Thread: what if my job consists of lifting heavy things? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

what if my job consists of lifting heavy things?

Shop Now
    i haven't actually gone to the park to do pull ups or push ups or anything in a while. at my job, i lift heavy oxygen tanks, boxes, breaking things with sledge hammers, dragging heavy items etc. my legs and forearms have mostly been sore from my job. also my shoulders a little bit. who else has a job like this and how often do you actually do strength training? i don't want to go too hard and not be able to perform at work. anyone else has workout ideas for my situation? thank you

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you're getting a workout at work, why would you need to go to a gym?

Gyms were invented to replace the physically demanding heavy work that's missing from our modern lives.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    It looks like she's not writing too much anymore, but she's a farmer and a weight-lifter. Farming is more seasonal, so she lifts more in the winter, since she's working all summer, but it might give you some ideas:Primal Fitness | NightLife
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

thanks, you two. i don't go to a gym, though. i go to the park when i work out. which is about a 5 minute walk. that article was interesting and gives me an idea of what i can do. some times i life oxygen tanks that way about 180 pounds several times and drag them around and what not. some days i'm powerwashing and painting floors. id work out on the days that were easy, i just don't know what to expect for the next day.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    The other option would be to tone down your workouts for the moment. That way you leave something in the tank just incase you're wrestling O2 tanks the next day. But still doing them means that you're more challenged than just what you do at work. (and you can use the workouts to work muscles that don't get worked at work to maintain balance)
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

that's a good point, drssgchic. maybe i'll only do 1-2 sets of each exercise instead of 3- 4+. thanks for the idea (:

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Hubby does a physical job, doesn't really work out because he doesn't need to. He's already good and sore from work!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/