Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Lift Every Day page

umm7 is offline Senior Member

Why Not Lift Every Day

Primal Fuel
    I have wondered why we read from knowledgable weight trainers to only train 3X a week when people like farmers etc lift heavy daily? Most of the people I have seen who live a life full of "training" are healthy and have beautiful bodies. I get all of the scientific reasoning of resting and growth but when I see people in real life it seems to not apply.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Cause we (well I and most that are recommending only 3 or less days a week) train at a higher intensity and different metabolic zone than those daily workers. For instance my family has a lot of iron workers in it.... lots of heavy lifting right? Well kind of. Its more like your working in the muscular endurance realm than strength or power. Your endurance fibers tend to recover more quickly than your fast twitch ones associated with higher 1RM and such.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    what he said.

If you lift heavy enough to prompt strength gains you need more rest than 1 day.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    It's all about the dosage. People lifting maximally at very close to the damage threshold are after the large adaptation response that happens when doing this. Ironically this large adaptation response also takes large amounts of time to produce, ie lots of rest.

The farmer however is lifting much further away from maximal and can therefore recover rather quickly, requiring only small amounts of rest ie smoko and lunch. Although this farmer also gains an adaptation response from his daily duties and will eventually have alot of effectual strength as any city slicker will attest to after trying to emulate his daily routine. This adaptation response is less than the gym rat's but is still significant if done over a long period.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

So who in fact is stronger and in better health? The city dweller who lifts 3X a week or the farmer?

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    That depends on your definition of "stronger." Is it stronger to lift and throw 70# haybales for several hours at a shot, or to do a 3x5 deadlift of, say, 300#?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

It seems that my endurance is nothing while I seem to be getting stronger by the week. So, what can I do to be more like the farmer in terms of stamina? Throwing hay around is hard, I'm sure I couldn't cut it. Dead lifting outside of the gym doesn't mimic a thing I do in real life.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    well train more like the work you do in real life?

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Currently I actually lift 6 days a week. But each body part just twice in that 6 day cycle. For example Chest and Back on Monday and Thursday. However next week I'm switching up to a 3 Day per week muscle endurance program for a couple of weeks (light weights very high reps). I like to shock the system every once in awhile, hit the muscles in a different way with a different form of intensity.

Here's what I'm planning:

2 Circuits (30 second rest between exercises - 2 minute rest between circuits)

50 Squats - 135 lbs.
    40 Bench Presses - 135 lbs.
    20 Pull-ups - Bodyweight
    20 Dips - Body weight
    20 Seated Pulley Row - 130 lbs.
    30 Calf Raises - 200 lbs.
    50 Sit-ups
    50 Hyper-extensions

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    So who in fact is stronger and in better health? The city dweller who lifts 3X a week or the farmer?
    Both the same really. Both use their work as their measure of strength. Gym is just there because we don't all live on farms anymore.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast