Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you pay for pastured eggs? page 5

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    I'm in Marin county so FYI there are much better options
    Where do you get them and how much are they?

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Where do you get them and how much are they?
    I have been paying $6 but now had to switch farms so now they are 7$ but if we buy 15 dozen the price drops to $6 a dozen. I go through 10 dozen a month... Care to buy 5 dozen so we can get a discount?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    On special at our local farm, $2 per dozen for duck eggs, $2.50 for chicken eggs. Normally $3 a dozen.

elvenhp is offline Member
    $5.00 dozen at HEB in Texas and at farmers market

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Usually $6, have another place I go when I can where they are $4.50

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I get them from my own chickens now, and usually bring them to work for people for free I can never eat the number just my own 10 hens produce.

That said, I haven't had a white egg in months. Mine come out yellow, blue, and pink.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I get them from my own chickens now, and usually bring them to work for people for free I can never eat the number just my own 10 hens produce.

That said, I haven't had a white egg in months. Mine come out yellow, blue, and pink.
    10 hens huh? I was thinking about 6 would be good for my family of four to live on the eggs... Still haven't pulled the trigger on building the hen house and getting the hens though.

Its kinda hard to when I can get the exact eggs I'm looking for for just $2.

It was more an idea of making sure my kids experience the raising and collecting of their own food in a non-slaughterhouse manner . We already got the fruit, berries, and veggies.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    6 would be more than enough for a family of 4, given they are of good laying age. I got mine as a clean up crew/tick sweeper team to patrol the other pens. I plan on slaughtering 4-5 before winter hits. They are old, had good lives, and will cost a lot to feed all winter. Plus 2 of mine are broody at present, so we will have a BIG surplus if we don't eat a few.

I wouldn't do it for money though. Just feed is about $20 a month, no matter your source. Just eggs isn't a good enough reason...your other one though, for an experience for the children, is a great one though. No mini-me's yet for me. I can't imagine trying to show this all to them.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    10 hens huh? I was thinking about 6 would be good for my family of four to live on the eggs... Still haven't pulled the trigger on building the hen house and getting the hens though.

Its kinda hard to when I can get the exact eggs I'm looking for for just $2.

It was more an idea of making sure my kids experience the raising and collecting of their own food in a non-slaughterhouse manner . We already got the fruit, berries, and veggies.
    We started with 10 hens and we were soon calling our eight y/o 'The Chicken Whisperer'. The kids treat them some-what as pets. They have names so apparently we will NOT be butchering any of them.
    We have 4 or 5 varieties but the Red Stars are little machines. Our Brahmas lay huge extra-large eggs and made us think a goose was sneaking into hen house.
    Any money from the egg sales goes into the 'egg-kity' and then it's divided between the boys cuz they do the chicken chores.
    It's been a good experience for them. The 8 y/o wants to exhibit some in 4-H.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I can get them for around 5 bucks a dozen in Illinois.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast