Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a pizza crust recipe page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Need a pizza crust recipe

So I absolutly love making pizza on the grill in the summer but I am primal now so I'm having issues. I did the meatsa thing and it was good but not what I am looking for. I need a recipe for an almond flour, coconut flour or something along those lines. A dough that will be the most pizza like and something that is not watery or it will just drip through the grill. Preferably a dough someone has tried which is why I haven't just googled a recipe. Thanks in advance.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    It will be hard to make a dough the consistency of pizza dough (that you could put on a grill) with coconut or almond flour, BUT what you could try doing is making a crust with those, baking it for about 5-8 minutes to "solidify" a bit, then add your ingredients and put it on the grill.
    I have been experimenting with pizza crust type stuff -- haven't perfected it yet, but thus far, I've discovered that eggs, cheese, salt, baking powder, and any combination of coconut flour and almond flour are the main ingredients (optional: add some garlic). You need roughly 1 egg, 1/8 tsp baking powder, and 2 tsp of cheese (I used parmesean) for every 2 tbsp of coconut/almond flour. Using this combination, 2 eggs will yield a crust approximately the size of an individual pizza (depending on how thick you want it).
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Thanks alot. My buddy has a Primo Oval XL (which is like a Big Green Egg grill) and when you load it with some lump charcoal and wood chips for taste it makes a damn good pizza. I don't have a wood fired oven but this is pretty close.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Part of what makes dough = dough is gluten.

So if you're stuck on having a grilled pizza dough, you really only have two options:

1. Go gluten free. Won't be grain free. Either buy a mix or check out a gluten free recipe on one of the millions of awesome gluten free blogs. The recipe will have gums, starches and a mix of 4-8 different gluten free grass/grain flours.

2. If you aren't celiac, eat the dang grilled pizza as a treat. Nothing is going to compare or even come close.

Oh there is the third option of trying something completely new! Maybe grilled chicken thighs with pizza toppings, or chicken breasts stuffed with pizza toppings... perhaps a grilled pork loin pizza roll? Because after all, real food rocks any dough!

cookie is offline Senior Member
    i can tolerate/appreciate quinoa, which not every primal dieter does. but if you do, here is a wonderful looking recipe for yeast risen pizza dough that i've been meaning to try for months. i'd bet a thousand dollars it will hold up on the grill. please let us know if you try it, and how it turns out!!!! i'll be trying mine next week.

http://glutenfreeday.com/?p=440

there is also this one, but it is not at all grill friendly, as it is more of a savory oven pancake. it is, however, amazing. it's the closest thing i've come to pizza crust, and is totally primal. enjoy!! (this one was my special little secret, but i couldn't let a fellow pizza fiend be in pain over a recipe.

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/re...izza_Crust.htm

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll have to try the recipes soon.

maba is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link cookie! I have lots of quinoa flour from my pre-primal days and I think I'll give this recipe a try. I've tried the zucchini/cauliflower/almond meal crusts but I missed the yeasty sour taste in them.

yaslind is offline Junior Member
    We've been making pizza crusts using the cauliflower, cheese, egg recipe. The first time it was very much like runny mashed potatoes, but I think we've got a better version down that is much drier and heartier. You'd still have to cook it in the oven for about 10 min, but I see no reason why you couldn't then flip it on the grill and add your toppings.

2 cup- cauliflower- roast dry florets in the oven at 400 until browned and fork tender. Chop into small pieces. Stir the cauliflower into a bowl with 2 cups of shredded cheese (we like part mozzarella and part provolone). Add in 2 eggs and mix well with your fingers. We season it with salt, pepper, oregano, fennel and bake it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Then we flip it over on the cookie sheet and then peel the parchment paper off. This gets both sides done very well and guarantees no sticking. Sprinkle a few tbsp of parmesan cheese and bake for 5-6 min more. Then add toppings and broil til melty. This method tastes very close to real crust.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    You can try blending sesame seeds and chia seeds with eggs and pre-cook it so that it will won't be liquid when you put your ingredients on it. You can pour it in a square bread mold that you previously greased so it won't stick.

The chia seed have a lot of fibers that expand when immersed in liquid so let it sit 10-15 minutes before pouring it in your bread mold before cooking the crust.

I'm trying the meatza today so I may try that alternative crust next.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the best recipe for the most "pizza" like dough is the one cookie gave a link too that is made with quinoa. Yes it has carbs in it so this won't be a daily meal but it isn't wheat and is the closest to a primal pizza I have seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast