Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is too many carbs at once bad? page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Is too many carbs at once bad?

Primal Fuel
    I have a question abut carb consumption.

I keep my daily carbs around 75-85ish. I recently trimmed back my morning smoothie because it was very carby with too much carrot, banana and a little honey.

Now it is the basic essentials: blueberries, kale, spinach, home made kefir and a little coconut milk.
    I can't give up any of these (well maybe the coconut, if I had to) this is my daily antioxidant/kefir boost and I love it.

Trouble is that is weighs in at a whopping 39g of carbs, (19 g fat and 15 g protein.) all of these foods are low glycemic index but in at that large of a serving of carbs....am I still creating too much of a sugar spike?

I did try to give up that daily smoothie and only have it on workout days. but I started feeling a little off after a week and a half....sort of dragging.

I am maintaining my weight (could lose a couple more lbs, but over all satisfied), although this week since reintroducing the daily smoothie I am up a pound to a pound and a half although there were likely other factors....long week/weekend, monthly cycle, dinner out etc.

I am struggling to reconcile nutrition and good health with carbs and the vanity of losing a couple more lbs. Any thoughts?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I bet that extra pound is just water weight. dont sweat it. (lol, no pun intended, but it if you wanna lose it, you should.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    How many blueberries? More is not necessarily better, especially if it's spiking your insulin.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Are you saying the smoothie of blueberries, kale, spinach, kefir, and coconut milk is 39 grams of carbs? How much blueberries? I believe 1 cup of blueberries has only 23 grams of carbs so I am not sure where all the carbs are coming from... does kefir have a lot? Or maybe you are just eating A LOT of blueberries? 1/4 to 1/2 cup is ideal.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

3/4 c blueberries (1 serving) 17 carbs
    8oz raw whole kefir 8g fat, 12g carbs, 10g protein
    1 c kale 7g carb, 2g protein
    2 c spinach 1 carb, 1 protein
    1/4 c coconut milk 11g fat, 2g carbs, 1 protein

Thoughts?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I "feel" carbs whenever I eat anything with 10 grams or higher in one sitting. Maybe thats just sensitivety, or just my mind, who knows. I dont think its necessarily bad to eat the 39 grams at once, but if you've been eating primally for a while, I would venture to say you are experiencing a mild insulin response because of it. your smoothie is probably sweet tasting, and even if it doesnt have sugar, there is research out there saying that the sweetness of berries and such, despite their relative low sugar content compared to simple carbs and sugar, produce an insulin response in the body regardless. My advice, if youre concerned that youre becoming too dependent on this sweet smoothie fix in the morning, and it seems to me you might be if you felt like you were dragging when you didnt have it, you may want to do just one smoothie a week. You seem to be experiencing a mild carb flu when you dont have it, and we can count carbs all day, but I would say that is indicative of an insulin response, no?

Is there any other function the smoothie provides other than being portable? The smoothie is also low in fat and protein( <15 grams protein, I consider low-protein!). AM meals could easily be a high fat meat, like chicken thighs, and butter or coconut oil. This would provide the protein and fat you need, and it will be not from a powder, thus more natural. I had this same problem with smoothies in the morning, and now i have a separate "smoothie day" one time a week. And, the meat and fat will go further to nourish you (maintaining your lean muscle mass while tourching your fat stores) than the berries and kefir on a daily basis.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    I "feel" carbs whenever I eat anything with 10 grams or higher in one sitting. Maybe thats just sensitivety, or just my mind, who knows. I dont think its necessarily bad to eat the 39 grams at once, but if you've been eating primally for a while, I would venture to say you are experiencing a mild insulin response because of it. your smoothie is probably sweet tasting, and even if it doesnt have sugar, there is research out there saying that the sweetness of berries and such, despite their relative low sugar content compared to simple carbs and sugar, produce an insulin response in the body regardless. My advice, if youre concerned that youre becoming too dependent on this sweet smoothie fix in the morning, and it seems to me you might be if you felt like you were dragging when you didnt have it, you may want to do just one smoothie a week. You seem to be experiencing a mild carb flu when you dont have it, and we can count carbs all day, but I would say that is indicative of an insulin response, no?

Is there any other function the smoothie provides other than being portable? The smoothie is also low in fat and protein( <15 grams protein, I consider low-protein!). AM meals could easily be a high fat meat, like chicken thighs, and butter or coconut oil. This would provide the protein and fat you need, and it will be not from a powder, thus more natural. I had this same problem with smoothies in the morning, and now i have a separate "smoothie day" one time a week. And, the meat and fat will go further to nourish you (maintaining your lean muscle mass while tourching your fat stores) than the berries and kefir on a daily basis.
    Excellent response, thank you.

I agree on many levels, but I think part of the reason for the 'dragging' was not so much missing the sugar as missing the kefir, but I could be wrong of course.

I had switched to a piece of bacon and a couple of eggs with a tablespoon of heavy cream mixed in and a little cheddar, but I HATE eggs, (I mean I hate them as breakfast everyday) and that is when I was dragging...after two weeks I realized that it was not really working and I wasn't feeling as good as usual.

I have been on a very clean whole foods diet, very close to primal since Nov. but only recently trying to ratchet down the carbs a little.

I love my smoothie because it is easy, healthy and I am getting in those important greens (which I am not a fan of), antioxidants and the kefir.
    Sometimes I drop an egg yolk in it too, but that is only 3 more grams of protein.....how much protein should I have with breakfast?

I am open to other morning food ideas , if anyone has some to share.

Another egg hater!?!?! Oh no!! haha, just kidding. I love eggs, and they make up a large % of my diet, especially breakfasts, so I always forget that not everyone digs them.

+1 for getting those antioxidants from the fresh berries and greens, I believe they are a great thing to put in your body, and the probiotics associated with the kefir as well. You are definely eating primally, healthfully, and cleanly, and that is doing a lot better than 99% of the population out there I gurantee you

I would only suggest that, depending on your activity level, you up your protein at any meal to at least 30 grams. It is the added protein that is going to maintain your lean body mass, and allow your body to focus more on using dietary fat and fat stores to serve its energy needs, without stripping from your muscle tissue. more protein=more muscle. more muscle= more fat burned at rest to maintain said muscle. You want this.

maybe 2x a week, have a peice of animal protein with this meal. pop a piece of fish or chicken in the oven at 350-375 for about 15 minutes. Even eat it in conjunction with the smoothie, if you want! But adding that protein in there is going to make things a lot easier for you. While the smoothie itself is healthy, yes, it may not be enough, and the health benefits of the smoothie become outweighed when lean muscle is being used as fuel. Should you give up your smoothie? hell no! you like it, it makes you happy, its made from fresh whole foods, its primal for godsakes! But I would suggest adding a protein and fat component, as it will A) cause the carbs in the smoothie to burn even slower, lowering its insulin spike in your body (good thing) and B) protect against lean muscle loss once the measily 39 grams carbs are effectively burned.

mmmm smoothie. Im havin one tomorro
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-01-2010 at 09:48 AM.

and, just bacon, cream, and cheddar is ok too. who needs eggs?

Ok, thank you....that is great feedback! Keep my beloved smoothie and up my protein. I can do that.

By the way....I know I lack in the protein dept. I really need to work on that. I swim close to 2 miles 3x a week and am soon adding in more biking, a little running and light weight training. My LBW is close to 100, so I should probably be consuming 80g protein which I seem to average about 58

Gotta work on that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast