Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is they're anything wrong with just working certain muscle groups? page 2

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    High five for getting going that young!

I advocate the "big 3" as well, but for me they are deadlift, squat, and OVERHEAD press, which is much more functional than bench. For extra points, throw pull ups, push ups or bench press, dips, and reverse rows into the mix and you'll be far better off than most other people isolating every muscle from every angle for hours and hours every week.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

LockieKermit is offline Member
    I dont have access to a gym, thats why im asking if its ok to just do Core (abs, lower back, obliques)
    and legs until im older and can get to a gym...

Ive had wonderful anwers but still not the actuall anwser to the question

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, got carried away in the convo there. I am sans gym now as well and am still getting full-body workouts. While it won't kill you to just work your core and legs, there's no reason you can't get your upper body as well. I suggest push ups and chair dips to start out with. Try to get pull ups into the mix if you can. You can often improvise if there's a sturdy bar around, otherwise those Iron Gym pull up bars you see everywhere are really good and don't cost too much. If you have the means, pick up a kettlebell and learn how to use that as well and you may never have a need to go to the gym.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    you can also improvise 'rows' by laying under a sturdy table, grabbing the top of it, and then pulling your chest up towards the top of said table.

there's always a way to improvise a movement.

and while again that doesn't answer your question, it might look a little odd when you have this ripped mid-section and then are 'loose' (for lack of a better term) everywhere else. It would definitely lead to imbalance. But you are correct in that if you have a strong core, you will be well prepared for the practical world and be less prone to injury while performing menial tasks like lifting boxes and such.
    I grok, therefore I am.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Ask your parents to buy you either the Naked Warrior (good) or Convict Conditioning (better). You should be good until you have access to weights. Your local library could have a copy.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    +1 for convict conditioning.
    I grok, therefore I am.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You don't need a gym to do pushups, pullups, pike presses or hill sprints (as i recommended). When they get too easy, add a weight vest or increase the leverage... (put your legs on a chair for pushups, handstand pushup, etc)

You shouldn't skip upper body training.

You would be fine doing a 3 days split of...

M - Split squat, pushup, chinups, pike presses

W - Hill sprints or 100 burpees (with the knee tuck)

F - Lunges, dips, bodyweight rows

Do other things active on your days off... play sports, train martial arts, walk around, chase women, etc.
    Last edited by arthurb999; 06-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.

LockieKermit is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys - I also have a large trampoline in the backyard, so ill do 15-30 minutes of that a day for full body conditioning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12