering.

It may not seem like it but I really don't have a negative self-image of myself. I felt my sexiest and most beautiful when I was 340 lbs, and wouldn't have dared to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts over a year ago. I just came to the conclusion 340 isn't healthy, I may accept my body as being overweight but I would prefer to be healthy in the long term.

I simply just understand others reactions, others thoughts, and perceptions. Mark actually writes about it in a blog titled "The Stigma of Obesity" and he captures it quite well.
    Last edited by damnposeurs; 08-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't eat any grains, legumes and potatoes it will be very hard to eat over 100 grams of carbs. And if you bake your meat in some healthy fat and don't grill it all the time you will be satiated faster.
    Don't overthink the rest, just eat real food and enjoy it. Sleep enough and walk as an excercise. You will become healthier and with that you will feel better get more confident, weight loss will be an added bonus.
    And think of total calories and ratios as totals for a week, don't stick to them on daily basis, just get them right for the week. So a day of eating loads will compensate for a day when you are less hungry and a day with more carbs will compensate for one (or more) with less.

The confidence will get you a job, i think that people who feel good about themself radiate confidence and it helps massively when applying for a job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast