Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal Cheryl page

cheryl is offline Member

Primal Journal Cheryl

Started Thursday August 8, so this is day two. I've been reading, reading, reading. Trying to figure out the "rules" I have been reading a few Paleo sites as well. Yes I have the Primal Blueprint, and am trying to read it but its got a lot of info, right now I want the "How to do it". As far as I can tell, no sugar, no grain, peanuts.
    That's difficult but not impossible. My biggest issue is my coffee with sugar and my sweet tea. I guess I will have to give the Stevia another shot. I have some at home (but I'm not home) so I will see what the health food store down the street has.

I'm supposed to declare my reasons and my plan.
    This is the deal. I've been fighting my weight since I was a teenager. My relatives were mostly overweight. My mom tried to help, but saying things like "Give it to your brother it looks better on his hips then yours", not really helpful.
    I was very active, played, softball, had a horse from age 13 on, rode almost daily I was healthy, thought I was overweight, what 16 year old goes to Weight Watchers?
    When I became pregnant at 19 with my first child, from then on the fight was on! I gained, lost, starved, aerobicized, step-classed, starved, tried every stupid diet ever made. Except Atkins, no way was I giving up bread!

I always seemed 10 to 20 pounds over weight, but I carried it well and looked decent, guess that was the size my body wanted to be.
    Another child, more weight, and our socializing revolved around going out to eat, having people over to eat or going to parties, and eating.

In 1999 I had a high pressure job that I loved, worked 60 or more hours a week, a husband, 2 kids and a dog, also was attending a collage class. Busy busy busy!

I had horrible headaches for about a month, 4 trips to the ER, a neurologist who said I was "stressed" and then it all went BOOM!

On May 17th, I had two strokes, went into a coma and almost died. I was very blessed to get a diagnoses, the condition was so rare at the time. I have an autoimmune condition called Central Nervous System Vasculitis.
    I was already 25 pounds over weight when I got sick and between medication and my balance issues (I lost the use of my left side and had to relearn how to walk again), I gained a lot of weight.
    I was 280 pounds at my highest weight.
    I have some disabilities from the strokes so my exercise is somewhat limited to mostly walking and my left hand can grab but no fine motor skills.

So! After I got of the year of prednisone I started Sugar Busters. Great plan, lost weight. Gained weight, lost weight.

Spark People, great plan, lost some more weight, gained, lost, gained.

I am now at 206 pounds. I have joint pain, bursitis, corporal tunnel and peripheral nerve damage. Between the strokes, prednisone, Cytoxan & Imuran, my poor body has taken a beating!
    My husband wanted to try this, I think he say something on TV. So I do the research, figure it out, shop and tell him the details.

Over the past year we've been working out, eating good and just not getting anywhere after an initial 30 pound loss, just hanging and now gaining!

I've never cut grains and sugar, this is going to be interesting.

Yesterday I had 2 tsp sugar in my morning coffee and I used Splenda for my night coffee and this morning coffee. Yuck. I might actually give up coffee because I'm beginning to see I really like my coffee sweet, black with no creamer, so maybe its the sugar I like not the coffee?

I went through this when I did Sugar Busters, but I used Agave which seems to be a horrible thing according to what I reading on the boards, Splenda & Agave are apparently really bad.

Anyway, breakfast was a nectarine and a banana, ate a couple I serving sized bags of nuts, for lunch because I was out running around, and I ate a meatball, stir-fry steak with bell peppers, hard boiled egg, 2 cups of fruit salad, (cantaloupe, watermelon, some strawberries), another banana & a peach. Can you tell I'm over compensating for lack of table sugar with all the fruit?

Today I ate a hard boiled egg, 2 fried eggs, about 1 half cups of broccoli, cauliflower & carrots, and some fruit salad, hey Publix had a buy one get one!

Feeling a bit spacey, not looking forward to the detox of sugar and carbs. I'm hoping it won't be that bad. I'm just going to focus on no grains, no sugar. I'll worry about the amount of fruit and stuff after I get a handle on no grain & sugar!
    Last edited by cheryl; 08-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.

cheryl is offline Member
    Day Four already! I'm pretty amazed. Usually when I change my eating I am miserably, cranky and hating life. Today I work up full of energy, have been out & about working around the house. It's August in Florida, it's hot. I'm absolutely fine, felt no urge to nap like I usually do, its scary! I picked up some organic coconut sugar and my coffee tastes awesome, so my life is good!

As I go further into these next few weeks, I am just going to freak out if I lose weight and continue to feel great because I dumped grains! Its a bit more complicated than that but seriously, the one thing I never thought I could give up might be the one thing making me feel like crap and be fat. Its crazy.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Cheryl, I'm glad for your enthusiasm, it's wonderful that you are feeling so great already. I would suggest now is a great time to clear out your pantry of those things that you are no longer going to be eating and to restock with wholesome real foods so you are ready to continue when things get a little hectic, instead of slipping back into unhelpful habits. Eventually you will find this way of eating to be second nature but for now having a plan will be a great prop. All the best for your continued progress.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Cheryl. I'm glad it's going well. I'm hoping you will be one of Mark's Success Stories some day.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

cheryl is offline Member

Day 5

Stepped on the scale just to look. It shows a 3 pound loss since I started. I'm waiting till thursday to do an "official" weigh in though. Not that the scale is the boss of my weight loss, learned that doing Spark People. It is very motivating to see progress though.
    Got up, started working, then just started cleaning, the bad part about working from home is getting distracted from work! I was just going to do the kitchen area but I ended up cleaning & organizing the kitchen, dining area, living room, scrubbed the off-white leather couch, loveseat & chair, and dusted. I have a Floormate floor scrubber or I would have been 10 hours straight cleaning the 1600 sq ft of tile in those areas. The bedrooms have carpet, did those the other day! I cleaned from 8:30 to 3 pm, I drank a no-carb shake and ate some nuts and 2 peaches for breakfast & lunch. Walked the dog. I was beat about 5 pm. Daughter made the most awesome delicious bacon wrapped chicken for dinner, which I ate with steamed broccoli & carrots.

Here is the recipe:Full Bellies, Happy Kids: Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken

It has brown sugar but she used maybe 3 tablespoons between 3 large boneless chicken breasts so its not horrible. I have tried super hard to not use things not considered primal because I don't want to get in the habit of thinking "oh its just this small thing" on a regular basis, it tends to turn into full time and before you know it you're not even close to the real plan anymore!

I am pretty amazed at the total lack of cravings I have. My daughter had a piece of red velvet cake and brought Ben & Jerry's (female thing) and I was totally uninterested. An Oreo commercial caught my eye and I was thinking "Won't be eating any of those, definitely not Primal", and I didn't even feel a bit of panic at the thought. *shrug*
    My husband called yesterday (he's working in a city about 70 miles from home so company rented him a condo, he usually comes home weekend but has not been able to for a while, I stay with him on and off so its OK) but He was trying to shop Primal, asked if corn was OK,
    I said NO
    He asked if frozen corn was OK
    I said NO. I told him green veggies, or leafy veggies, peppers, ect, went down the list.
    He said "No corn huh"
    He's not one for changing easily.
    Then he calls while driving somewhere, says "Hold on, at the drive up",
    What drivethru? MacDonalds
    Yuk! Chick Fil A would have been a better choice, at least its real food!
    I will have to make him a list of OK eat out foods. He has a bad habit of waiting til he's starving then grabs the closest drive though.

So its all good here. Full of energy, happy with food choices, life is good!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you have really had a hard time, you are due some good stuff Diet worked awesomely for me, I hope it works well for you too.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

cheryl is offline Member

Cool Two Week Mark

Wow its been two weeks today that I stopped eating flour/grain products! I've tried to eat Primal and have eliminated white sugar from my diet. I cannot say some sugar might have sneaked in unknown to me but I have stayed away from processed foods and have used items that are gluten free, or no sugar added. My poor iPhone is tired of looking up "Is it Primal?"
    This is not as hard as I thought it could be. I'm finding it so easy and feeling so great I'm wondering if I'm doing everything wrong, but its so simple its hard to mess it up!

I bought a Hamilton Beach single serve blender. It was on sale at Target for $15 so I grabbed it. It works great for my protein shakes, my little hand blender was not quite doing it for the me.

Went to Costco the other day. Brought all frozen fruit, veggies meat and a huge bag of Organic Flax seed. The checkout guy commented "Sure brought a lot of meat". Its really not that difficult to bypass all the processed flour & grain based foods, its just amazing how most foods are processed grains and I didn't really notice.

I think I dropped another 2 pounds but its hard to tell as PMS has struck. I'm going to do official weigh ins once a month. I learned through tracking on Spark People that I can get bummed out if weekly weigh ins don't show progress, once a month is better, although I automatically step on the scale daily, the numbers don't really bother me because its not "official". Yes mind games, but it works for me!

I'm not going to stop even if I don't drop a ton of weight to start anyway. I truly like eating like this, it feels really good. Of course if I start gaining I'll need to evaluate the calories, which I'm not really doing right now. I'm focusing on eating the right stuff, once I get further in I'll see where I'm at.

My and my husband have been moving in this direction for years, doing most of our eating at home cooking real food not boxed. We ate a lot of basmati or jasmine rice with a meat and vegetable (him not so much the vegetable). I've been a serious water drinker for about 10 years so my water intake is not an issue.My other daily drink was coffee with sugar, possibly a sweet tea once in a while. Soda was maybe once or twice a month if eating out.
    So I felt like I was eating healthy, I ate 100% stone ground bread, didn't snack a lot, was walking 2 to 3 miles a day, with 5 to 6 mile walks on weekends but losing little weight. My husbands job is very active, he's a Superintendent in construction, but can't lose the gut and was getting frustrated. His worst indulgence is Pepsi, he drinks 4 or 5 cans a day. I hope he's cut back, I can't tell, he's in St. Pete working and I have not seen him in a week. I'm going to see if I can get over there, maybe catch a ride when our son goes back on Monday for work. This way I can stock him up on good food, get him set up better. At least our son is knowledgeable about nutrition, he's learned a lot over the past 4 years doing weight lifting, he eats low starch carbs, lots of meat and veggies.

Anyway, jeez I can go on! Silvergirl had made a comment in an email saying when she started she read a book that said do not try and "recreate" your favorite recipes and foods when starting a new way of eating and I totally agree. Its those favorite foods that got you in this condition to begin with, why would you try to recreate them? I have found my cravings have disappeared. I don't want pizza, or red velvet cake, or worse my favorite, red velvet pop tarts! I just don't want them, I don't even want chocolate right now and usually I'd be chowing down on a Almond Joy or a Kit Katt, definitely would have brought a box of Pop Tarts!

So 14 days in and I'm good, great actually. I don't know why I'm counting the days? I'm not on a countdown or count up to lift off LOL

This way of eating is so different than most of what I learned all my life that it is just mind boggling to consider how messed up our nutrition is in the USA. If I continue lose weight and feel good doing this, it will just be, I don't know, disgusting and immoral that we've been led down the bad nutrition path all these years. The only thing they have right is eat fruits and vegetables!!
    Last edited by cheryl; 08-22-2013 at 01:15 PM.

cheryl is offline Member

Almost 3 weeks!

Tomorrow will be three weeks since I went Primal. I'm posting today because I'm going to the beach tomorrow and won't really get a chance to post. So scale was a happy face today. I'm down 6 pounds in three weeks. The coolest thing is my shape is changing. I can tell from my clothes, my stomach arms and hips have gone down.
    I'm really excited about this!

I have never ever changed my eating where actual love what I'm eating, have no bad cravings, have NO cravings whatsoever, and I don't have mood swings. I'm not tempted by anything, and thats just plain weird!

My husband, the one who bugged me about this plan in the first place, got on my case last night because I'm eating bacon, olives and butter, all fattening foods, oh and I had a pretty big salad with my steak last night, I'm not going to lose weight like this...
    *Sigh*
    He is supper busy with work but he could take the time to the explanation of how Primal Blueprint works. He's the one who bugged ME for 6 months to look into it. Now that I did and I love it, he's not listening.
    I told him he had to give up soda, grains and junk food and its like he can't get his brain around it. Its frustrating, but after 26 years of marriage, I get him. He will become super interested when he sees me losing weight, not going back to the bad foods and not complaining about my lack of junk foods, shoot I don't even want pizza and pizza has been my favorite food my whole life, that and a big salad. Now thinking about sinking my teeth into a piece of pizza is kinda gross. Never thought I'd see this day.

I finally bought the book, I'm trying to read it, just have not had a chance, I'm on chapter 2.
    I have read so much on this site and other Paleo sites that it was simple to understand the plan, but now I want a greater understanding. Plus I absolutely LOVE eating like this so putting out money for it is acceptable as its not something I'm giving up.

Thats about it for this week!

cheryl is offline Member
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1377946909.983903.jpg

I finally made a kale smoothie I can drink without making the yuk face. I used my mix of frozen fruit (3 strawberries) couple chunks of pineapple and about 4 slices of banana, about 6 blueberries about half bottle of water, 4 oz? I scoop unflavored protein powder, a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a big handful of kale, blend in my little Farberware personal blender, added some more water an kale after blending the chunks and came out to watch the sun rise and drink my masterpiece!
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1377947718.068792.jpg

Life is good!

cheryl is offline Member

Week Four PB - Down 8 Pounds

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    28 days ago I started eating Primal.
    I have cut out all grains and switched to coconut sugar in my coffee and have stayed away from processed foods and foods with added sugar. I cut out milk, which I had anyway. Discovered American cheese hurts my stomach, but cheddar is good.

I always thought giving up bread would be impossible. Its not, its just like any other bad habit, you just pay attention to what you're doing and stop doing the bad habit.

I realize how much grain products have become the main staple of food in our country. My shopping is all about the outside aisles, produce, meat and some Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, butter and frozen fruits & veggies, and that's it!
    The rest of the store is boxed processed food.

I'm finding it frighteningly easy to eat this way. It kind of boggles my mind because changing my eating in the past has always been such a struggle, the new eating plan always came with a lot of hassle, separate meals from the rest of the family, eating out was a chore and I would get frustrated and give up.

This is simple. Its taken some effort to make sure I'm just eating plain meat and vegetables if eating out but its not crazy hard.

My energy levels are AWESOME! Ever since my strokes and the diagnoses of central nervous system vasculitis in 1999, I have been fighting this dragging exhaustion most every day, I got so sick of feeling tired and having to nap sometimes, and just feeling blah.

Now I'm up before 6 am and go all day. Love it!

I have not really "exercised". Since my energy is good I have been cleaning a lot, going in the pool and treading water and swimming around for like an hour.

I've done a couple 2 mile walks, but that's it.

Right now focusing of the food aspect.

I had my doubts going into this, figured it was a lot of hype, a fad diet.

For ME personally, removing grains from my diet is the thing I've been looking for all my life, the magic pill that makes my fat disappear and makes me feel great. The holy grail!

Losing 8 pounds in one month might not seem like a lot of weight to some, but for me, a 46 year old pre-menopausal woman with a messed up metabolism from years of yo-yo dieting and years of medication, this is a miracle. The best thing is I love the food I'm eating, its easy and its not expensive. Well it would be if I was buying the grass fed beef but I'm not there yet, Spark People taught me about the baby steps, taking baby steps!

I feel no urge to "cheat", have no cravings for bad food. that empty feeling I used to get where I ate and ate but still felt like something was missing is gone. I don't wander the kitchen looking for something to fill that hole anymore. I'm able to eat the foods I was told not to eat all my life because of fat. Olives, bacon, nuts, butter, all delicious and all PB!

Eating like this is not a hardship. Like any new thing there is a learning curve. But out of ALL the eating plans I've tried, and there have been way too many, PB is by by far the most natural easiest one I've done.

I feel like someone released the emergency brake on my body and I am moving forward effortlessly every day instead of pushing and struggling through the day, fighting my hunger and eating food because its low calorie, low fat, not really ever satisfied and feeling guilty because I don't have the willpower to stick it out and lose the weight.

Hopefully this will continue to work for me. I don't like to ever say "This is it! I'm forever changed!" I feel like I'm jinxing myself. Yes, I am that "The glass is half empty" type of person. All I know is so far this has been painless, the only thing I really miss is my coffee with white sugar. Since I cut our grain and white sugar I crave nothing, not even pizza. Obviously the sugar and carbs are like a gateway drug for me sending me into a vicious cycle of overeating and gaining weight.

I feel like I could be that person who passes on that piece of cheesecake because I truly would rather have fresh fruit instead.

Life is good. I'm going to miss St Petersburg and Treasure Island. I hope Ft. Lauderdale is good, don't really like the East coast though. I'm hoping we can get a condo on the beach this time. This is working out pretty good for me. Besides cleaning and cooking and laundry its almost like a vacation.

I think we only have a few more weeks here until this job is done.
    I'm going to miss the hot tub.

IMG_7398.jpg

And my computer spot with the view

v.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cheryl; 09-05-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast