Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kale Concerns (rant) page

lone.star is offline Junior Member

Kale Concerns (rant)

Shop Now
    It was recently mentioned in 'Dear Mark' and other nutrition sites, that kale contains oxalate and other anti-nutrients. I am highly irritated with this revelation because this was the one area I thought I was doing great in; cup of organic kale, some spinach with blueberries, primal fuel and coconut milk, blend and I have a primal breakfast.

Now I'm worrying that without steaming or sautéing, which I have absolutely no time for in the morning, I am actually hurting my body.

Does this fall into the 'don't sweat the small stuff' or is it a area for concern? I don't appear to be suffering from any of the common ailments associated with oxalate accumulation... What does the forum think?

I think it's a "don't sweat the small stuff" issue. Every food has some minor "defect" that makes it a concern in copious amounts. Kale's great stuff, and I vote keep eating it.

Paleobird Guest
    Personal preference. If you actually like kale, then eat it. I think it's nasty and so I don't eat it and my health is not suffering as a result.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Just cook it and it won't be a problem. The horrible taste on the other hand will always be a problem.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Just cook it and it won't be a problem. The horrible taste on the other hand will always be a problem.
    If I wanted kale broth, would it make any difference to juice it first and then cook it so I don't have to be bothered with straining the leaves?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

As long as you don't drink the juice, it'd probably be better.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    As long as you don't drink the juice, it'd probably be better.
    Well, I'd eat it after it's cooked, does that count as drinking it? lol I would like to add it to bone broth.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I developed a pattern of not eating the same food on consecutive days, mostly for variety/pleasure but it may be wise re: plant compounds too. If your diet is low in gut-damaging elements then oxalate is not likely to do much.

If you're still concerned, bake it in vinegar and salt or sauté in lard.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I developed a pattern of not eating the same food on consecutive days, mostly for variety/pleasure but it may be wise re: plant compounds too. If your diet is low in gut-damaging elements then oxalate is not likely to do much.

If you're still concerned, bake it in vinegar and salt or sauté in lard.
    That's my theory as well. Whole food is great. The same whole food every single day, probably not so great no matter what it is.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Well, I'd eat it after it's cooked, does that count as drinking it? lol I would like to add it to bone broth.
    It's not as concentrated, so that's ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast