Thread: Minimal Training for a Ahlf Marathon page

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm reading the PD now, but I don't think it answers this question, nor does a quick search of the forum.

I weight train three times per week, play basketball a few times per week, and grapple at least once. I just ran my first half marathon in SF last weekend, but I felt I over trained for it.

What do you feel is the optimal but minimal amount of running one must do to train for a half marathon? I was thinking maybe a shorter tempo run during the week, and an increasingly longer run on the weekend.

BigBeck89 Guest

guess it depends...training to be able to run a half marathon and finish...or training to finish first.

I know that sounds dumb, but I feel m training would allow me to run and finish one(even though I have no intention to ever) but I wouldn't place any bets on me being in first

It's more about training to finish one comfortably. There's no WAY I'm coming in first no matter what I do. I just finished one last week, but I felt I trained too much for it, which ended up getting me sick two weeks out.

Jedi is offline Member

well so much depends on what else you are doing. I comfortably finish a marathon on a tempo, a long and a sprint session a week, with some weightlifting, tennis, cycling, hiking thrown in. I guess if you get lots of sprinting with your basketball then one tempo+one long run could be fine.

note: I have stopped all this now i am primal and pretty much only sprint now as far as running is concerened.

rgcoll Guest

I completed a half marathon in May, accomplishing my goal of finishing without any strain (or impressive times!) at age 62 - my running prep., which started in January, was a long run every 7 to 10 days (about 5 miles when I started) and every 3rd run I would up distance by a mile - I held steady when I reached 10 miles save for a 12 miler 2 weeks before race - in between runs I stayed with regular exercise routine of resistance training (2x week), tennis (singles 3x week) and yoga whenever I could.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking with my other activities, that one tempo and one long run a week should suffice.