Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 7

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Anything wrong with just a little bit of knee bend or is that totally a no-no?
    The problem is a little bit at 115 lbs will be a little bit more at 120, and then you're not really progressing because you're just doing submaximal push-presses instead of actually training the press. Just say "NO" to knee bend.

mev20 is offline Junior Member
    Form is so important on the overhead press. That was reinforced for me last night. I did 2x5 at 120 but the 5th rep of that second set was REALLY hard. I was pretty sure I would not get 5 on the 3rd set. However, on the 4th rep of that 3rd set I think I lucked into near perfect form and the bar nearly floated up. The rep took nothing out of me and I was able to get that 5th rep, although not nearly as easily. It was a nice reminder that I'm supposed to be focusing on form on those warm-up sets instead or rushing through them to get to the "real" work.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I think my 1 rep max is only 70. Plus it's a weird one in that I can pretty easily get my 1 rep max, but then add 5 lbs and I just can't move that weight at all.
    Isn't it funny? I think this is a girl thing, too. As is staying at the same press PR for months and months. It's just a really hard lift for us.

Today we were testing 1RM strict press, so we built up with some warmup sets and then started on the 1-1-1. I was feeling pretty hot and started the first rep with my old PR, 80#--moved like butter. Then we did 85. Again, got it up no problem. Then 90. A strain, but I got it locked out. At this point I was feeling REALLY hot, being that I'd already hit a 10lb PR, so I decided to try for one more rep and loaded to 95. Couldn't even budge the bar off my chest. It was hilarious. When you fail press, you fail HARD.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Isn't it funny? I think this is a girl thing, too. As is staying at the same press PR for months and months. It's just a really hard lift for us.

Today we were testing 1RM strict press, so we built up with some warmup sets and then started on the 1-1-1. I was feeling pretty hot and started the first rep with my old PR, 80#--moved like butter. Then we did 85. Again, got it up no problem. Then 90. A strain, but I got it locked out. At this point I was feeling REALLY hot, being that I'd already hit a 10lb PR, so I decided to try for one more rep and loaded to 95. Couldn't even budge the bar off my chest. It was hilarious. When you fail press, you fail HARD.
    It's not a girl thing. My press is stuck too. I'm currently microloading my way back up from a deload because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get sets of 5 at 147.5. I have pressed 165 for a single at a bodyweight of 164 and 160 at a bodyweight of 159, but I can't seem to break the bodyweight barrier for reps. Women just stall at lower weights because they carry so damn much less of their muscle mass in their upper bodies.

prufock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm not sure where you got the impression that the press starts from up by the shoulders. I always lower the bar to my chest. The problem with using knee drive to get the bar moving is that your form will "creep." That is, over time, you'll unintentionally put a little more and a little more knee drive into the movement without intending to. I'd back off on the weights and work your way back up with your knees locked. Microloading will be necessary.
    From the how-to vids I've seen (I usually check exrx for form), it seems to me that the push press starts a little higher, more like above the collarbone, while the military-style press comes below the clavicle to the top of the pecs. I do top of the pecs. Maybe that's just my perception and isn't accurate, though.

I know, I have noticed the "creep," which sucks, but I've noticed I AM still gaining strength as well, it's just coming slower on the press than any other exercise. IE I can do about 100-110 now with pretty good form, which is more than before. More than that and I'm dipping. I have deloaded and worked up a few times at this point, and I've done 120, but definitely dipping there. I'm currently at 115, but I will try to improve my form on my next gym day (Friday). If that means deloading again so be it.

My gym has the smallest weights in 2.5 increments. I guess I could buy some smaller ones for my own use.

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    My gym has the smallest weights in 2.5 increments. I guess I could buy some smaller ones for my own use.
    Yeah, I've yet to hear about a gym that has microplates. I just use some big 2" ID industrial washers. Baseball bat practice weights work just as well. Real micro plates are unnecessarily expensive.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567