Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you pay for pastured eggs? page 4

DFord is offline Member
    Shop Now
    1.50 dozen for them from a local farmer.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Mine are FREE.... we have 29 chickens that roam the farm. I have a few 'customers' that are regulars but I only charge a free-will donation. It's usually about $2.00 per dozen.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Right now, $3/dz for medium eggs at the farmers market. I know they're pastured, but probably not organic. From speaking with urban chicken aficionados, organically raising chickens is a rather impractical task, and there's no guarantee that your chickens aren't feasting on non-organic material that they scratch up. The yolks are large and bright orange and taste like butter, so that's good enough for me
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

KT79 is offline Member
    $5 for a dozen as part of our CSA box. Our local farmer's market has them for $6 a dozen.

We're right outside Chicago and it's a bit more expensive here; my parents' farmer's market in Indiana has them for $3 a dozen - plus they carry duck eggs - so we always stock up when we visit.

Laura B is offline Member
    $3.00 from friend at work or $4-$5 at local health food store.

Quoniam is offline Junior Member
    I wish I knew where to get pastured eggs in NYC. Whenever I go to Farmer's markets, all I see is 'vegetarian,' and they mention the grain they feed them... can they be pastured in spite of that?

Anyone know anywhere? I promise not to bite into your weekly supply; I don't eat -that- many.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoniam View Post
    I wish I knew where to get pastured eggs in NYC. Whenever I go to Farmer's markets, all I see is 'vegetarian,' and they mention the grain they feed them... can they be pastured in spite of that?

Anyone know anywhere? I promise not to bite into your weekly supply; I don't eat -that- many.
    Yeah, it would take way too much land to feed chickens exclusively on grass and bugs. Other than the Tropical Traditions coconut-based feed, I believe all chicken feeds are grain-based. I'd just eat the ones from the farmers' market, rather than let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A good question to ask, though, would be how much time the chickens actually spend in grassy areas. As long as it's a little while every day, they're probably far better than anything you can buy in a grocery store.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    $6 at my local health food store

Giblets is online now Member
    I live in Amish country ... the Amish farmers sell eggs to the local health food store, which re-sells at $2/dozen.

I didn't realize what a bargain I was getting, until I read this thread ....

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I pay $ 2.60 for 30 large eggs...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast