Thread: Acne from fish oil/supplements? page

fresa is offline Member

Acne from fish oil/supplements?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, despite being primal for a while now, supplements have never been my thing. I hate taking pills, and, well, that's my excuse. My mom has been hounding me to take a multivitamin and fish oil for months, and I finally caved. I tried them both, with a multivitamin a day and fish oil maybe once a week, to start. My acne has gone CRAZY. For the record, I have annoyingly sensitive skin, and the smallest things will set it off. I am inclined to think my current issue is the fish oil, as it is generally worse the day after taking that particular supplement. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I don't have any issues with eating actual fish, so I don't really understand why fish oil would make a difference. Could it have something to do with how it is processed? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    What brand is it? Unfortunately the vast majority of fish oil supplements are unnaturally processed and quite possibly rancid.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Avoid.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Ask your mom if she can prepare a nice fresh salmon meal once a week, or ask her if you can compromise by eating a couple of cans of sardines per week. That is where real fish oil comes from. The stuff in a capsule/caplet is a manufactured product with little quality control.

I threw out an almost full container of fish oil tabs because I believe they gave me digestive upsets. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they exacerbated your acne.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

fresa is offline Member
    I was afraid of that! Thanks for the feedback, I'll push for real fish as being enough instead

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here are two links that might be helpful. They're not Primal or Paleo, so some of the foods they recommend as sources of O3 might not be recommended for the tribe. Still, they're fairly informational, and you can just skip the non-Primal foods.

Discovery Health "Top 10 Foods High in Omega-3"

omega-3 fatty acids
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    STOP TAKING FISH OIL. IT IS LIKE TAKING CRISCO AS A SUPPLEMENT.

Trans fat pills! Bad! PUT DOWN THE TRANS FATS AND WALK AWAY!

Andrew Kim Blog: Lipid peroxidation, acne, and the complexity of nutrient interactions

You don't need omega 3's. Human tissue is around 3% polyunsaturated fat (ideally). PUFA's don't have anywhere to go in the body - cells reject them as fuel. So they wind up around your waistline. Then, when you cut calories and lose weight, all those nasty PUFA's spill into your body and cause toxic effects. Weight loss needs to be slow, saturated fat needs to be elevated and carbohydrate needs to be ample to protect against this to slow the rate of PUFA oxidation. And yes, fish oil can easily cause acne.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.