Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokin mama page

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member

Smokin mama

Shop Now
    Hi me. I say that cos I'm half hoping it'll be only me here, and half worried also. Anyway if my demented rumblings and poor choices infuriate any of you to such an extent that you feel obliged to hop on board and tell me to stop being such a twit please feel free.
    Background info?
    Erm ok that's a bit personal but here goes.. I'm 41 but I look 36 don't hate me, it's the fat what does it! Maybe I'm afraid to be thin in case it ages me. I've seen it in my CW friends. Anyway, I have always been pudgy, squidgy and overweight. Haven't worn a bikini since I was 8 and even then I knew I didn't quite measure up. By today's weight ranges I am considered obese, a label I have refused to let stick for years. I dress well, I look after myself, I put on my make up dont I? But as time moves on I am understanding more about the fleeting transience of ok health and how essential it is to be in great health and the long term benefits it can bring. I have 3 gorgeous boys and I plan on being around for them and nagging them for ever. Better mention my DH in case he gets jealous, he's pretty fantastic actually but I won't go on in case people start puking.

Anyway , as I said was always fat, oh yeah apart from that one year I only ate broccoli. That was fun. Oh yeah, then there was the cabbage diet, the grapefruit diet........... Yada, yada, yada, none of which worked. Then there was the total meal replacement. Oh yes, 3 meals a day replaced by a foul tasting shake or bar which let me with the worst halitosis ever. Mmmmmmm feel so sexy and thin but too embarrassed to kiss my husband. Way to go. I did lose nearly 3 stone though. But not toned and some other nasty side effects which I might expand on later.

So, yeah, all that weight back on and I'm up to 156 pounds, I'm only 5'2" so it's not a good look. I need to lose about 35 pounds. I did do some weight work and I know how great that can be. FH ( fantastic husband) went primal a couple of years ago but I didn't bite. To be honest he never pushed. I was healthy enough an quite often joined in his primal meals but would go off and join in all the CW behaviours. So, this summer off on holiday, thinking about not being able to wear the nice things I want, feeling tired all the time, generally noticeable deterioration in my health I had an epiphany. I was just thinking I wanted to lose weight and Bam! I was considering which diet fad I would go for next and I realised the answer was right in front of me! My husband had gone from " happy fat" ( we were very happy) to " ripped" in front of me. And so I started my paleo journey 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back. I have devoured everything literature wise that I can and have given 100 % to making my foods paleo. So far the results are good and reassuringly steady. But 6 lbs off in 2 weeks for someone who has seen the needle hover and even go up for years when following the strictest of diets is indeed success. I have battled the dreaded carb flu ( I thought I was dying, an exaggeration I know but I'll explain why later) and I am out the other side. I don't think I can go back, I don't WANT to go back. I am coming out the other end a smokin mama!

PS : I am also a smoker, hence the title, but hoping to kick that too. Please forgive.

Just back from visiting family for the weekend. Weather was nice enough to allow for a barbecue which meant food choices were simple. However had a lovely evening with sis accompanied by lots of vino collapso which has left me tired today. Went to a lovely vintage tea party and side stepped all the cute tiny sandwiches and cupcakes and treated myself to a fab sequinned vintage top instead. It looks fine now but will look even better with a few more pounds off. Mind you the sandwiches and cupcakes would probably have been less expensive. Recently a family member told me they apply 4 rules when deciding whether or not to buy something 1) do I need it? 2) Can I afford it? 3) is it a bargain? And 4) am I worth it? I seem to frequently skip the first 3 questions.
    Today
    B: BP coffee
    L: roast chicken with 1/2 baked pepper, roast red onion, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup mushrooms
    Supper: 2 slices Bacon, 2 scrambled eggs
    Snack: handful cashews ( cos I was feeling a bit tired/ wrecked)
    Funny I am feeling hungry too. I haven't felt peckish for days. Wine and I are apparently not friends any more

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, but you are not alone in here.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Hi honeybuns, thought there might be one or two others rattling around in here!

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    I went Primal in Jan (got braces on my teeth decided that was a good jump off point), started CrossFit in Feb and quit smoking 04/01/13. The original plan was to quit smoking in Aug once I had a very good handle on food and exercise but the finding of nodules in my lung speeded that up.
    For me the CrossFit and not smoking have been WAY easier than the food!!
    Oh and I was about 50 pounds overweight in Jan
    Keep up the good work and you'll know when it is time to quit smoking, I am so glad I did!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Hi filly one, i am super impressed. I hate smoking. I really wish I didn't smoke. it is the most humiliating thing I do. I am truly embarrassed that I smoke. The food thing is pretty ok for me which makes me wonder why I don't have the will power to give up smoking. I am really hoping like you did originally that once I get a handle on my personal health that will fall into place and then I worry that I am being naive. I hope all worked out ok with your nodules

So wine is definitely NOT my friend. 2 pounds on the scales this morning. I know I shouldn't but I'm obsessed with the numbers. I know I didn't cheat on my food so it has to be wine.
    It was enough to shift my ass into gear and do a quick workout. I got my 8 yr old DS to hold my ankles and shout abuse at me "really mummy you want me to shout shift your big fat lazy backside at you?" But the poppet did as he was asked and I crunched out 30 sit ups as well as some planks, lunges, squats and some shoulder lifts. I plan to for a long walk later. Oh how my fitness levels have lapsed in 2 years. My core strength is disappointingly gone.
    That's the thing about this WOE so far. My muscles are sort of singing at me, begging to be used. Any little exercise I do seems to have them bouncing. I'm not explaining myself well. Like last week I ha bought new bedroom furniture for one of the kids rooms and I spent a couple of hours fighting with the flat pack bunk beds. That night my biceps looked and felt like they did a few years ago when I did a good bit of weight training. It was like muscle memory. And the other day I went for a hike up a local mountain and my thigh muscles were so hard for days. Not sore, just really firm. Then again, maybe it's all in my head......... There's a lot of stuff that's just all in my head.

Talking of in my head I have been having the weirdest dreams recently about my food. The other night I dreamt I was pouring maple syrup down my throat and saying " who cares I'll start again tomorrow" when I got up I had to retrace all the things I had done the previous night to be sure I hadn't done it. And the other night I dreamt that every food I put into paleo track made the calories jump by 1000. I might need to cool my obsession with food a bit.

Breakfast was just a bulletproof coffee and lunch was a handful of raw baby spinach with 3 small poached eggs and a couple of slices of smoked salmon. For dinner I'm making steak with green veg. I bought some double cream and I'm going to trawl the net for a recipe for pepper sauce to put with it. That'll be interesting as I haven't had any dairy at all in nearly 3 weeks. Mmmmm maybe I shouldn't.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I spent three months weighing myself three times a day and journaling it. Not only did it help me to see how food choices caused a spike, it showed me that the scale is a data point only, not a be all end all. A friend of mine had turkey sandwiches on pretzel rolls and her weight shot up five pounds. She threw those pretzel rolls away because it was clear that her body didn't like it.

You might try something along these lines.

If you haven't had any dairy for three weeks, it will be pretty clear to tell after the cream whether or not you can tolerate it. To my dismay, I cannot.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Pineneedles is online now Senior Member
    Hello, I for one thought your journal title meant smoking as in hot. Smoking hot mama

Nice to see another UK journaller and good luck with it! Must help that your hubby is already on board the paleo wagon. Getting your 8yo to act as personal trainer / drill sergeant, genius!

I don't think I've had any anxiety dreams about paleotrack yet but it's surely only a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Pineneedles View Post
    Hello, I for one thought your journal title meant smoking as in hot. Smoking hot mama

Nice to see another UK journaller and good luck with it! Must help that your hubby is already on board the paleo wagon. Getting your 8yo to act as personal trainer / drill sergeant, genius!

I don't think I've had any anxiety dreams about paleotrack yet but it's surely only a matter of time...
    I aspire to the smokin hot that you originally thought Pineneedles but I would never be big headed enough to refer to myself in that way. Hmmmm maybe need to change the title. Now if I can just find the right button.

It was actually great having my 8 yr old do that cos I will often wimp out with exercise but with him there I had to keep going cos I didn't want to let myself down in front of him and I also want to teach him that exercise is an integral part of life. I have 2 other boys who are stuck to the sofa and only come out walking under duress but we keep plugging on.
    It's a bit harder being paleo in the UK I think as we don't seem to have the wealth and variety of fresh produce they seem to have in other parts of the world nor the speciality ingredients. I think the groceries came to over 200 last week so I fast footed it to lidl to see what I could get there. They have good bacon and eggs. Thanks for popping in and please call back again.
    BTW hope you weren't expecting hot pics of a smokin mama. Sorry if you were disappointed. Maybe in a few months. Hehe.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast