Thread: Protein Powder Overuse page

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member

Protein Powder Overuse

I was watching the early morning show on CBS this morning as my mother-in-law (85yrs old) heard a promo about the dangers of protein overuse. I supplement on occasion with Whey protein. I taped and watched the segment. It was a joke.

They highlighted perceived dangers of too much protein (not strictly powders) which to my understanding is OLD CONVENTIONAL WISDOM; basically that too much protein taxes the kidneys(healthy) and causes Osteoporosis. If you are going to make a generalization like this then how bout letting us know how much is too much. But I'm pretty sure this is no longer CW.

They also talked about a story in Consumer Reports that points out that SOME protein powder manufacturers have low levels of heavy metals in them. They also admitted that potatoes and green leaf vegetables have similar amounts, but do not feel they are consumed in amounts that are dangerous. I will take notice and this was the only value of this report. I will take a look at the Consumer Reports article, perhaps it will point out the manufacturers that it tested with these trace amounts.

They also talked about other whole food protein sources that I have no problem with by showing amounts of protein and average costs, yet I didn't see them compare the cost to actual protein powders, almost implying that protein powders are cost prohibitive as well.

I believe a person is better off getting proteins from whole foods first but thought that this was a sensationalistic and unbalanced reporting at best. (no shock there)

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I wish i could look at consumer report, but they require membership right? what do they say about EAS 100% protein powder. i get 5lbs for $27!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member
    Here's a link I found that is more specific than the TV segment.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ink_tests.html

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    haha there are alot of threads on protein right now XD
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"