Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What do you pay for pastured eggs? page 8

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For $20/mo in organic feed, I get 3-5 eggs/day. Also, free composted chicken manure and the ultimate in insect control. Not to mention the comic relief....

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Absolutely!!! My friend had a few chickens in a pen and coup, but the pen was big and they were able to peck around and eat bugs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    These chickens are in a large penned area, maybe 25' x 50', and they need to be penned or the foxes will eat them (one has already gone missing!). I suspect they eat some bugs, and she told me she feeds them some grain mixture/feed. I notice the shells break more easily than eggs I have bought in any market. The scrambled eggs they make are super yellow! Thanks for the replies!
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Quoniam is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, it would take way too much land to feed chickens exclusively on grass and bugs. Other than the Tropical Traditions coconut-based feed, I believe all chicken feeds are grain-based. I'd just eat the ones from the farmers' market, rather than let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A good question to ask, though, would be how much time the chickens actually spend in grassy areas. As long as it's a little while every day, they're probably far better than anything you can buy in a grocery store.
    Yeah, I picked up some for $4.50 yesterday. They're not bad, I must say - a lot tastier than the grocery store ones. I'm going to try hitting up other farmer's markets in the area. I know the Jackson Heights one is a wash ($5 and up) so I might try Grand Army Plaza and Park Slope (but if they're less than $4.50 in Park Slope, they'll probably all go by the first minute, hah!).

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    I made a test between the Costco USDA organic eggs and the neighbor lady's eggs. In all of the following pictures, the Costco Egg is on the right and the neighbor lady's egg is on the left. I scrambled each egg by itself using 5g of butter and 5g of heavy whipping cream with each egg. The starting weight for each egg was 61g, and the final scrambled eggs weighed 58g each.

Maybe it was just me, but the Costco egg seemed to have a particular flavor, almost like I had added a bit of spice flavoring. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The neighbor's egg was just egg flavor, and almost bland. Maybe the first one had flavor contamination from the pan I used (from the previous use, bacon, perhaps?). Dunno. But as you can see this was not very scientific.

I do like the yellow-ness of the neighbor's egg!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by PBNewby; 08-14-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Eggs take on the flavor of what the hens are fed. True fact.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678