Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press = Difficult ! page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Thx LOL maybe I need some testosterone supplements…being a dude. But there is no denying that my lower body has always been much more muscular than my upper body, for whatever reason. I think these are all good tips though. I will try looking for those small plates and go back down to 85, making sure I do it cleanly.

Would adding sit-ups into my workouts help build core strength for the press? There's nothing in SS about sit-ups. My gym has a decline sit-up bench (I think that's what it is called). This may be better for a separate thread, but I have been wondering if there are other things I could/should be doing in the gym besides SS? After all I am paying all that money but only using a few of the toys they have.

I'll probably spring for some of those Rogue shoes, too.
    My opinion on the sit-ups: no. They were left out of Starting Strength for a reason.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    The OHP is nature's way to prevent our heads from swelling

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough? Hobbits require a lot of food to get strong . Make sure that you're eating lots of protein and enough carbs to fuel your lifting sessions.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

They guy I lift with presses around 90 too. After every set, he looks at me and goes "Man, that is HEAVY," to which I respond "It's supposed to be heavy. That's why they make the plates out of iron."

Remember that it's harder to get unstuck than never get stuck in the first place. Eat, lift more next time, focus on recovery, repeat. YOU GOT THIS, BRO!!!

RedMenace is offline Senior Member
    I just did my first sets ever of these today, and holy god they're hard. I couldn't do the Olympic bar for more than three (hello 3rm!) I had to move down to a 30lb bar.

It might have been a bit light at that point, but at least I can work up now.

So hey, at least you have serious weights on your bar. I'm impressed!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    My opinion on the sit-ups: no. They were left out of Starting Strength for a reason.
    I agree. As a rule I'm just not a sit up fan. There are better ways if you feel like you "need" abdominal training.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    There are better ways if you feel like you "need" abdominal training.
    Yup. Which most people doing a novice linear progression don't need. But if they insist, they have many better options.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, overhead press is not supposed to be easy, it’s an exercise that definitely takes its toll! Personally I like to do press behind the neck and I use a “false” grip that makes me press more weight with better form. When starting the exercise I do full ROM but I do not lock out on top before close to failure. Then I do “partials” from lockout down to my ears until failure. And finally I lower the bar to my shoulders and try to push-press it to the top of my head, cheating with all muscles in my body until I can’t move the bar anymore. Persons with shoulder problems should do press from the front instead, military press first to failure with heels together and finish with push-press with a broader stance…
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons it's harder is because you are increasing by a large percentage as well. If you start at 85lbs and increase by 5lbs, you've gone up 5.88%. If for squat you start at 150 and go up by 5lbs, you've gone up by only 3.33%. If you can increase more slowly you'll likely make more progress.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Rich + Jeff your posts encouraged me to drink a giant whey protein shake last night and today I added at least 10 to my bench, squat, and deadlift, so that felt good. I'll do the OH press again on Monday and see how it goes.

I can see where balancing strength gains (eating protein) with losing body fat gets tricky though…. I "feel" thinner when I lift and then don't eat a lot. Plain chicken breast without skin gets boring fast, though, so when I eat I tend to eat high fat protein.

I was re-reading SS again last night and Mark does say the OH press is the hardest one in the program, since it uses the smallest amount of muscle mass to execute. I guess that makes sense and is a good argument for 1.25 lb plates.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast