Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    62.5 is my 1 rep max. Sometimes I can 1 rep it for set after set. Sometimes I can't. It never improves. Only fluctuates.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Would adding sit-ups into my workouts help build core strength for the press? There's nothing in SS about sit-ups. My gym has a decline sit-up bench (I think that's what it is called). This may be better for a separate thread, but I have been wondering if there are other things I could/should be doing in the gym besides SS? After all I am paying all that money but only using a few of the toys they have.
    You improve at doing a thing by doing the thing, not by doing other things.

If there is equipment in the gym you'd like to try, by all means, try it out. Kettlebells and cable pulleys can be a great support assist. Pull ups and chin ups is imho the single best addition to any program.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Corwin1968 is offline Member
    I haven't strength trained in a long time but the OHP was always my favorite out of the SS lifts. In an untrained state I generally start around 70 lbs and I don't remember how high I got when I did SS for 10 weeks.....105'ish sounds right but that may be overly generous of my memory.

As Rippetoe says, the day the barbell was invented someone figured out a way to lift it up over his head, after all, it's the natural thing to do.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin1968 View Post
    As Rippetoe says, the day the barbell was invented someone figured out a way to lift it up over his head, after all, it's the natural thing to do.
    Yeah, I always thought that doing deadlifts had to be against the natural order of things to do…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

diene is offline Senior Member
    I asked one of my crossfit coaches the exact question that you asked--what else can I do to improve my core strength so I can improve my overhead press? I was told that doing all these overhead lifts (basically anything that involves moving a barbell or dumbbell overhead) improves core strength.

My 1 RM right now is 70, but I think my form goes to hell at 70. (I start to arch my back, which is something you're not supposed to do.) My push press is significantly better though--I can push press 100.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Getting yourself some oly shoes will definitely help with your squats, and some of the other lifts... but not sure they will improve much on your OHP. Like others have said, it's one of those lifts that even adding the little baby bumpers on (the small discs... I like to call them baby bumpers, and trust me I use them A LOT) will effect the lift. I have also noticed that even rep scheme doesn't do much difference for me in my max. I 1 rep maxed last week at 70 lbs, then did a 5 rep max this past weekend at 65. I suppose that's about right percentage wise, but I felt if I could do 65 lbs, then my one rep should be higher, but alas...

If you DO happen to want to work on core strength, I have found that movements activiating the entire front chain of muscles to help tremendously. I am specifically talking about "knees to elbow" and "toes to bar". If you haven't ever done those, you can google them pretty easily. Breathing correctly, and keeping form will always help to improve a lift. Keep at it!!!
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You improve at doing a thing by doing the thing, not by doing other things.
    That make sense, of course - the reason I asked was that there's an Olympic Press video on the SS site and they show some kind of sit-up at the end.:

Starting Strength: Video
    (fast forward to about 20:20 near the end to see it)

I'll have to try that elbow/toe-to-knee thing...I wonder if I can even do one...looks like it's quite challenging!

Yeah, they have the support. In my experience, crunches and planks were lousy support. The once that pack umph were the pull-ups, leg lifts from hang and torture twists.

diene is offline Senior Member
    The problem with toes-to-bar and knees-to-elbows is that you have to have decent core strength to even be able to do them. I can't do toes-to-bar at all and can only sort of do knees-to-elbows.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Argh, I am itching to get to the gym and lift something somewhere. Anything!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast