Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is they're anything wrong with just working certain muscle groups? page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Is they're anything wrong with just working certain muscle groups?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, maybe the title is wrong.

im 16 so still growing.
    Ive been working out a little bit but I figure I just want to let my body grow naturally before any serious weight lifting.

I was thinking, would it be ok if I worked my legs and core only?

For example:
    3-5 sets body weight squats
    3-5 sets body weight lunges
    2-3 sets calf raises

Plank + side plank and some other core exercises.

Is there anything wrong with just doing this?
    My reasoning is, Strong core strong body + strong legs = a strong body aswell.

Is there a danger of strength imbalances or anything?

Diet: Eating more fat including sat fat + bucket loads more protein.

If I where to do those things even without exercising, would I get increased strength and size naturally?
    Last edited by LockieKermit; 06-01-2010 at 04:32 AM.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    I don't think bodyweight exercise will do harm at any age. Throw in some pull-ups and push-ups and you're golden!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    +1 for pull-ups and throw in some pushups as well. When performed correctly, they are very good core movements.
    I grok, therefore I am.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LockieKermit View Post
    Ive been working out a little bit but I figure I just want to let my body grow naturally before any serious weight lifting.
    I have a long post for you Hopefully I'll get to it later but if not, it can be summed up as

1)lift now - with good distribution (ie everywhere). The evidence supports it completely.
    2)get lots of dark meat. Guy or girl? get a multi with 15-30 mg zinc in it (15ish if you're a girl, 30ish if you're a guy)
    3)take 5,000 IU vitamin d3 on days you're indoors midday and don't get full body sun. if you're out in the sun midday, don't take the D.

best,
    K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

LockieKermit is offline Member
    I will think about it, but I think im doing them wrong.

My right side is far more developed then my left, Only I can notice it but I can feel it strength wise.
    Thats why I want to lay of the muscle building exercises for a while.

Other then that, is there any issue with just working the core and legs?

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Did you play throwing sports? Lots of people have a little imbalance from side to side.
    I think the best way to counter it is to try and do equal work on both sides, but it will most likely always be there.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd add in pullups, pushups and pike presses and hill sprints in there as well.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Just do the three powerlifts then: deadlift, bench, and squat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    I agree with arthurb and rphlslv - do complex multiple muscle workouts and you'll even yourself out naturally. If you do something that *includes* (not targets) a weak muscle it will naturally get stronger in order to keep up with the other muscle and improve your weight lifting goals.

Regarding working out individual muscles, the intro of Starting Strength puts it nicely:

The reason that isolated body-part training on machines doesn't work is the same reason that barbells work so well...
    The human body functions as a complete system... It doesn't like to be separated into its constituent components and then have those components exercised separately, since the strength obtained from training will not be utilized in this way. The general pattern of strength acquisition must be the same as that in which the strength will be used.
    Properly performed, a full range-of-motion barbell exercises are essentially the function expression of human skeletal and muscular anatomy under a load.

So basically... dead lift, bench, squat, these are the big three it seems. This all makes perfect sense to me in the context of Primal fitness - Grok certainly wouldn't have sat around doing sets of curls to perk up his biceps... but he surely would have to do press-like movements fairly often and that would have made his arms quite shapely all around.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your 16?! damn, i lost the youth record. lol
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast