Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil and MCT page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil and MCT

I've been taking 2 TBLs. of coconut oil a day for health benefits. The living situation I'm in right now discourages frying with it. I think it would be far easier to just take a MCT supplement or two instead of slurping the oil. Would someone compare the two for me? Also, I think the supplements might be less expensive than the oil, something I need to consider at present. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 08-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil has roughly 60% MCT's while MCT oil is entirely MCT. The two have different health benefits, MCT oil will boost ketone production more then CO and suppress hunger better. CO itself has a host of different health properties. I do daily cooking with CO and add MCT to my morning coffee.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Rosemary, not sure what is too expensive for you right now, but I got this a
    couple of weeks ago and it is HUGE... and the very nicest price I could find!

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

Julia

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    Coconut oil has roughly 60% MCT's while MCT oil is entirely MCT. The two have different health benefits, MCT oil will boost ketone production more then CO and suppress hunger better. CO itself has a host of different health properties. I do daily cooking with CO and add MCT to my morning coffee.
    The coconut oil I have right now is refined but I manage to quickly get it down. Does the MCT oil have a strong taste? It seems, since I'm doing this for the health and ketone benefits, it's more to the point. As I mentioned, I don't cook with the coconut oil, however it sure does make a great eye makeup remover and moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Rosemary, not sure what is too expensive for you right now, but I got this a
    couple of weeks ago and it is HUGE... and the very nicest price I could find!

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

Julia
    I went and checked your link, at ....$.29 an ounce it costs a little more than the coconut oil at Wal-Mart, $.20 an ounce. I take 2 Tbls a day which I read was about right for someone weighing 115 lbs. What is the amount a person should take of the MCT?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    the mct oil has zero taste, miss rosemary

no clue about the amount you should take though, sorry!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    The coconut oil I have right now is refined but I manage to quickly get it down. Does the MCT oil have a strong taste? It seems, since I'm doing this for the health and ketone benefits, it's more to the point. As I mentioned, I don't cook with the coconut oil, however it sure does make a great eye makeup remover and moisturizer.
    No, MCT oil is completely flavorless. It is usually a concentrated blend of MCTs extracted from coconut oil and palm oil.

Crosspost with fellow great mind thinking alike.

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    The MCT oil I have is very neutral tasting, it mixes well with coffee (I use upgraded MCT oil from bulletproof executive). I do 16/8 daily fasting and this stuff kill hunger instantly. The MCT oil gets turned straight to ketones after ingestion. It feels like the combo has a nootropic effect.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    It appears that the coconut oil seems to be the less expensive. I got all fired up after reading about the benefits of coconut oil in treating Dr. Mary (I think) Newport's husband's Alzheimer's disease, in a previous forum. I don't have Alzheimer's but they talked a lot about prevention. Thanks all 3 of you for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast