Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprised at aching muscles after carb refeed page

ratcliffe_mike is offline Junior Member

Surprised at aching muscles after carb refeed

Primal Fuel
    I tend to feel good on VLC and usually walk for about 40 minutes a day (sprinting 100 metres whenever I feel the urge). I went for a walk about a week ago and part way through a sprint I suddenly felt turbo charged and I am convinced that I have never ran that fast in my life.

Anyhow, we had visitors and I decided to use that as an opportunity for a carb refeed. Now that my guests have left I went for my usual walk but am amazed that I felt extremely week and struggled to even finish my walk without any sprints.

I am surprised at this weakness after a refeed because I would have expected to feel more energetic, not less.

Has anybody else experienced this and does anybody know what would cause me to feel week after my refeed?
    If you are interested in my progress you can see it here.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    After a failed attempt at VLC for about 15 days I pigged out on $hit for 3-4 days (it was Christmas time - lots and lots of cookies...). I felt horrible. No energy, muscles were achey. I felt weak. I was also retaining A LOT of water and my whole body just felt like it didn't fit in my skin. I couldn't make a fist because my fingers were so puffy. That was a bad re-feed Since then I've haven't had any multi-day stretches of crappy eating (nor did I stick with VLC - I'm usually in the 100g/day range). However, I've had many single meals of crappy eating and I almost always get really bad calf cramps when I'm lying down in the evening on those days. I have my own cockamamie ideas to explain my observations but they are probably best not aired in a public forum

So, yes, I have experienced this but no, I have no idea why Maybe someone smarter than me will!
    Last edited by lorichka6; 08-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Same experience here. I have a hard time keeping my blood sugar stabilized, so for me I think part of it is in my head (reaction to funky BS) and part of it is inflammation from high insulin.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    What kind of carbs? I feel well after 30 miles cycling + a pile of baked kabocha, plantain pancakes, mashed taro, etc. but sugar and wheat make me a little anxious and queasy.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Refeeds seem to do absolutely nothing in regards to recovery for me. More meat and an epsom salt bath seems to work best.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I seem to need to do a lose/feed cycle, but feeds turn me into a zombie. I had a big eat before a half marathon long ago and I just Had No Go. I finished, but I was miserable and it took a long time.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Aching muscles after a re-feed is due to more glycogen storage that leads to water pressure inside the muscles and the muscle-fascia. And yes, it is also normal to feel weak the morning after a heavy re-feed, especially if eating too late at night…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Refeeds seem to do absolutely nothing in regards to recovery for me. More meat and an epsom salt bath seems to work best.
    Yep. IMO re-feeds are mostly bro sci promoted by the bodybuilding crowd. If you are really lean and working out like a fiend very frequently, then you need refeeds. If you leave adequate time in between workouts for recovery, your glycogen refills all by itself.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. IMO re-feeds are mostly bro sci promoted by the bodybuilding crowd. If you are really lean and working out like a fiend very frequently, then you need refeeds. If you leave adequate time in between workouts for recovery, your glycogen refills all by itself.

That could be it! I only hit the gym really hard 2x/week. More than enough time to top off without any extra effort.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Re-feeds help to restore hormones such as leptin when dieting, and re-feeds aka glycogen loading is used by performance athletes in many types of sports...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast