Thread: doing everything wrong! page

fatlass is offline Junior Member

doing everything wrong!

Hi, I have decided to join the forum and get some advice.I seem to have been doing everything wrong, nutrition/exercise/no sleep.. no wonder my body is catabolic.
    I suffer from Crohn's Disease for past 9 years, along with chronic insomnia (extreme sleep deprivation). My nervous system became hyper/over active with all the stress and inflammation. Anyway,
    weight dropped to 6 stone, last operation 3 years ago, and now in remission. Have now put on 3 stone, but it is pure fat, I have NO skeletal muscle or muscle mass whatsoever. It's very disheartening. I eat protein every meal, if I don't sleep I exercise to the point of exhaustion (I realise this has done me no good, reading 'how to gain muscle'). The sleep deprivation raises my stress hormones, bad carb cravings (again, I need to cut out the grains.I did for a long time, but no sleep has made it so hard, I know it's bad, bad. I am probably insulin resistant, which is why I am posting and need to do something.
    Yes, I am way behind..but ofcourse got to start somewhere. I am female, 51 - do light weights and swim 4x week. I have been going without sleep for 4/5 nights every week for months now, it is so bad, all my hormones will be out of whack. Can someone advise, is it best to eat protein before exercise, post exercise, not exercise at all if I get no sleep? Take amino acids/ how can I get my skeletal muscle back. I am in the oesteopena section so really need some muscle to protect my bones. I am also hypothyroid, and my thyroid is low too, with no sleep,
    also my GH will be low, apart from the obvious of sleep, what else can/should I be doing?

AbbyCK is offline Member
    Welcome. I am sorry you are going thru so many health issues.
    My first recommendation would be a good holistic doctor, they can run bloodwork and determine if any nutrients are low in your system.
    Second are you still on any anti-inflamtory medication? I was on prednisone, which caused my insomnia. It was not until I got off that drug completely that my insomnia went away.
    Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better.
    Abby

peril is offline Senior Member
    Second recommendation is to run away from these forums. You will receive much conflicting and confusing advice. You don't need this. Read The Primal Blueprint. See health professionals. Read other blogs. DO NOT READ FORUMS
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatlass View Post
    My nervous system became hyper/over active with all the stress and inflammation.
    Sorry to hear that you have the problems you do. This is the key section that stood out to me.

These give a lot more detail than I could in a simple post. Hope it helps.

What is Inflammation? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Flame Thrower: Top 10 Natural Ways to Reduce Inflammation | Mark's Daily Apple
    My Top Six Anti-Inflammatory Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

The Definitive Guide to Stress, Cortisol, and the Adrenals: When ‘Fight or Flight’ Meets the Modern World | Mark's Daily Apple
    10 Forgotten Stress Relief Tips | Mark's Daily Apple
    15 Ways to Beat Stress | Mark's Daily Apple
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome lass, I would agree with the advice above.

My suggestion is to be patient with yourself as you learn to nourish your body. In some ways it's as simple as just eating real food, in other ways there's a lot more to it than that and it takes time to learn and adjust.

It's great that you are taking steps to address your personal health issues, and I wish you well.