Thread: So good I cannot believe it - hello from the midwest page

grokina is offline Member

So good I cannot believe it - hello from the midwest

Shop Now
    So... hello there, I'm a newbie in the midwest.

In the past few weeks I've been reading MDA and incorporating more and more of the PB, though I cut out grains a few months ago. I would estimate that I'm about 95% primal at this point. I'd like to improve energy, sleep, anxiety, and, especially, cognition. I'm a graduate student, so this is essential.

In the past week, I've noticed exponential improvements. This may be due to a number of factors that I very recently changed, including: increased Vitamin D, increased fish oil, increased fats, cutting out peanut butter, eating a bunch of coconut butter and taking one of those nutty 'greens' powders daily.

In the past, at this time of the month (sorry, guys), I would need to lie down most of the day for 1-2 days. Needless to say this felt debilitating. This time around, I'm taking the dog on long walks and feel substantial mental and physical energy. Too much to be believed, in fact.

I'm also trying to incorporate more alkaline foods, and it's nice the PB seems to line up with this. After some research on the topic, it seems that acidosis is quite a rampant problem in Western diets. Curious if any other PBers are a little obsessed with this combination of things, as I am right now....

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm glad you are doing so well! Keep up the great work! I've only made minor switches so far, I have a long way to go!
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Grokina!!!

The subject of acid/alkaline balance was just recently brought up here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...=acid-alkaline

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome! I'm totally obsessed like you... I've seen all the same great results (minus that 'girl stuff' of course).

I also looked into the acid/base issue and I have got some pH test strips to sort get an idea of where things are and how my meals alter things. I've found that most of the time I'm still slightly acidic unless its within a few hours of eating a ton of veggies or I've made an effort to add lots of lemon juice to all the water I drink. Not sure what all this means or that I'm really concerned about it, but it seems like you've gotta really make an effort to keep things balanced.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! It's always good seeing another primal midwesterner.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Where exactly are you from in the midwest? I live in Michigan at the moment...

I have been curious about the acid/alkaline balance as well... this is one reasons why Mark suggest to eat loads of veggies!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

grokina is offline Member
    ^ Same, but I'm not in Grand Rapids...

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Lecz0r, it's interesting that you're testing acidic a lot of the time, I wonder why that is. I have yet to buy the pH strips. Instead I'm loading up on greens and weird hippie green powder.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by grokina View Post
    ^ Same, but I'm not in Grand Rapids...

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Lecz0r, it's interesting that you're testing acidic a lot of the time, I wonder why that is. I have yet to buy the pH strips. Instead I'm loading up on greens and weird hippie green powder.
    Just a passing curiosity, its a roll of tape that cost like 5 bucks. Ive randomly tested in like 2-3 day intervals whenever I remember. I really don't base anything off it, dont use the data to modify anything. I first started because of some stuff I heard/read both here (in the PB book?) and other places about being overly acidic leeches calcium from the bones in order to balance things out.

All I've really learned is that im very acidic fist thing after I wake up in the morning until I drink some water and that meals seem to affect things for several hours... and you've gotta load up on veggies. When I load up on veggies I see a dramatic slant to base. So... yea, not too helpful. Just eat a lot of veggies =P