Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: What's happened to this forum? page 33

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    We can, but it tends to be what f*cks people up, because frankly we are all different. Also, it has been my observation based on the various hacks, n=1, advice threads etc, that many new folks (and some less new) will latch on and try what works for someone else without really thinking through what works for them and then they crash and burn or get confused.

Personally I would rather see a 'Men's issues" and a "Women's Issues" subforum. Then 50+ women can avoid the bros and the bros can stop having to sift through 20 threads about menopause or whatever. Then women who want to lose weight can find a community that knows their issues and teenagers trying to get all swole can find their place easily as well.
    To the first bit: So what do you want on the forums? If people are unhappy with the way things are. I've been here for just over 2 years, I don't know if the subforums have evolved much before that, but they haven't changed at all since then. Especially considering how many more people are posting now, I think some structural changes would be implemented if we could get people to chime in on a poll & then submit the link to the admins.

I think subforums somewhere by Men & Women makes sense, though is exclusive of anyone who happens to consider themselves outside of that binary. Anyway, not to make this about gender politics, do other people feel like this could be useful? The NerdFitness forum has a Women's Specific subforum under one of their Fitness headings and it's a very nice space. Guys come in with questions or comments sometimes, but they aren't unwelcome and are generally respectful. Of course, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a subforum for men & women under each of the existing subforums...but it would also be helpful, in some ways (under Nutrition, Athletes, and Fitness...?).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read this thread yet, so I thought I would click on the last page to see how people thing the forum has changed. I read the last dozen posts and thought, "hasn't changed at all."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Not for dudes who are macho...

MANties - Panties made just for men

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Namelesswonder, I wouldn't mind some new subforums. Men, Women, and Non-Primal Approaches to Eating would be what I'd like to see.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think subforums somewhere by Men & Women makes sense, though is exclusive of anyone who happens to consider themselves outside of that binary. Anyway, not to make this about gender politics, do other people feel like this could be useful? The NerdFitness forum has a Women's Specific subforum under one of their Fitness headings and it's a very nice space. Guys come in with questions or comments sometimes, but they aren't unwelcome and are generally respectful. Of course, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a subforum for men & women under each of the existing subforums...but it would also be helpful, in some ways (under Nutrition, Athletes, and Fitness...?).
    I don't think it will help. As it is, there are avenging angels who hijack support threads because the middle-aged women on them ARE DOIN' IT WRONG.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So what are you trying to say, that this is a moving target, and we can never know? That I might be recovering from a serious injury at this moment yet be unaware of this?

I seriously doubt it, not any more than the idea that it would be reasonable to arbitrarily select the low number on the chart because someone prefers to think they need the least.

Each person has their normal range, which is dependent on their own protein metabolism. There is no justification for a person to consume significantly more protein than they need when losing weight. Though I do think people run into trouble if they normally eat borderline not enough, and then eat even less while on a diet and ramping up their exercise.
    The biggest mistake people on this forum make is they think everyone is so "individual." We aren't. We're almost all the same. "What works for me" generally works for almost everyone. The issue is self-control in almost all cases. Skewing your protein content to the high side will almost always result in a leaner physique because protein is almost impossible to be stored as fat on the body, so skewing your protein higher will drop fats and carbs (and overall calories generally due to increased satiety) by default.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I use to think we were all the same.... and we mostly are. But we are also mostly experiencing or have experienced different stressors throughout our lifetime. From preconception to current our experience and subsequent current health is hugely different so the Rx may need to be modified to reflect that fact. Men and Women are different though, no way to get away from that little truth. So are you man or women, born cesarian or vaginal, breast or formula, drug or non drug delivery, vaccinated or not, ever overweight or obese, history of infection and disease, history of trauma and injury, environmental toxins in home or workplace, ergonomics, social network..... ect. This is why a good clinician requires a comprehensive history on a patient. Sure what works for one to lose weight in the most basic sense should work for most.... but that isn't inherently the most healthful way to address things for each person. Its not ALL about body comp. That is only a part of the picture.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-16-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Timthetaco Guest
    As far as sub forums go, I'm not sure if it would generate enough traffic to be warranted, but I'd be interested to see categories for IBS/IBD and autoimmune disease.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I use to think we were all the same.... and we mostly are. But we are also mostly experiencing or have experienced different stressors throughout our lifetime. From preconception to current our experience and subsequent current health is hugely different so the Rx may need to be modified to reflect that fact. Men and Women are different though, no way to get away from that little truth. So are you man or women, born cesarian or vaginal, breast or formula, drug or non drug delivery, vaccinated or not, ever overweight or obese, history of infection and disease, history of trauma and injury, environmental toxins in home or workplace, ergonomics, social network..... ect. This is why a good clinician requires a comprehensive history on a patient. Sure what works for one to lose weight in the most basic sense should work for most.... but that isn't inherently the most healthful way to address things for each person. Its not ALL about body comp. That is only a part of the picture.
    Regarding men versus women, I think the real difference is just the caloric deficit percentage. Generally, a "safe" deficit is around 20%. More than that can result in significant lean mass loss. The average man has a TDEE of around 2500, with the average woman coming in at 1,700. A 20% deficit for a woman is only 340 calories, while for a man it is 500 calories. That means a woman would have to "diet" for nearly 35% longer to see the same total weight loss. Men are just physically larger with more muscle mass. It isn't because of some gender advantage, it is just easier for a larger person to lose more "total weight" than a smaller person.

I don't put nearly as much stock into the hormonal BS as I used to. I believe it to be largely BS that people tell themselves to make themselves feel better. "Oh, I just have a slow metabolism." "It's my genetics." No, it's not Mother Nature's fault. It's not your parents' fault. It's yours. It is a lifetime of bad habits and a lack of willpower. If you truly want to change, it involves a sweeping change of lifestyle. People that are overweight simply have developed bad habits - lack of exercise, lack of home cooking in lieu of takeout or frozen dinners, a self-imposed addiction junk food and high calorie drinks - and the longer you've been following these habits, the harder they are to break. But it can be done! It is the mental game that differs, not the physical game.

Every single person has the genetic ability to be somewhat strong and lean. We may all not be able to maintain chiseled abs - very few of us are, actually - but none of us are born fat and forced to stay fat. It's habitual, and the best way I've found to break these habits is to just not buy the stuff. And in terms of exercise, the hardest part is always just getting to the gym.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Namelesswonder, I wouldn't mind some new subforums. Men, Women, and Non-Primal Approaches to Eating would be what I'd like to see.
    I'm curious about the Non-Primal Approaches idea. What do you mean by that? I'm just kind of imagining a negative space with lots of diet bashing, which doesn't seem particularly helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I don't think it will help. As it is, there are avenging angels who hijack support threads because the middle-aged women on them ARE DOIN' IT WRONG.
    Maybe, but perhaps the separation will discourage that. Honestly, the #1 way to make that kind of thing stop is to ignore it and I really don't understand why more people don't do that. Folks get bored and move on. I am definitely not interested in making it a "woman only" space (and vice versa) because holy hell is that exclusionary. As it is, a Men's sub-forum probably wouldn't get as much activity. Doesn't seem like as many males post about male-specific issues as females do.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    As far as sub forums go, I'm not sure if it would generate enough traffic to be warranted, but I'd be interested to see categories for IBS/IBD and autoimmune disease.
    I'm not sure about the traffic either, but at least for the purposes of organization, it might make the forums a little simpler to navigate. Like, hey, let's talk about Menses, that's probably going to be in the women's sub-forum. Having sub-forums for people dealing with specific issues like what you've described is a cool idea. I certainly wouldn't mind hashing it out with other people dealing with IBS. Not sure how easy it would be to define/limit what sub-forums are necessary though. There are so many afflictions that people deal with! I'd want a mental health sub-forum
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast