Glad you jumped in!
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10
    Starting Weight: 215
    Current Weight (1/25/11): 180
    Goal Weight: 160

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    I'm in! Day one complete Stomach feels really heavy though. Don't think I needed to eat as much as I did even though it's less calorically then I've been trying to eat. I've had major bloating on and off for a couple of years and no one can figure out why. It's been bad the last few weeks too. God I hate this feeling but it was there before today so...I'll just eat less tomorrow and really listen to the tummy. Digging the fats though!
    Good for you! Days 1-5 were really weird for me. I kept thinking... what am I gonna eat?? Consequently I over ate just because I couldn't stop thinking about all of my new choices :P Also, when I was a carb/grain-aholic, I would eat like crazy after workouts. Now I really don't eat unless I'm hungry, and exercise doesn't leave me ravenous.

As for being afraid... don't be! Don't put too much pressure on yourself, either. Attempting to be perfect will only lead to failure, so keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change and it will take time to get yourself settled. I wake up every day and have a healthy, delicious breakfast. I haven't decided to be primal for a week, 30 days, or for life. I've just decided that today I'm going to eat and live according to the guidelines. If I slip up (krispy kreme catastrophe) I start anew the very next day. Something is better than nothing, and some of us need to work our way in instead of going all-out

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the first week seems to be weird for a lot of people - I had a few of the symptoms of "Carb withdrawal" but it wasn't too bad. Notice your sleep and digestion improve, and think on how that's a marker for health in general, then decide to give it a month or more trial.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I went through serious carb withdrawal symptoms the first week. It was identical to kicking smokes many years ago. I have no doubt that refined grains and carbs are highly addictive, probably all grains for that matter. Week 2 I was blessed with the so called carb flu. Low grade fevers, a general weakness, bad for a day, a pita for another, lingered for almost a week. So it messed with me for two full weeks, but I had enough information on hand to understand the process.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    Hey I just wanted to thank you for the "eat fat first, protein 2ed, and non-starchy carbs a distant 3ed" statement. It keeps popping into my head when I start getting hungry (my body is waking up it's amazing! I go from not being hungry at all to ravenous.) Today I had more energy, way less bloating and a level of communication with my body that is really exciting. I'm starting to feel like I can understand what it wants (really wants) and it's blowing me away. Thanks again for the encouragement:-)

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I'd really like to hear more about the symptoms of carb withdrawal. That is my down fall at the moment.. getting of those nasty carbs. But I'm getting there. I only had the chance to have breakfast (chicken and pumpkin from the night before) and didnt get a chance to eat till 4pm due to circumstance beyound my control.. and apart from feeling hungry and thirsty by then, I felt surprisingly ok. What has really helped in reading about not freaking out if missing a meal from Marks book. I've been terrified my milk supply ( am breastfeeding) would be comprimised, but it wasn't affected at.. Boobies kept making milk regardless.. isnt mother nature a wonderfull thing!

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Coconut,
    My first week primal was miserable. I was groggy and slow, generally useless crappy feeling. I had to keep my carbs below 100g/day for about 5 days before it passed. My body was accustomed to getting 250-400g carbs/day from processed foods with lots of sugar and grain, so it was a big change! I'm surprised it passed as quickly as it did. During that time I did not have the energy to exercise without getting dizzy, so I took it easy. Hope this helps.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feed back. Helen in Oz, you are right about going slowly. I still get quite hungry and baby's feeding varies day to day. But I'm still a bit confused about how much to eat to lose weight and breast feed while going primal. The silly thing is, our ancestors only ate primal, and maybe some days did not eat much at all.. and stillll produced babies and breastfed. I feel I need to trust my body to look after my baby and not be scare-mongered by CV that we need to eat as much as CV says we do.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    You dont have to give up the rice protein.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

hutax is offline Member
    It will continue to get better, just don't quit, ease your way into it and you will see some great results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast