Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you ever check your blood sugar? page

reamz is offline Senior Member

do you ever check your blood sugar?

Shop Now
    So i bought a blood sugar monitor a couple of weeks back just to see how my body reacts to different foods...I did notice something interesting though..
    the first time i check edmy fasting BS (in the morning) is was around 88mg/dl. I remember i ate my meal (i tend to eat once per day usually VLC or ZC) and i ate meat,fat and also had some coconut milk and eggs (maybe around 25g total carbs) and was quite shocked to see my BS rise to something like 200, around 2 hours later!
    And then a week later or so, i decided to up my carbs a bit for a few days and had about 60g of carbs in the form of white rice. On the 3rd day i did some weightlifting straight after eating and my BS was around 120 an hour later. But the funny thing was, the next day my fasting BS had dropped to like 74, and stayed pretty constant. I ate a ZC meal in the evening, i think it dipped to 70 at some point then back to around 74 before i went to bed!

And for the past week i've been eating super high fat (85% calories from fat approx) and more calories (about 500 calories more per day), Checked my BS as soon as i woke up - it was 67! And i wasn't even feeling hungry! i hadnt even had a perfect night sleep (was a bit stressed at getting woken up early by the people who are doing our bathroom)
    And 2 hours after i started dinner it was 73.

Anyway, its kinda fun testing how my BS varies...it seems minimizing the protein seems to keep BS low, and also coconut milk with my main meal really does spike the blood sugar.
    Anyone else do the same, and if so how do you react to certain foods?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I can sorta feel that protein powder with coconut milk is has a potent insuligenic effect, but the milk was in the fridge and i had to get rid of it. It was super tasty
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    this is interesting. i have been wanting to get one just to see how different food effects me, and i am trying to gain weight so it makes me even more interested

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I've actually noticed that my fasting blood sugars are HIGHER while eating primal and I was going to ask about this. I'm not diabetic but have higher than normal blood sugars and all I can think is the lack of carbs is stopping any hyperinsulinemia but I haven't increased insulin sensitivity enough yet to have my body even itself out, thus resulting in higher blood sugars? Does that make sense because I am confused about why my fasting blood sugars are worse and when I eat a high carb meal occasionally my blood sugars go higher than they ever did eating my old diet (very high carb) It's weird.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I just reread this section in GCBC but this may explain it - there is a window of time in early diabetes where the body can compensate for the hyperinsulinemia by making the muscles insulin resistant and the fat more insulin sensitive. So a high carb diet during this time will inrease the insulin sensitivity of your fat, and overall insulin sensitivity will go up (but worsens the cycle of weight gain and obesity as the fat stores are now storing more fat). It was this finding that had Joslin and other diabetes doctors recommend high carb diets for diabetics (which seems crazy on the face of it). Unfortunately, as time goes on, the fat stores become insulin resistant too, and then sugar starts to get super high and spill into the urine and whatnot. Most doctors and nutritionists for diabetes now will recommend a lower carb approach. Or they better.

Thanks for posting that, I read GCBC but it was a while ago and I definately forgot that part. I wonder how long it takes to increase my insulin sensitivity in the muscles enough to cancel out this effect though....if it can be done at all. Do you know if the low carb diet or exercise will have the greater effect on increasing insulin sensitity?. I'm guessing both so I should drop my carbs more and walk way more.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Staffan Lindeberg did a few studies on paleo diets and diabetes and it worked better than the standard recommended Mediterranean diet. His paleo diet emphasized lean meats and they used canola oil (more like a Cordean paleo than a Sisson primal). If I were diabetic or predisbetic, I would actually cool it a bit on the pure sat fats (butter, lard, etc) until a bit of weight was lost, then add them in. There is some evidence that sat fats increase insulin resistance though this is likely a perfectly normal physiological reaction. I'm only saying what I might do. There are smarter people around here who will likely beg to differ.

I was actually going to try cutting out all dairy for a month or more and to stop using added fats so much so the weight will come off faster. With what you said it definately makes sense to try that for a while, thanks for the advice!

reamz is offline Senior Member
    When i first tested my BS it seemed slightly high, and i was told that when low carbing, your muscles become insulin resistant to spare glucose for your brain - there's a post on hyperlipid here : http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...esistance.html .
    it seems HbA1c is a better indicator .
    Neverthless i'm a bit confused why my BS decreased when i went higher fat..

Adamina is offline Junior Member
    Glucosometer...diabetics use these all the time. Why in the world would you even consider changing your blood sugar? that is deadly! Normal resting blood sugar should be 100 or so. Low blood sugar is 80, high blood sugar starts at about 120. Leave well enough alone. You can gain nothing by intake of sugar...except eventual fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast