Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yeah, they have the support. In my experience, crunches and planks were lousy support. The once that pack umph were the pull-ups, leg lifts from hang and torture twists.
    Have you ever tried hanging leglifts with twists and scorpion leg-kickbacks? It's an excellent warm-up exercise that activates core, posterior chain, glutes and pulling and push muscles! Hanging leg lifts with a twist and a scorpion kickback with the legs...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I did not do the kickbacks, but I did the hanging twists. Lately however, I let go off support, since I simply do not have anything to give after the main lifts are done. I dunno, the body-weight program centered around the parallel bars could be actually pretty cool. I am too weak to do the rings
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Hanging leg lifts should be performed as a warm-up exercise for pulling exercises since it activates your grip, core, back and posterior chain! Personally I find deadlifting or heavy rows more easy after warming up with hanging leg lifts first...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

That's the reason I row at least 8 min before lifting. Rowing machine is the best way I found so far to prep for lifting. I will try the leg lifts, thank you.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    The problem with toes-to-bar and knees-to-elbows is that you have to have decent core strength to even be able to do them. I can't do toes-to-bar at all and can only sort of do knees-to-elbows.
    I should have clarified even further. I've seen MANY people start at this level. If you can't do knees-to-elbows, even knees above hips would improve core strength.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

denver83 is offline Junior Member
    When weight training you will find that any movement that you generally don't do with weight day to day is hard.

Shoulders have always been my weakness as it is unnatural for me to push weight above my head (being 6 foot). But your muscles adapt quickly.

I find the max OT approach gains strength VERY quickly.

Choose a heavy weight that you can manage at least 4 reps with but no more than 6. Do 3 sets.

I did this for around 6 months last year and my bench press (dumbbells) went from a set of 16kgs to a set of 34s.

Keep pushing!

denver83 is offline Junior Member
    Leida,

Best prep for lifting is a set of lighter weights to warm the muscles.

Weight training requires explosive power to get the most from your muscles but by rowing before hand you will be depleting your glycogen stores.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    I should have clarified even further. I've seen MANY people start at this level. If you can't do knees-to-elbows, even knees above hips would improve core strength.
    Cool, I'll try to do this more often. A lot of times I avoid things that I can't do properly (like knees to elbows) because I get annoyed/frustrated that I can't do them right. But that's obviously stupid cuz you're not going to get better at things you never practice.

Best prep for lifting is a set of lighter weights to warm the muscles.
    Yes, I do that, but i find the results MUCH better if before that I also warm up on the rower. I am an old woman, lol, and not limber, lol.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The other day we did presses in crossfit.. We had to do 6 rounds of 4... I think I did 22.5, 25, 27.5, 30, 30 and back to 27.5 because there was no way I could do another set of 30 (kg btw not lbs!)

I think you need to just add on what you can and work on gradual improvement. (Although I was going up by approximately 5lbs at a time, I guess). However if it wasn't crossfit and I was doing it alone I'd be adding the smallest amount possible in order to increase what I could lift.

My issue is we don't really do them often enough last time we did presses 30kg was my 1rm so I've definitely gone up!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast