Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 5

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh and weirdly I looove the overhead press! I think it's cause I'm relatively good at whereas I suck at squats. I'd love to do them more often and I think I'd improve more if I did. (Women tend to be the other way around and are better at legs than arms). I'm not super great at them but I out lifted the other women which always makes me feel better after squat day!!

Oh and there was one guy at CF doing them and I think his highest was 35kg (77 lbs) and he's not particularly small, just untrained.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    This has always been my weakest SS lift as well- always thought my shoulders were just shit. Two personal things that have helped me have been: 1. Wearing a belt for work sets. 2. Coaching cue: Drive the heels down through the floor. I try to imagine myself digging with my heels INTO the floor on each rep.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Update: I've just been keeping at it, little by little. I guess I am getting stronger. Maybe eating more is helping, and resting longer between sets. I surprised myself by doing 105lbs x5x3 today.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Update: I've just been keeping at it, little by little. I guess I am getting stronger. Maybe eating more is helping, and resting longer between sets. I surprised myself by doing 105lbs x5x3 today.
    Nice work, congrats. Adding 5lbs next session??????

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, you guys think normal OHP is tough...I'm not looking forward to incorporating these ones in starting next week:

T NATION | Z Press: Advanced Overhead Pressing

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Not bad, keep at it!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Yes I'll add 5 at the next but maybe not complete... Sometimes it takes me two sessions to go up 5 lbs. Same with bench press.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'm kind of a bit stuck on bench, need to eat more, but aiming at fat loss at present, can't have it all !

prufock is offline Member
    I started stronglifts using just the 45# bar, having a calculated 5-rep max of about 90#. I built up to 90# pretty easily in 5# increments, but hit a wall at every 5# increment after that. Failed 3 times at 95#, reset weight, built up to 100#, failed 3 times, reset weight, etc. My best lift on these so far was 125, but form was definitely suffering at that point. I'm still not 100% clear on form; it seems like there are 2 conflicting thoughts - either you lock your knees, or a knee drive is ok. At 125# I'm definitely knee-driving (probably at lower weights as well), whereas at 90-110 or so I can do it locked.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For most people, 5# increments are too much for the press. I have some washers from McMaster-Carr that allow me to go up in increments as small as 1.25# (the washers are ~0.625# each). They're not expensive and they fit perfectly on a 2" bar sleeve. As do baseball bat practice weights, which come in 1# and 1.25# versions (for 2# and 2.5# increments, respectively).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast