Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

Overhead Press = Difficult !

Shop Now
    Yesterday I was doing presses (SS style, standing up). and I was kind of taken aback by how hard they get...with just a small increase in bar weight. Empty bar, then warmup sets seem very comfortable, but then once doing work sets it is quite a challenge. I had to go down 5 lbs just to finish 3 sets of five because my form, coordination was falling apart in the second set. Should I increment these by 2.5 lbs instead of 5 lbs each workout? This was with a whopping 90lb load. (Oh yeah I'm that huge...) I guess I am pretty weak up there.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You should probably start lighter. Then do 5 lbs jumps for a short time, then switch to 2.5's or ever 1.25's to avoid stalling.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah OHP is tough... I agree .

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Eventually, you may have to go up by .5 pounds at a time. You can find those little discs in 1 pound down to 1/4 pound increments. They help.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you engage your core while doing those presses. "Belly tight"--something I'm always being told.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Women typically seem to progress very slowly at these, also, so don't get discouraged if that's you. And yes, they are tough. Just keep at it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Are you kidding? 90 lbs would be my wet dream. I have been lifting for 4 years, and the best I could do was to press 68 lbs 5x5. On a good day. I think I did 70 lbs once. Never again after that. Push-presses only added a touch more (never managed 85 lbs) . When I just started, I had to use pre-loaded 30 lbs bar, i could not use the empty bar. Still building up to 3x12 on the empty bar (managed 40 # last time, yay!)

So, you rock!

I use ankle weights and add 1 lbs increment.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think my 1 rep max is only 70. Plus it's a weird one in that I can pretty easily get my 1 rep max, but then add 5 lbs and I just can't move that weight at all. I think they are just flat out hard! I do have an easier time if I really think about keeping my core strong and I just rest the bar in my hands- no grip.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Thx LOL maybe I need some testosterone supplements…being a dude. But there is no denying that my lower body has always been much more muscular than my upper body, for whatever reason. I think these are all good tips though. I will try looking for those small plates and go back down to 85, making sure I do it cleanly.

Would adding sit-ups into my workouts help build core strength for the press? There's nothing in SS about sit-ups. My gym has a decline sit-up bench (I think that's what it is called). This may be better for a separate thread, but I have been wondering if there are other things I could/should be doing in the gym besides SS? After all I am paying all that money but only using a few of the toys they have.

I'll probably spring for some of those Rogue shoes, too.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    85 and 90 ain't bad at all for a dude. Everybody has got to start somewhere. As to the "anything else" question.... more isn't always better.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast