Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happened to this forum? page 14

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i keep seeing this phrase mexican coke, like it's supposed to mean something important.....
    Is Mexican coke better than Colombian?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i don't think it is, but i've never had colombian coke before so i'm not sure

*cough* *sniff*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Really what keeps me coming back to MDA are the success stories and the incredible positive changes that have happened in people's lives after adopting a Paleo or Primal lifestyle. I drop into the Forum once or twice a day to see if there is anything interesting and follow the few regular posters I enjoy and share some of my experiences. I generally try to avoid the bickering with people who have an agenda as it's usually just a waste of time, they are after all just trying to get a response that feeds their trolling.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-10-2013 at 07:05 AM.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    ^^ This. I dig you so much, canuck.

We are all here reading the snipping and bickering and we all know who the people are who just cannot let anything go. You learn that quickly here. Some of us just choose not to engage. But those of you who keep acting like shits are total buzzkills.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Really what keeps me coming back to MDA are the success stories and the incredible positive changes that have happened in people's lives after adopting a Paleo or Primal lifestyle. I drop into the Forum once or twice a day to see if there is anything interesting and follow the few regular posters I enjoy and share some of my experiences. I generally try to avoid the bickering with people who have an agenda as it's usually just a waste of time, they are after all just trying to get a response that feeds their trolling.
    Bicker or GTFO!

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I remember hearing Chris Kresser talking about making sure the forum on his site was well moderated / curated to keep things from getting nasty. Although he didn't mention MDA forum specifically, you kinda could imply that's was the site to which he was alluding.

What I find most useful on this site is reading folks personal experiences and what has or hasn't worked for them. As a compilation of n=1 experiments it can be great! What I find least useful is the apostles of one particular faction touting their particular dogma and repeating the same information or linking to the same blog posts. By this time we've all read all the opposing theories, or are new folks that get walloped with them all and get confused.

What folks have to remember when they state their positions about their theory, whether it be CI=CO, Taubsian insulin theories, fat makes you fat, Peat, etc. is that there's probably less actual clinical studies to back up their theories than the CW nutritional advice. It's backed up by dodgy observational studies but that's more than has really been done for the new alternative theories. Unless and until some really good clinical trials are ever done it's hard to say definitively any of the hypotheses are correct.

Unfortunately it would seem that in our reality TV inundated world where everyone wants to argue argue argue on Reddit, message board, twitter, etc. people have no interest in either discussing "studies seem to suggest that X,Y,Z, but lets analyze what that might mean" or posting raw personal data for folks to mull over.

For instance, I posted a thread recently in which I charted out what my "dunk tank" body fat test measurements were for a couple of years and what changes I made to diet during that time. After my weight went up to 175 after holding at 165 for a while, I spent the better part of a year bringing it back down again. ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91313.html ) There seemed to be hardly any interest in a "this is what I did and these are the results I got" thread. It seems to me that posts that are controversial or combative are the ones that get all the attention and those that are informative just don't generate any interest.

I'd just suggest to folks, especially the really frequent posters, that you ask yourself if you're really adding some info to the conversation that isn't available from the source you are citing AND are you making a point or just attacking?
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    You people are all fucking nuts.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Kestrel, I read your dunk tank thread and it was not uninteresting, but it was not a conversation starter either. What was there to say about it? Nothing.

I used to believe in moderate to heavy moderation, but I don't any more. Moderation creates borderline personality disorder type triangulation with the moderator- it just makes the tone of the conversation more insane, not less.

If there is conversation, it will be between people who disagree, otherwise there is no cause for the conversation. The ancient philosophers wrote in dialogue because they believed that the truth is only expressed in dialogue- one person expressing the truth is just dead bones... They cannot transmit anything that is alive.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I agree, Kestrel. I've posted several times in CICO threads on ways a person could test their RDI and determine (while collecting real data) their rate of weight loss or gain (or even body recompositioning) under different controlled dietary regimens to verify their claims. Not a single person expressed interest. Nobody wants to know, especially not those with agendas that are already supported by less than one point on a line.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Heavy moderation sucks. Its a huge plus that this forum hasn't fallen into that pit. I've quit forums for it.... even if they were moderating opinions opposite mine. I don't live to bicker, but I actually prefer to be engaged. I don't need to be surrounded by a bunch of yes men. I'm secure enough in my logic and knowledge to discuss....even aggressively discuss opposing view points. Its a good thing.

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast