Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All or nothing... page 3

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... I went through a no-breakfast phase a long time ago then told myself that that was unhealthy (CW) and now I'm so used to it it would be again difficult to change it. I think part of the issue is I've been very stressed with work lately, which does a number on my stomach, so I often wake up both hungry and with an aching stomach...so sometimes something lighter is where my mind is. When I'm not stressed, I'm usually very hungry with no stomach discomfort causing me to waffle about what to eat. Like this morning, first day of vacation, I'm just hungry, not in pain.

And yes, I want to follow Mark's plan, not the other ones that J3nn and Tim seem to recommend/advocate... So I'll stick with total carbs for now, and no rice.

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    One of my favorite breakfasts is some pumpkin purée, eggs, a splash of coconut milk and pumpkin pie spice, mixed well. Depending on how much time I have, I either bake it or microwave it. How much I make depends on how hungry I am.

Tre-E_Alex is offline Junior Member
    Why not throw some veggies into your bacon and eggs? I normally do spinach, onion, tomato along with two pieces of bacon and three eggs. If I'm less hungry I will reduce the eggs and the veggies accordingly. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

I would also change the fruit, bananas are good but low on the paleo totem pole. I would get some berries if you insist on having fruit.

Also, maybe some extra de-stress time before bed will help the underlying issue of upset stomach.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    LOki, I really suggest just trying a protein breakfast with a little bit of fruit (like melon). Have some eggs or cheese. Yogurt doesn't sustain me, personally.

I suspect that you're sensitive to the impact of starch on your blood sugar and that's why you're getting these hunger pangs, and waking up so early hungry. Seriously, since I cut out starch my appetite is like that of a child: completely natural. I eat when I'm hungry. No watching the clock for meal times. No set number of meals a day. It's worth trying, and it's completely primal
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    L0kI, do you like scrambled eggs? They can either be light or heavy depending on how many eggs, ingredients, etc. Sometimes if I just need something to tell my stomach to shut up, I scramble up two eggs with a little dried basil. As little as two teaspoons of grated Parmesan on top gives it tons of flavor. And it's a traditional breakfast food. I'm not sure why, but eggs can totally switch off hunger for me. Not sure (of course) if it works for everyone.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    And when her answer is that she's trying to follow j3nn's plan, I'll point her in the direction of net carbs.
    Counting NET carbs isn't my concept, it's borne out of common dietary knowledge. Many Primal people don't count it, are they actually following my plan and not Mark's? Ridiculous. There is NO reason to count something that has no effect on anything! If someone is aiming for 100g/day and has 30g dietary fiber, that's 30g of carbs that they could include and don't and may be why they feel like such crap. That extra banana or yogurt with honey might make a huge difference for them.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    There is NO reason to count something that has no effect on anything!
    Agreed. If it doesn't end up in the muscles or the liver, it doesn't count.

That sounds fantastic VH... I will try that!

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    I love egg drop soup for a light breakfast, but to get some protein too

Here's what I do:

Bring broth (whatever variety you choose) to a simmer on the stove.
    Beat an egg or two in a bowl.
    Drop the egg into the simmering broth.
    Remove from heat immediately.

Also, this isn't purest primal, but I make an easy almond flour bread. I mix 1 or 2 beaten eggs into about 1/3 "or so" of almond flour that has some salt, baking powder and some rosemary if you like that. Add a little oil if you wish.
    Place into a bowl (I use a 2-cup pyrex bowl) and microwave for 1 minute.

It is a nice bread-like treat, which I rarely indulge in but enjoy now and then.
    Last edited by spicegirl; 08-10-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi yogabear... When you say cutting out starch, you mean no potatoes or squash? I seem to have a little less difficulty digesting those types if veggies than I do with some of the more fibrous ones - I love pretty much all veggies except mushrooms - but sometimes they seem to aggravate my stomach... Potatoes, turnip, squash, rutabaga, yams seem to give me fewer issues. I just don't want to sacrifice nutrients by going off a very large subset of veggies - I'm already taking it a bit easy on my favourites like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and onions/garlic b/c of the stomach issues, if I then remove all the starchier veggies, I'm left with sweet peppers, carrots (meh), celery, cucumber and leafies which can also sometimes bother my gut. Then someone will tell me to ditch nightshades and I'm really f'ed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast