Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 6

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    I started stronglifts using just the 45# bar, having a calculated 5-rep max of about 90#. I built up to 90# pretty easily in 5# increments, but hit a wall at every 5# increment after that. Failed 3 times at 95#, reset weight, built up to 100#, failed 3 times, reset weight, etc. My best lift on these so far was 125, but form was definitely suffering at that point. I'm still not 100% clear on form; it seems like there are 2 conflicting thoughts - either you lock your knees, or a knee drive is ok. At 125# I'm definitely knee-driving (probably at lower weights as well), whereas at 90-110 or so I can do it locked.

What do you mean by knee-driving? Like dipping? That would make it a push press, not an overhead press. Your not supposed to drive with anything except your arms when doing an overhead press.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    What do you mean by knee-driving? Like dipping? That would make it a push press, not an overhead press. Your not supposed to drive with anything except your arms when doing an overhead press.
    Yes, this. Doing the push press makes it easier to lift a heavier weight. A strict press has no drive from the knees at all! (I think both are valid, but shouldn't be compared to each other in terms of weight pressed).

Also, it really helps to use smaller increments. I have been stuck for ages on presses simply because the lowest I can go up by is 2.5kg (a little under 5lbs) while really I'd like to be able to go up by 500g!! While I can JUST lift 32.5kg there's no way I can press 35kg...

prufock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Yeah, similar to a push press, but not as explosive. A slighter dip, and coming from the chest, not shoulders. Right now I can do a basic overhead, military-style press of about 110. Once I hit 115 or higher I tend to start dipping a bit. Still working on form after all this time!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, similar to a push press, but not as explosive. A slighter dip, and coming from the chest, not shoulders. Right now I can do a basic overhead, military-style press of about 110. Once I hit 115 or higher I tend to start dipping a bit. Still working on form after all this time!
    How can you dip from the chest? That makes no sense to me. There's no joint in your chest.

prufock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    How can you dip from the chest? That makes no sense to me. There's no joint in your chest.
    Yeah, that wasn't clear. I meant that the bar is rising from and returning to my chest, rather than more from the shoulder area like the press; the dip is still in the knees, just not as deep as a push press (ie, this). Also there's no dip or very little dip when I lower the weight back to my chest.

Yeah, that wasn't clear. I meant that the bar is rising from and returning to my chest, rather than more from the shoulder area like the press; the dip is still in the knees, just not as deep as a push press (ie, this). Also there's no dip or very little dip when I lower the weight back to my chest.
    I'm not sure where you got the impression that the press starts from up by the shoulders. I always lower the bar to my chest. The problem with using knee drive to get the bar moving is that your form will "creep." That is, over time, you'll unintentionally put a little more and a little more knee drive into the movement without intending to. I'd back off on the weights and work your way back up with your knees locked. Microloading will be necessary.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I'm wondering about this myself...in those Starting Strength videos there is a lot of emphasis put on curving the legs forward and then straightening them out quickly in order to get a little jump from the bar of off the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Hmm. I'm wondering about this myself...in those Starting Strength videos there is a lot of emphasis put on curving the legs forward and then straightening them out quickly in order to get a little jump from the bar of off the chest.
    Hips forward. No knee bend. Totally different issue. Watch again.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Hips forward. No knee bend. Totally different issue. Watch again.
    To further elaborate on this, it is the hips that travel forward, not the back bending backwards like many think. The back remains rigid throughout the entire movement. This is an important point.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Yes I've noticed that. Leaning back is very bad and pinches stuff.

Anything wrong with just a little bit of knee bend or is that totally a no-no?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast